Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 43,262 times

Advertisements

Well there aint ghettos like LA but there are some ghettos but just not as bad as LA or New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 PM

67 posts, read 256,617 times
okay I'm a Washington native 29 years old..let me tell you I've lived in L.A compared to L.A. no not that bad but still ghetto stay away from south Tacoma..and Lakewood..ghetto ghetto ghetto..there are shootings there almost every night...as far as Seattle..only part that's really ghetto is the Rainier Beach Valley. I agree with some other folks on here crime you can never get away from..but if you want a perfect city.not going to happen..I would try to move to a better part of SF...but Seattle has a lot of nice area's just more expensive then SF. good luck

Old 10-19-2007, 06:50 AM

394 posts, read 1,006,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post
okay I'm a Washington native 29 years old..let me tell you I've lived in L.A compared to L.A. no not that bad but still ghetto stay away from south Tacoma..and Lakewood..ghetto ghetto ghetto..there are shootings there almost every night...as far as Seattle..only part that's really ghetto is the Rainier Beach Valley. I agree with some other folks on here crime you can never get away from..but if you want a perfect city.not going to happen..I would try to move to a better part of SF...but Seattle has a lot of nice area's just more expensive then SF. good luck
huh??? lived in south tacoma area for many yrs. there were NEVER "shootings there almost every night", or anywhere close to it. what a bunch of b.s. now east tacoma may have shootings more often, but again not "almost every night". seattle/tacoma doesn't have real ghettos...never has. also that part about seattle being more expensive than sf???? don't know where you pulled that one out of. seattle prices are too high, but sf housing is the highest in the country!!! do your homework

Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 35,155 times
LOL, Seattle, ghettos? please..I love Seattle but come on ghettos. LOL. I've been to east coast cities 1/5 the size of Seattle and I couldn't the conditions for a city of that size.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 27,235 times
so i actually grew up in White Center, a place where most of the people on this thread say is one of the worst parts of Seattle, which is true.
Rainier (Columbia City), Skyway, some parts of Renton, North Burien (NOT ANY OTHER PART OF BURIEN), Delridge along Delridge Way (the east side of West Seattle), South Park, some parts of Beacon Hill, and parts of the Central District are all pretty bad as well.

To the people who criticize others about how seattle ghettos and other larger cities ghettos (like LA and philly) are much tougher, it doesnt matter. I know a number of kids, some that were friends of mine, who have gotten shot, stabbed, killed or harmed in some way because of all the stereotypical problems related to ghettos (drug dealing, gangs, stuff like that). And lots of these crimes havent ever been shown on the local news or in the papers or anything. its absolutely disgusting.

Ive seen crime happen all the time, i have seen people get shot, my best friend used to be a drug dealer, ive been jumped and had the crap kicked out of me just for my shoes(!) before, but I love white center and the areas of south seattle. maybe im just weird, but i never want to move to any suburban neighborhoods or anywhere on say, the eastside (Bellevue, Mercer Island).

I always get the feeling reading these posts that people who talk about the bad parts of towns and tell people not to move there, have never actually lived there themselves, and really understood those communities.

That wasnt meant to be a bleeding-heart story of my life, but there are more to these neighborhoods, than just the crime related to them.

And for the record, Seattle ghettos are not like other major city ghettos in the sense that they are not primarily made up of one race or minority. Most of the poor areas in seattle have the most diversity of any of the neighborhoods (whites, asians, samoans, blacks, mexicans, etc.), and would surprise people from LA and philly, where black and hispanic ghettos are very common.

Thats my 3 cents.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:09 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Sorry but no matter how hard you try to make Seattle out to be it never has, not even in its worse days compare to the ghettos of the Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Richmond, Newark, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Gary, Memphis and L.A. Seattle's worst doesn't even come close which is a great thing.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 PM

6,709 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
I'm really allergic to ghetto/gangsta lifestyle and culture..
so am I, and Seattle is the most ghetto-free Major League city in this country, it's murder rate of 4 per 100,000 is lower than many suburbs

it's got some run-down pockets that others have mentioned, but a good friend of mine recently moved to a cheap area in the southern part of Seattle from a sketchy neighborhood in Baltimore, and said he's still not used to the fact that he can walk down his street and see windows and occupied housing

Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 31,174 times
rainier beach is worst place a person could live in seattle!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
Well, I guess I'm not so emotionally vulnurable that I'll faint at the site of a wannabe "gangsta". I saw a bunch at the mall in Kent-- to me they just look clownish.

I'm more concerned about the real thing-- when you see it you know it. Just from the cloud of intense hatred and agression that they're surrounded with.
Don't get too confident that Seattle is paradise, there are plenty of problems, such as drive by shootings and the like. I have to say, those Wanna Be Gangstas are alive and well in Seattle, and they do act out violently at times.....real gangbangers or not.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM

84 posts, read 229,307 times
i lived in seattle for 3 years, and it was the absolute safest place i've ever lived, bar none. people will say there are areas that are so bad, but they really have no idea how good even the bad areas are.
i lived in tampa, fl - 2 blocks from our apartment some gangster shot a cop and the helicopters were chasing him, and they were warning people to stay in their houses until he was caught.
i also lived in watsonville, ca -2 hrs south of SF -- a teenager got stabbed by some gangsters directly outside my condo. our downstairs neighbor who was a nurse had to keep pressure on his wound til the police came.

nothing ever happened near us in seattle. nor to any of the family we have that have been there for 20+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area