Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM

156 posts, read 302,166 times

Advertisements

OP--Wow...I am exactly where you are at mentally. I grew up in Madison, WI and moved here (Olympia) in 8th grade. Been here 20 years now and I am SOOO ready for a change. I can't handle waiting for summer anymore. The crazy thing is I LOVE the smell of the rain, ocean, sand, dirt, and trees. I love so much about the state...but I can't seem to get through this mental fog. And I don't let weather stop me...I grew up with cold winters and hot summers...I get out...but it gets old trying to pump myself up for things when I just feel blah for soooo long once "winter" is over.

My husband is born and raised here so I'm right where you are in the convincing part! He works in Seattle and we live in Olympia...how he doesn't want the heck out of here I don't know. But he's finally having discussions.

I'm looking at Madison just because I lived there before, it has some very similar characteristics to where I currently live, and I still have family there. The winters will be rough but I want my family to experience something else for at least a couple years and really see if we are true PNWers or if we do need another climate. And I agree with you...sometimes I wonder if I'm nuts to want to uproot and do such a drastic thing...but then I wonder...if I'm thinking this off and on all the time...have I found where I truly want to be...and how will I know.

Anyway...sorry for hijacking but your post sounds so much like what I have felt like for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM

731 posts, read 929,837 times
I spent the entire day indoors yesterday, seething at the weather and looking up places to move to on city-data. My kids were dancing around me complaining because they wanted to scooter and bike. They tried to go out in it, but kept running in to warm up. At one point they actually came in and put on winter hats and gloves! This just isn't good. This morning my youngest asked me when it was going to be summer.

Slan490, I don't know how you got your husband to consider it. I'm actually having a hard time talking to mine right now, since I'm so furious at the thought of being stuck here for the rest of my life for 45 days of "glorious summer". I've actually decided that I'm not shaving my legs until we hit 75 for 2 days in a row. I could be the next Sasquatch sighting!

I'm also considering a rental in Yakima that I could run over to with the kids during the "summer". It's either that or give in to antidepressants. Pretty sad to have to be drugged to live somewhere.

The weather didn't have a huge effect on me until the last 3 years. I don't know what caused the change, but the weather isn't getting any better and neither is my attitude. Does anyone use a sun lamp and does it really work? Any other methods for coping? Any tips for convincing a spouse to consider moving?

South Carolina is looking tempting...

Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM

510 posts, read 885,708 times
I've known people that use the sun lamp. They seem to think it works.
South Carolina would definitely be hot. In the winter time I really don't even remember having to wear a jacket much. Their winter was like the Seattle spring. I lived just outside of Charleston. Charleston itself was kind of expensive, but the communities surrounding could be be quite affordable. It was very humid and lots of bugs.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM

RustIS--Aww the kids...I spent the day on city data and real estate websites while my daughter ran around in her swimsuit with the fireplace on!

I think my husband is just humoring me at this point in hopes that I'll get over it. But he has said he would consider moving. I think he's more of a status quo guy even if he might want something different so me pushing might help him open his eyes.

As for sun lamps I've never tried them but I do exercise and that helps a lot. I think the last 3 years have been really hard for several reasons...having kids changes how you feel because of activities and things to do, the last 3 years have been awful weather-wise for people who do like some blue skies and sun, and the economy and cost of living. A lot of people owe more than their house is worth and with the overwhelming feeling of job loss, house depreciation, and cost of living still going up it has many people feeling trapped.

Other places do have more bugs but they also have screened in sun rooms and porches in a lot of houses...I love that feature! We live near the woods and we have to use Deep woods off to take our dogs for a walk so it's not much different than that. But horseflies, ticks, and chiggers can be annoying.

Hope today was better for you...the sun was out for a while

Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,543,657 times
We did more hiking and biking in the 2 weekends since we left Seattle than the last 6 months up there. I only wish we could have left sooner.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM

[quote=evergraystate;24888398]We did more hiking and biking in the 2 weekends since we left Seattle than the last 6 months up there. I only wish we could have left sooner.[/quote]

Well where'dya move to?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM

31 posts, read 74,525 times
I'm in San Antonio. It's going to hit 106 today. We can't go out either because it's too hot. The A/C units run non-stop and we probably won't see rain until October. It's nearly impossible to keep grass alive.

I'd take Seattle in a heartbeat!! I absolutely hate this place! As a matter of fact, if we could find jobs in Seattle we'd leave tomorrow!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Yeah...there are trade-offs to every place. I definitely would not want extreme heat a lot of the time..or even constant sun. So it's down to the Midwest where you'd have really cold winters or somewhere in CA that is super expensive and not very good schools. Crapshoot anyway ya look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area