Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 PM

510 posts, read 889,850 times

Advertisements

Not trying to drift the thread, but the concealed carry process is a bit more involved for licensing in TX.
TX didn't allow concealed carry until I believe it was the late 90's. They require X number of classroom hours, background checks, mental health screening and a range exam with the firearm the licensee will be carrying. Or they did may have changed.
In WA you just go fill out a couple papers, give them your finger prints and money and you're on your way. I did it at the Kitsap Sheriff's Office years ago and was in there for about 30 minutes total.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,827,275 times
Well, pretty much as long as there are guns, period, then some of them WILL fall into the wrong hands through illegal methods. I am on the fence about gun control. It seems like the only way for it to do any good is turning back the clock and outlawing handguns before they were so widespread. It seems pretty much too late to do anything about it now, but Texas's requirements for concealed carry seem reasonable to me.

But to get back on topic... I was waiting for the bus just a few blocks away from where this guy ditched the stolen car on Delridge Way very shortly after he did so. He could have walked right by me and I wouldn't have been the wiser. Needless to say the bus never came since it was rerouted... A random person in a car told me the street was blocked off so I went back home and checked the news and subsequently locked my door. I had heard/seen police helicopters all morning and was confused why they were there, but then it made more sense. I saw the gun in the car when I drove by... Scary stuff and totally senseless. If you want to be an idiot and kill yourself, go ahead, but don't take out innocent people because you're angry at the world. Tragic.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,219,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
The only answer has to be gun control.
The only answer is nut control. Since we have decided that we can't "afford" insane asylums any more, we have tens of thousands of badly unbalanced people wandering about through society.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
reading the posts. the assumption is tighter gun laws will prevent mass murders. but the people that register guns dont do mass murders.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,645,946 times
Quote:
This guy who murdered these 4 people today supposedly has been arrested multiple times in the past, which means he wouldn't have even passed a background check for a handgun.
Arrests don't preclude "passing" the FBI background check - that would usually take convictions. People are arrested all the time and released without charge, or with minimal charges, and that would not stop someone from purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 AM

130 posts, read 387,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The only answer is nut control. Since we have decided that we can't "afford" insane asylums any more, we have tens of thousands of badly unbalanced people wandering about through society.
Amen to that!! We need our sanitariums back for the sake of all society.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,485,003 times
Have to agree that registering guns isn't going to control people who live in the shadows of society. What I do think might make sense is registering the guns themselves at some point. Because sane people might decide it is OK to make a few bucks selling to a nut. This whole deal about gun shows where anybody, including people with extensive criminal records, can walk in and buy whatever is a bit insane. In a documentary about sales to narcotics gangs in border states, they asked a gun seller why he does it. "Because I can". So there are a lot of people who have no conscience whatever about how they make a buck. I have no qualms about honest people buying the guns they want. But these sociopaths who have no concern about the need or purpose of their customers are accomplices in a lot of brutal crimes.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,383,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Because sane people might decide it is OK to make a few bucks selling to a nut. This whole deal about gun shows where anybody, including people with extensive criminal records, can walk in and buy whatever is a bit insane.

Thank you for understanding. like my previous post, when I lived in philadelphia, people on the street actually asked me if I want to buy a gun. Any nut that wants to do harm can get a gun in any city in America, all you have to do is go to someone that looks like they are up to no good, and ask. Gun laws and regulations do no matter at this point, Im sure many legal gun owners who want to protect themselves will not go AWOL, but desperate or crazy people will if they have no options, and they want others to suffer.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,152,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
Once agian some crazy nut job who should never have been sold a gun in the first place. Am moving from Fla to Seattle over the summer. Shootings are way up here too, even worse than Seattle. The only answer has to be gun control. Until some politician has the guts to push for this, then non will get my vote. This guy had 2 semi automatics. Somebody knew he had them and no one told authorities.....business as usual....
I agree. Guns must be banned, period.

Unfortunately, too many people don't get it. Even most "sane" person can commit a gun-related crime. People are irrational and everybody can get pissed off at any time for any reason, and there are too many reasons everyday to get pissed off.

For some reason, the US has zero tolerance for drugs but 100% tolerance for guns. No logic here. They should legalize marijuana and ban guns.

Peace and love!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM

807 posts, read 2,259,868 times
Everyones a law-abiding gun owner. Until they aren't. How convenient. It's the classic "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy.

Glad to know gun nuts with their semi-automatics think that this kind of stuff is some kind of collateral damage for their "freedumb." Every kid who blows his head off, every massacre...worth it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area