Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
I know i don't live in washington anymore so flame away...

I can't stand the amount of bashing that goes on from transplants about the locals. You guys are guest and should respect the local culture.

You don't hear native washingtonians going to new york city, boston, or d.c. and endlessly bitching about their customs and values. Non of you have to live there so instead insulting the people who built the city you are living in why not attempt to embrace the pacific northwest values and add something instead of just reaping what they have sown.
Um, I hate to break it to you, but it was transplants that largely built this city. Gates was the catalyst for turning Seattle from a trapping and ore mining outpost to a data mining hub, but it would have never happened had he not imported all that talent, and most of the businesses that drive this area today are likewise not borne of locals. I own land here. Even with how I know how to use the system to my advantage, I put more into the state's coffers than the vast majority of people who have been here their whole lives. I'm no "guest". It's also not insulting them to point out things like the fact that they are probably the worst drivers in the entire country. That's just being honest.

BTW, I've heard tons of Washingtonians endlessly ***** about the customs and values of other places i.e. Dallas, Houston, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 AM

118 posts, read 261,408 times
And where is Bill Gates from? That's right, Seattle washington and so is paul allen

Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
And where is Bill Gates from? That's right, Seattle washington and so is paul allen
Gee, I wonder if that might be the reason I specifically stated him by name. Derrrrrrr.

Again, he was the catalyst, but the city wasn't built by locals. And anybody who's ever met the man knows he's not exactly the poster child for "Northwest values"

Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 AM

118 posts, read 261,408 times
My point is maybe locals and transplants would get along a lot better if more transplants would come here with an open mind and embrace the pacific northwest culture instead of trying to change it to be like where they came from.

I recognize its a two way street and that locals need to make an effort as well.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
My point is maybe locals and transplants would get along a lot better if more transplants would come here with an open mind and embrace the pacific northwest culture instead of trying to change it to be like where they came from.

I recognize its a two way street and that locals need to make an effort as well.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
See, that would be perfectly logical - if Seattle were a perfectly logical city. The issue with "embracing the Pacific Northwest culture" is that so many people here live in la-la land instead of the real world. It's hard to embrace that level of absurdity.

When you combine that aspect of the area with the fact that most people who are here today are not "locals", but rather imported talent brought to Seattle for their tech skills - a demographic that is historically very logical and grounded - of course it's going to cause friction. Especially since the transplants are making so much money that it's pushing the locals out, which just makes the locals even more shrill and absurd.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Um, I hate to break it to you, but it was transplants that largely built this city. Gates was the catalyst for turning Seattle from a trapping and ore mining outpost to a data mining hub, but it would have never happened had he not imported all that talent, and most of the businesses that drive this area today are likewise not borne of locals. I own land here. Even with how I know how to use the system to my advantage, I put more into the state's coffers than the vast majority of people who have been here their whole lives. I'm no "guest". It's also not insulting them to point out things like the fact that they are probably the worst drivers in the entire country. That's just being honest.

BTW, I've heard tons of Washingtonians endlessly ***** about the customs and values of other places i.e. Dallas, Houston, etc.
Seattle was never an ore mining, or trapping outpost. Maybe if you knew something of Seattle's history I would take your post seriously.

Also, how do you figure that just because you own land here you have put more into the state's coffers than the "vast majority" of the locals...?

Absurd...

Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
See, that would be perfectly logical - if Seattle were a perfectly logical city. The issue with "embracing the Pacific Northwest culture" is that so many people here live in la-la land instead of the real world. It's hard to embrace that level of absurdity.

When you combine that aspect of the area with the fact that most people who are here today are not "locals", but rather imported talent brought to Seattle for their tech skills - a demographic that is historically very logical and grounded - of course it's going to cause friction. Especially since the transplants are making so much money that it's pushing the locals out, which just makes the locals even more shrill and absurd.
Oh yes...just because some of us have different values we live in la-la land...

More absurdity.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Google it. It's a real term. I hear more people refer to them as those than I do as Subarus. The native born thing I don't know that I so much get - passive aggressive freakshow hippies come from all up and down the west coast, there's no way of telling if one is native or from Portland/Eugene/San Francisco.
I'm not going to google anything...and I don't care if it's a real term or not.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Seattle was never an ore mining, or trapping outpost. Maybe if you knew something of Seattle's history I would take your post seriously.

Also, how do you figure that just because you own land here you have put more into the state's coffers than the "vast majority" of the locals...?

Absurd...
Seattle was a stopover for trappers and miners working their way up into Canada and Alaska. Learn some history before you talk about others not knowing their history.

And the fact that I own land isn't why I put more into the state's coffers than the vast majority, it's the fact that I make significantly more and spend significantly more than the vast majority. And yes, also due to the value of the land I own.

Quote:
I'm not going to google anything...and I don't care if it's a real term or not.
Of course not, because you don't care about things like facts. Anyhow, thread's gone off topic enough. Back to bashing the inept drivers of this city (and apparently the thin-skinned passive aggressive folk who take offense at bashing bad drivers of this city, probably because they're one and the same).

Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Seattle was a stopover for trappers and miners working their way up into Canada and Alaska. Learn some history before you talk about others not knowing their history.
Don't lecture me about Seattle's history...you clearly know nothing about it.

Ore mining...where did you come up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area