Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,787,026 times

Advertisements

What are the best neighborhoods near downtown Seattle for renting? I am a single, older woman in 50's. Affordability and safety are primary concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM

269 posts, read 1,239,865 times
"Near downtown" and "affordable and safe" are almost mutually exclusive qualities, unfortunately. There are things in Belltown just north of downtown but I have the impression that they are pricey. There are things on the shoulder of First Hill and Capitol Hill just east of I-5; there are contradictory posts on this forum about the safety of that area, and I don't know what the prices are. Lower Queen Anne may be an area to look at.

A huge number of apartments in the city have been turned into condos in the last year or so, so if you're looking for a rental situation rather than a purchase, your options are far fewer than was the case just two years ago.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:53 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,654,906 times
WHat price is "affordable"?

And how close to downtown do you want to be? Affordable and safety will be farther away from Downtown. Queen Anne is nice - but it's not quite affordable, but it is nice

Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 PM

170 posts, read 845,095 times
I live in Belltown, walking distance to downtown.

I'm not sure what you consider affordable, a price range you are looking for would help us point you in the right direction.

Most apartments in my building range from 900 for a studio to over 1500 a month for multiple room units. However the location is great, the bulding is beautiful and packed full of amenities, and the views you will have are outstanding.

I remember seeing many apartments for rent in Magnolia, Queen Anne, and other surrounding neighborhoods for 700 and 800 a month which is cheap for this area. All one bedrooms but I think I saw a couple that were 2 bedrooms.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,018,343 times
Unless prices have dropped significantly (and that could have happened) I rented in Magnolia and paid $1100 a month for a one bedroom with a den. That was in 2000.

I am assuming you aren't moving with children, nor have a concern for school districts.

"Affordable" to me would be Central District - and you will be safe in most place within Seattle as long as you don't go south. CD is a vibrant, ever-changing, revitalized area. My inlaws live there (and have for over 8 years) and they have not had any problems. It's a really nice little community. You have close access to the lake, UW, Madison Park, downtown and Capital Hill. As well as Swedish - which is an excellent hospital.

Ranier Valley, while affordable, would be as south as I would go if I were living alone. It's spotty. Some areas are nice, and charming (my midwife was there) and others are really not where you want to be.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Ranier Valley, while affordable, would be as south as I would go if I were living alone. It's spotty. Some areas are nice, and charming (my midwife was there) and others are really not where you want to be.
I just remembered, I think, the neighborhood area I am talking about here as worth checking out "Columbia City"

Columbia City, Seattle

Columbia City, Seattle, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 AM

62 posts, read 509,408 times
The downtown regions of all major cities are generally filled with crime and other seedy activity. If you want to be affordable and safe, head to the 'burbs and stay away from downtown.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 AM

170 posts, read 845,095 times
Martina, while that may be true of many downtowns across the country that is not so much the case with Seattle.

Seattle is actually an abnormally safe big city. I live in the downtown area and walk/drive all over. I have never felt unsafe in any way. I see women walking in downtown by themselves all the time. As far as large cities in the US, Seattle is as safe as it gets.

With that said, it is a large city no less. You always need to watch where you go and what you do. There are sections of downtown Seattle which are populated here and there by homeless people who look shady. They are for the most part harmless, but never the less care should be taken when crossing these areas.

There is crime in downtown Seattle, don't get me wrong. Its just not so bad that you would want to avoid the area. Realtively speaking it is still safe, particularly for a large city's downtown. Downtown Dallas, as a comparison, was so bad that I refused to drive my car there at night. Many people were the same way. Parking garages in downtown Dallas clean up at nights because nobody wants to park their cars on the streets. Car robberies, assault, and other crimes were common in Dallas. Here in Seattle that kind of stuff is not something that needs to be worried about.

Other than that crime doesn't even become an issue until you get south of SEATAC. The downtown area is actually a very nice place to live. Another nice alternative would be Capitol Hill, Magnolia, and Queen Anne. All locations near downtown but not "inside" downtown.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
The downtown regions of all major cities are generally filled with crime and other seedy activity. If you want to be affordable and safe, head to the 'burbs and stay away from downtown.
Totally NOT true, by any stretch of the imagination. We aren't talking Tacoma... it's Seattle. There are a few sticky areas (White Center, parts of Ranier Valley and anything South of Seattle "can" be spotty).

I have lived in Cap Hill, Magnolia and my inlaws live in CD. It's been fine.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:56 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martina26 View Post
You have got to be kidding!! Where on earth do you live? In a tent out in the woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: