Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 18,019 times

Advertisements

Hello Seattleites! First, big thanks for the invaluable info last summer when we moved here last year. I scoured this forum endlessly.

I have a question I haven't seen asked yet. We have friends coming to visit in July and we want to rent a little house somewhere near water (beach would be great since there will be 3 little ones). Ideally, there would be 2+ bedrooms and 2 bathrooms as there will be 4 adults and 3 kiddos. The goal is to hang out, relax and do nothing. I'd prefer we didn't have to drive more than 2 hours. The problem I've been running into is most places ask for 3 nights to 1 week minimum stay and we can only do 2 nights at most. Anyone know of a great little place that fits the bill?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Checked Ocean Shores area?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Default Yep!

I have looked at Ocean Shores and it looks really, really beautiful but might be too far out this time around. Google says it's closer to 3 hours. Some day we'll make it out there! Thanks though!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Have you looked into VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner

Since you're asking for the 2hr ride radius: Puget Sound Vacation Rentals by Owner: Waterfront Homes and Cottage Rentals | VRBO

Also check out Whidbey Island... there's plenty of B&Bs in the area. I particularly like Fort Casey.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,481 times
I might be partial but Birch Bay might be a good choice. (We just bought a vacation house out there) It's on the Canadian border and sounds like what you are looking for in a relaxing, within two hour getaway. Definitely a small town feel out there but I love it. You can go to Birch Bay Park where and walk along the beach and dig for shells, fly a kite and watch the most amazing sunsets ever. There is a little water park with slides if you are interested in something more touristy (my 11 year old likes it). You can rent bikes from a local shop in town a go for a ride along the bay. It's probably about 30 minutes or less north of Bellingham but there is Birch Bay Square that has a grocery store so no need to travel 30 miles for your groceries. Here are some vacation rentals in the area. Some may rent nightly.

Birch Bay Washington State Vacation Rentals by Owner - Birch Bay Washington State VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Birch Bay Washington State Travel Information

Here is also a website on the area for you to browse.

Birch Bay WA - Visit Birch Bay Washington State

Birch Bay Waterslides

Birch Bay Waterslides - Blaine, WA

Birch Bay Park
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission - Park Information

Let me know if you would like additional information.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Have you looked into VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner
Since you're asking for the 2hr ride radius: Puget Sound Vacation Rentals by Owner: Waterfront Homes and Cottage Rentals | VRBO
Also check out Whidbey Island... there's plenty of B&Bs in the area. I particularly like Fort Casey.
I second Inkpoe's recommendation! We have rented homes using VRBO on several lakes in the past few years, and while some folks may require a 3- or 7-day stay, not all do. Let us know what you come up with!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM

30 posts, read 42,752 times
I have stayed at the Galer Beach house several times through VRBO. VRBO has a great range of rentals.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM

123 posts, read 245,065 times
A third recommendation for VRBO, and target Whidbey and Vashon Islands.
Mutiny Bay is great on Whidbey and you can occasionally get two day rentals.

The worst part is the ferry wait which can sometimes be a couple of hours on busy weekends,
however on Whidbey you can always drive north across deception pass to the mainland.

Last edited by gwix98; 05-23-2012 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have been looking at VRBO, but it'll be great to have a narrower focus. There are so many beautiful places in the PNW to choose from. I think we'll focus on Whidbey Island. My goal is to sit next to the water most of the time, but what are your favorite things to do on Whidbey? Kayaking? Biking?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM

123 posts, read 245,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srieth1 View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions! I have been looking at VRBO, but it'll be great to have a narrower focus. There are so many beautiful places in the PNW to choose from. I think we'll focus on Whidbey Island. My goal is to sit next to the water most of the time, but what are your favorite things to do on Whidbey? Kayaking? Biking?

There are many things to do including biking and Kayaking which is something
I do as well. My wife and I try to rent a place on the SW side of Whidbey once a year (usually Summer), and enjoy the beach. Beautiful sunsets,
nice beaches (for the NW), and the quaint towns of Langley and Coupeville are always fun to check out. Both have art fairs in the summer. I don't think you can go wrong with a choice of Whidbey. Nice wine tasting places as well if you enjoy that.

Finally there is a nice walk/hike on the west side called "Ebey's Landing" which takes you up on a bluff overlooking the west shipping lanes. Spectacular on a nice day. Drop me your email address and I will send you a photo or two from our last trip there. I live very close to the Mukilteo ferry, so day trips to Whidbey are frequent, but a few days really is nicer!

gwix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area