Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM

872 posts, read 2,025,450 times

Advertisements

You don't (at least not yet and hopefully never) know what bad is.

St. Louis Sports, News, Jobs, Classifieds, Entertainment & Weather

There are 6, count them, 6 shootings/murders listed on the front page, today alone!

I am shocked and saddened to hear about these shootings in Seattle, but just remember...it can still be a lot worse.

Enter St. Louis MO:

Man wounded in downtown shooting

Drive-by shooting leaves man hospitalized

Shooting in Gravois Park leaves teen in critical

Teenager found shot dead in Walnut Park West

Stabbing leaves man in critical condition

Florissant police officer out of surgery after shooting

Here is to Seattle's health and hoping Seattle never ever ever trades places with good ol saint louie.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,308 posts, read 80,598,350 times
The recent shootings in Seattle are all in the same area, crime in general is not up, only in the Rainier Valley which has always been bad. There are many cities that would be very pleased with a murder rate as low as Seattle, at less than 20 a year. Having 9 in the first 5 months is still on pace for normal, the main concern is so many so early, when the summer is the most likely time of year for homicide.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 PM

872 posts, read 2,025,450 times
Well someone got shot (non-fatal) near the Space Needle, correct? That isn't Rainier Valley. The one I heard about that is the most scary, is the guy who got shot just driving through downtown. That's bad.

But alas,

Everyone stay calm and carry on. Id much rather live in south Seattle than nearly 70% of any St-Louis areas. There are good areas, but count nearly the entire actual city proper out..or at least a majority.

The poverty line statistic isn't a fair indicator, either.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,804,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Well someone got shot (non-fatal) near the Space Needle, correct? That isn't Rainier Valley. The one I heard about that is the most scary, is the guy who got shot just driving through downtown. That's bad.

But alas,

Everyone stay calm and carry on. Id much rather live in south Seattle than nearly 70% of any St-Louis areas. There are good areas, but count nearly the entire actual city proper out..or at least a majority.

The poverty line statistic isn't a fair indicator, either.
Well, it's one of those "depends on how you look at it" things.

On the one hand, to someone who gets shot, mugged, beaten, raped, etc. in Seattle, it doesn't really matter how dangerous in St. Louis, or in the Helmand Province for that matter.

On the other hand, the chances of you actually being shot, mugged, beaten, raped, etc. are so much exponentially lower in Seattle than in St. Louis that you probably shouldn't worry about it too much.

Stay out of the ID and Rainier Valley at night if possible, and you'll likely be juuuuuust fine.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,279,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The recent shootings in Seattle are all in the same area, crime in general is not up, only in the Rainier Valley which has always been bad. There are many cities that would be very pleased with a murder rate as low as Seattle, at less than 20 a year. Having 9 in the first 5 months is still on pace for normal, the main concern is so many so early, when the summer is the most likely time of year for homicide.
Your facts are off - there have been 16 murders so far this year in Seattle, and it's not even June yet (there were 20 total last year). Not to mention, two of them were random people - a dad caught in a drive-by crossfire while driving with his family and a young woman beat to death in Pioneer Square.

No, it's not as bad as St. Louis or Oakland, but clearly these are some alarming trends.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 AM

118 posts, read 260,955 times
I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of murder that go unreported as well or at least reported as missing persons.

Its pretty easy to hide a body in washington. no body no murder.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,315,406 times
Last year the homicide rate in Seatle was at a 50 year low. I can't see anything that has dramatically changed this year (in spite of the Seattle Times' bleatings about guns), so my conclusion is that this is just statistical aberration.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,352,132 times
I don't care much about how many gang members are getting killed out there. The fewer gang members there are in the world, the better.

The problems in Seattle are stemming from these animals hitting innocent bystanders because they don't care where the other bullets are going when they pull the trigger. It's probably hard to aim a gun when you're holding it sideways.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,700,586 times
Wow, I didn't know Seattle only had 20 murders last year. I think my hometown had about six, and it's roughly 1/30 the size of Seattle.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,612,485 times
To be frank, Seattle does not compare itself to cities like St. Louis - Seattle compares itself to cities like Vancouver. If Seattle had anything close to St. Louis's level of violence, I think a lot of people would consider the city a failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area