Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM

69 posts, read 344,391 times

Advertisements

Briefly, things have taken a sudden positive turn - a phone call to some old friends led to a resume exchange, and then a phone interview the next day - and things are going very well (and faster than we expected.)

Question is, how long is the commute REALLY if say... work is in Everett, but we decide to live by the Warren Magnusson Park? And then into downtown Seattle?

Mapquest says it's a 25 mile commute to work, or a 35 min drive from the apartment outside the park, to Everett. Is this the case? Does this reflect typical traffic? Is it bus-able?

It also says it's 7 miles from downtown, or 13 mins from Downtown. Is this still the case? And can one take the bus...

Does anyone else do a commute similar to this?

Thanks very much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM

223 posts, read 1,270,397 times
If you are living the View Ridge neighborhood (which includes Magnuson Park) and working in Everett, you are going to have a fairly easy reverse commute. In fact, it will probably take you longer to get to the freeway some days than to get from your onramp to Everett. The afternoon commute could be a bit rough, as traffic often backs up coming into the city in the afternoons, but you should be able to come up with a fair number of alternate routes fairly quickly. Bussing it would be possible, but not very practical. The emphasis on transit is to get people from Everett to Seattle in the morning and the reverse in the afternoon. You'd probably have to catch a Metro bus to downtown Seattle, then transfer to another to get to Aurora Village Transit Center at the county line, then catch a Community Transit bus north to Everett. Easily a couple of hours.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the response - do you know if it's a fairly nice area, meaning, safe?

At least we could catch a bus INTO the city and wouldn't have to worry about parking a car... if busses are safe at night... which I hope they are.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM

The area around Magunson Park has some VERY rich, old Seattle neighborhoods: Windermere and Laurelhurst. It also has a fair amount of middle-class housing and a good amount of student-type apartments, being close to UW. Given the proximity of the high-end neighborhoods, I would guess that the police presence in the area would be pretty heavy. I've never heard of that area having any chronic problems.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM

62 posts, read 509,436 times
This is quite accurate, just refresh the page once you go to the link to update the time of day.

WSDOT - Seattle Area Travel Times

Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Fantastic resource to bookmark, thanks.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM

28 posts, read 133,312 times
Do you really want to live in Seattle? If your work place is in Everett, then I'd live in Mt Vernon or Bellingham. With traffic, you'll be looking at 45 minutes. With traffic about 1/2 hour. Properties N of Seattle is more affordable with better views and less congested. IMO.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Seattle is what he wants, I'm pretty certain. Otherwise, we could live anywhere really, and have better traffic and real estate opportunities. (Or just stay put too. *lol*) I think the main draw is the downtown for him, so I figured finding some place within 15-20mins of Seattle will allow us the city stuff we'd like, but not putting us right in downtown. And shortening the trip to Everett. But I agree with your assessment.

You mentioned views... do you get nice views if you are living more towards the Lake Washington side, or is it pretty flat in comparison to the Sound side?

Thanks again.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,669,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackm3 View Post
Do you really want to live in Seattle? If your work place is in Everett, then I'd live in Mt Vernon or Bellingham. With traffic, you'll be looking at 45 minutes. With traffic about 1/2 hour. Properties N of Seattle is more affordable with better views and less congested. IMO.
Bellingham is more than 45 minutes from Everett- especially with morning traffic coming in from Marysville through Everett. Arlington is about a 30-45 commute. Mt. Vernon would be more.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 PM

Blackm3 obviously doesn't live in the area. The southbound commute into Everett is getting to be pretty bad most every day. Your plan to live in Seattle and commute by car to a near north suburb is one of the most sensible plans I've seen here from someone moving to the area.

As far as views go, you're not going to have one in that area unless you're buying some very expensive real estate. The view properties disappeared years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area