Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisms86 View Post
Are we looking at the same plan? I'm looking at the original post, with lines to West Seattle and another that follows 99 north.

Adding rail onto I-5 is probably just as easy as digging a tunnel under Seattle. I'm not an engineer but if we were able to add express lanes, I think we could find a place for a little train.

edit: I think you misunderstood my wording. When I say "we are" I mean "we are" under this plan
What the OP posted isn't official... it's what he and the support group wants. Its their vision ("plan"). If you want to know what's the latest (official) project, you'd go to SoundTransit official site: Projects and Plans - SoundTransit

Putting the rail on the i5 doesn't really serve neighborhoods though. Hwy 99 rail would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:11 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Putting the rail on the i5 doesn't really serve neighborhoods though. Hwy 99 rail would.

I think 99 or 1-5, If each station has tons of parking, this will help with the congestion on I-5. I know how seattle promotes people leaving their cars, but this way, I believe many people will use the light rail.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 PM

510 posts, read 888,934 times
Agree Civic94. If they could get a park and ride set up for a light rail that easily delivered people some place convenient it would be great. When I lived in Connecticut we would drive to New Haven (roughly where the traffic for NYC started to get bad) then get on the train to downtown Manhattan. They had great parking available at the train station and many people used that method.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I think 99 or 1-5, If each station has tons of parking, this will help with the congestion on I-5. I know how seattle promotes people leaving their cars, but this way, I believe many people will use the light rail.
And that's the crux of the problem here is that not every place can offer such parking. There's been already issues where people just went ahead and parked at a Safeway only to have their cars towed and also places where that decide they're going to charge for parking (that people were willing to pay)-- only to be told they're not allowed to do that.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM

253 posts, read 571,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
And that's the crux of the problem here is that not every place can offer such parking.
I am generally opposed to public built parking around incity Link Stations (and 'free' parking even out in the suburbs), the land is simply too valuable. However depending on the details, I could be convinced that a 1 acre, 6 story parking garage (with groundfloor retail below and commercial and/or retail above) shared between Metro, Sound Transit, and Northgate Mall combined with 5 acres of new TOD is preferable to the current 6 acres of surface parking.

But that is a pretty unique situation.

The Northgate 900 – King County TOD and Access,P&R Policy - Seattle Transit Blog

Quote:
There's been already issues where people just went ahead and parked at a Safeway only to have their cars towed and also places where that decide they're going to charge for parking (that people were willing to pay)-- only to be told they're not allowed to do that.
That was taken care of two years ago:

City Suspends Policy Against Private Park-and-Rides - Seattle Transit Blog

Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Agree Civic94. If they could get a park and ride set up for a light rail that easily delivered people some place convenient it would be great. When I lived in Connecticut we would drive to New Haven (roughly where the traffic for NYC started to get bad) then get on the train to downtown Manhattan. They had great parking available at the train station and many people used that method.
That is more commuter rail than Subway. While I WOULD like to see South Sounder's frequency increased, that is not what Link is about.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
It's a short term v long term and city v regional question. Is building immediate ridership at the cost of future growth, and pushing all the negative externalities of automobiles out from the city and into the suburbs worth it?

My cousin lives in the suburbs north of Atlanta. When we go to visit we'll take MARTA (Forward Trust... *sigh*). B/c they went with the freeway and Park and Ride model, these stations are mostly abandoned and scary as crap. NOTHING around them, and at least at my cousins station, you have to walk THROUGH a giant parking garage just to get to the street. EVERYONE has to drive to the station.

All that did was help push the sprawl out further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area