Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
2. I've heard many a native say "all's" as opposed to "all". Example: "All's I know". I've also heard this in Michigan and Ohio, so maybe there's some Midwestern influence?
I've heard southerners do this, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
The only distinctly Washington thing I've noticed is the pronounciation of "bag" "tag" "lag", etc. The A is super-hard. Not sure if this is similar to the upper midwest or not.
This is the thing I noticed the most shortly after moving here. I was at the dentist and while the anesthesia was kicking in, the hygienist asked me if I'd like a "may-gih-zeen". I had to get her to repeat it several times before I could figure out what she was saying. The way she pronounced it I thought she was talking about some sort of...medicine...I guess? For the pain? Now I'm used to it, but it certainly threw me off at first. The only other thing I've noticed that really stood out to me was a girl I overheard talking on her cell phone who pronounced the word "somebody" as "sahm-biddy". But of course I have no idea if she was a native or a transplant.

I will say that after living here for nearly ten months now, when I talk to my mom (from TN) on the phone, her thick southern accent sounds really, really weird to me. And I have a southern accent myself, but not nearly as thick as hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times
Im a native and yeah I can vouch for the "MAYG-azine" and "BAY-g" thing. Its funny because growing up, even in elementary school, it bugged me when people pronouced it that way.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
Theres definitly a slight Canadian influence is some of pronounciations of words like Tommorow, and the "Bay-G" thing is definitly true. But the accent is.more noticeable outside of Seattle.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
No. With native Seattleites, I couldn't tell any difference in their speech from that of a northern Californian. The only speech that was different was their "hate speech," again, toward Californians. I think that's calmed down now.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
The midwest has a certain "twang" to it that is hard to describe in writing. It is kind of a nasal sound, but not especially pronounced. Seattle is more like a "broadcast accent", with words usually enunciated quite clearly and deliberately, like a news announcer would.

Last edited by pw72; 01-18-2013 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
Occassionally you come across a slight bit of a Canadian sound, but for the most part natives do not have an accent. Of course my son is born and bred and I think he sounds like a SoCal surfer. I have run across natives who have a very distinct accent that I can only describe as if they grew up trying to sound Southern. They have a drawl, but don't sound Southern. I always called it the redneck accent because they generally drove a lifted pickup and spent their time "muddin'" in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area