Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Honestly just visit!! You will know upon entering which one feels right.

Now, personally... I could never live in Portland because it's too small, isn't as vibrant as Seattle, and has less diversity. Now this isn't to say Portland can't do anything better than Seattle-- there are some, just for me it's not enough to overcome.

I love the water and how life and identity is pretty much centered around water here-- that's the one thing PDX can't beat us on. I like how the vibrancy extends further out and away from DT Seattle than it does in PDX. We have several other urban areas as well, with Bellevue DT (the very modern, clean and sleek area) and Tacoma DT (the gritty, full of character and potential). We also have smaller downtown cores that are very nice and many more in the planning/revitalizing (Edmonds, Woodinville, Burien, Kirkland, Renton, Bainbridge Island [Winslow] et. c). Food options here is much better-- now Portland has us beat in the street food, but Seattle is looking to change that up.

I don't know if you and your S/O have kids-- our schools are much better than what's offered in Portland area. We have a couple zoos as well (Woodland, Point Defiance and many small ones as well). And many many kids-centered options all around Puget Sound. And we do have a more educated populace and its also spread out over a greater area. Seattle politics can be absurd-- but Portland has us beat in the amount of absurdities, we're more... normal in that regard, LOL.

Portland does have us beat in the Light rail transit-- but they've also have an early start on the game and a much easier topography to work with. Seattle is still developing theirs and people are very much enthusiastic about it. We have a great bus system as well with other options (Heavy rail Sounder train, water taxi, ferry).

My husband grew up in a Portland suburb (Vancouver, WA). He would never choose Portland over Seattle as he likes the people, the environment, opportunities and even the traffic here better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM

30 posts, read 42,770 times
Thank you Inkpoe! That was the kind of straight forward, advice that my husband and I were looking for. It seems as if we are learning more towards Seattle. Our visit there just couldnt be beat! It might be a bit more expensive in some ways, but I think overall we would be happier there.

thanks so much for your advice!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area