Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 12,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1585 View Post
Hey Florian, do you live in/or around that apartment complex? I'd love to ask some questions if you do..
Nah I don't live there. I've just driven by there a couple of times. I live near the Columbia City light rail station so not too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,484 times
the moda is right across the street from recovering drug addict section 8 apartments and addiction services. While I suspect many or even most are on the straight and narrow, i've seen quite a few vagrants populate that stop and the stop immediately before it (if going to belltown from downtown).

So if you want a little adrenaline with your morning commute than it's the perfect spot. Cheaper than a cup of coffee.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 PM

253 posts, read 571,402 times
We got a pretty sweet apartment in Columbia City for $1045. Not Luxury like The Station at Othello but pretty nice. Genessee Park Apartments I think. There are signs for some newly renovated places down at the other end of DT Columbia City, I'll try and get their name.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM

143 posts, read 334,293 times
Hey Ancalagon!

Thanks a bunch for the info, I was actually trying to find info on Genessee Park Apartments, I found nothing except some apts with the same name in San Diego, and some info about pricing but no pics or anything on the apts. I would go drive myself and check it out, but Im in Chicago lol. If you could get the name of those renovated ones that would be excellent or any info on the Genessee Park.. also, how did you like living in Columbia city? Did you feel you could walk around the neighborhood and enjoy it a lot?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
Try padmapper.com.

Also, you might want to consider downtown Bellevue if you are willing to spend over $1100. Avalon Meydenbauer is right next to downtown Bellevue Park and had a decent sized studio for $1150 or so last week. I know that the OP is focused on Seattle, and Bellevue has a bad/snobby reputation amongst many in the Seattle crowd, but I have been here for almost two years and truly love it (I live in a poorer part though, and not in downtown Bellevue).

Service at apartments is also much better in comparison to what I saw at several skyscrapers in Seattle (Belltown).

Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 12,168 times
I think Columbia City is great... walkable, convenient... lots of restaurants, grocery stores etc, light-rail to downtown and the airport. Also probably the most diverse neighborhood in Seattle. Maybe a little less safe than other neighborhoods but also a lot cheaper. I've actually never felt unsafe walking around CC at night.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1585 View Post
Hey Ancalagon!

Thanks a bunch for the info, I was actually trying to find info on Genessee Park Apartments, I found nothing except some apts with the same name in San Diego, and some info about pricing but no pics or anything on the apts. I would go drive myself and check it out, but Im in Chicago lol. If you could get the name of those renovated ones that would be excellent or any info on the Genessee Park.. also, how did you like living in Columbia city? Did you feel you could walk around the neighborhood and enjoy it a lot?
We love it. Go walking about almost everyday. Great shops and restaurants, today was the Farmers Market (every Weds from May till Sep). Genessee Park is cool, and it's a quick walk to the Lake. We do a walking loop north through Genessee then walk down along the Lake to Seward Park, and then South to Othello, walk to the train station and take it back home. We walk or run that a couple times a week.

Here's the walkscore of a place on the other side of DT Columbia City:
3916 S Pearl St Seattle WA 98118 - $825/mo Apartment on Walk Score

And the website of the complex:
pearl street commons - Home

Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Default Moving from San Antonio TX to Seattle

I too have been considering the Station at Othello Park. I keep hearing different things, safe, not safe, high crime on MLK stay away, lovely place, ont he link...I CAN'T take it. I really need some more honest opinions about the area, I do not want to move there and then regret it and be stuck and not safe.
Thanks. Also, I am trying to find a decent apartment locator service, any ideas?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM

6 posts, read 11,418 times
If you haven't been using it yet, I'd recommend using Apartmentratings.com to cross-check the feedback on the apartment complexes you're looking at. It's not perfect, and you have to take the requisite grain of salt with it (since people are more inclined to **** and moan on sites like this), but it could be helpful to see the nature of complaints that people have. I was turned off my Moda by the location, as well as the fact that the owner was pushing me towards them when I visited a completely different property...kinda set off my BS alarm. Also, from what I understand, their units are pretty small...so if you're willing to accept that, it's a matter of how the $/sf compares to whatever else you're looking at.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELTSMERTZ View Post
I too have been considering the Station at Othello Park. I keep hearing different things, safe, not safe, high crime on MLK stay away, lovely place, ont he link...I CAN'T take it. I really need some more honest opinions about the area, I do not want to move there and then regret it and be stuck and not safe.
Thanks. Also, I am trying to find a decent apartment locator service, any ideas?
Okay, so basically minorities scare native Pacific NorthWesterners, so they find the Rainier Valley to be very unsafe, lots of brown people here. Anyone who grew up NOT from the area thinks it's a big joke, and jumps on the great prices.

Now, that's just an opinion. Here's some data, compare the area you are looking at with where you are now.

South Precinct - Seattle Police Department
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area