Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I lived and worked in Oakland for many years, and now work in Seattle and live on the eastside. There is nothing even close to the ghettos of Oakland
here. Yes, there are a few places where you wouldn't like to hang out at night, but I'd compare them to the better parts of Richmond or the worst parts of San Leandro or Hayward. No comparison to Oakland. I never felt that uncomfortable in San Francisco except in the old days in the Hunters Point area. Not having been around there much since 1992 I suppose it may have gotten worse but still can't be as bad as Oakland. Shootings in Seattle are actually pretty rare which is why they get a lot of publicity. Less than 10 murders in 2010, compared to Oakland at over 60 and that's after a significant decrease from previous years.
**1 person dead, 3 wounded in south Seattle shooting | KING5.com .Seattle **police investigate two CD shootings | Seattle 911
**Drive-by shooting suspects caught in Wendy’s drive-through
**Man wounded in West Seattle;
Chance argument led to White Center slaying
U District shooting damages car Tuesday
**Troopers need help finding road rage shooter

**Man shot, killed in Central
District

these are recent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
No one is disputing that crime happens here. What is your point?

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-majo...,3592894.story

Last year, Seattle had 7 murders. 7 murders out of population of 610K. That's just insane.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
No one is disputing that crime happens here. What is your point?

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-majo...,3592894.story

Last year, Seattle had 7 murders. 7 murders out of population of 610K. That's just insane.

look at what I quoted

and there were 19 murders last yr

Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
**1 person dead, 3 wounded in south Seattle shooting | KING5.com .Seattle **police investigate two CD shootings | Seattle 911
**Drive-by shooting suspects caught in Wendy’s drive-through
**Man wounded in West Seattle;
Chance argument led to White Center slaying
U District shooting damages car Tuesday
**Troopers need help finding road rage shooter

**Man shot, killed in Central
District

these are recent
It's easy to find statistics to justify one's own opinion:
Fairly recent stories I've read include:
* Kids run for cover as gunman fires shots near Issaquah High,
* Bellevue burglary rates skyrocket
*Man shot in face outside Kirkland home
So, does that mean the eastside is dangerous and should be avoided?
Looking at the 2010 stats for murder and non negligent manslaughter per 100,000 population, for US cities between 500-700 thousand,
Baltimore 34.8
Washington, DC 21.9
Atlanta 17.3
Milwaukee 15.5
Memphis 13.2
Boston 11.3
Tucson 9.7
Nashville 8.9
Louisville 8.2
Albequerque 7.7
Portland, Or. 3.9
Denver 3.6
Seattle 3.1
Does that mean that there are no bad areas in Seattle? No. Does it mean that gang activity does not exist in Seattle? No, it certainly does, as it does in most cities.
Does it mean that Seattle is a very safe city for it's size? Probably yes.

Last edited by Ira500; 09-28-2011 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's easy to find statistics to justify one's own opinion:
Fairly recent stories I've read include:
* Kids run for cover as gunman fires shots near Issaquah High,
* Bellevue burglary rates skyrocket
*Man shot in face outside Kirkland home
So, does that mean the eastside is dangerous and should be avoided?
Looking at the 2010 stats for murder and non negligent manslaughter per 100,000 population, for US cities between 500-700 thousand,
Baltimore 34.8
Washington, DC 21.9
Atlanta 17.3
Milwaukee 15.5
Memphis 13.2
Boston 11.3
Tucson 9.7
Nashville 8.9
Louisville 8.2
Albequerque 7.7
Portland, Or. 3.9
Denver 3.6
Seattle 3.1
Does that mean that there are no bad areas in Seattle? No. Does it mean that gang activity does not exist in Seattle? No, it certainly does, as it does in most cities.
Does it mean that Seattle is a very safe city for it's size? Probably yes.

Eastside includes what, Bellevue, Kirkland, Bothell, Issaquah, Redmond, Sammish etc etc. We are talking about Seattle proper. If you want, I can include Greater Seattle as well such as shootings in Renton, Everett, Tacoma, Kent, Burien, the list goes on. I am not choosing statistics to justify my opinion. I am simply re-presenting recent unbiased articles of recent shootings which the person I QUOTED mentioned that shootings are rare in Seattle.

Thank you for proving my point. People on here seem to be cherry coating Seattle a little too much. "There are no gangs" "there are no ghettos" "there are no shootings" "there are no crimes"

People need to realize that Seattle, although safer than some cities, is not immune to crime and violence and should therefore not be treated like it was. Maybe once people stop denying that Seattle has its share of problems we can start addressing those issues and prevent crime as much as we can.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. People on here seem to be cherry coating Seattle a little too much. "There are no gangs" "there are no ghettos" "there are no shootings" "there are no crimes"

People need to realize that Seattle, although safer than some cities, is not immune to crime and violence and should therefore not be treated like it was. Maybe once people stop denying that Seattle has its share of problems we can start addressing those issues and prevent crime as much as we can.
Uhm... No one is *denying* anything.... Show us a post where people are saying: "There are no gangs."; "there are no shootings"; "there are no crimes." You can't. Seriously.

The "there are no ghettos" however cannot be "proven" as wrong. Why? Because the question was "Are there real ghettoes in Seattle Area?" Key word: "real". Again, no one is saying there aren't any run down "bad" areas where even there's a horde of non-white folks. If that's what you define as ghetto, then by all means. Obviously there are other people who seen what ghettos look like and laugh at the Seattleite's notion of "ghetto". And they should... because the notion is almost indulgent. Yet here we are on C-D, always telling people which are the good areas and bad areas of Seattle (even in this thread) -- no one is cherry-coating anything.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Eastside includes what, Bellevue, Kirkland, Bothell, Issaquah, Redmond, Sammish etc etc. We are talking about Seattle proper. If you want, I can include Greater Seattle as well such as shootings in Renton, Everett, Tacoma, Kent, Burien, the list goes on. I am not choosing statistics to justify my opinion. I am simply re-presenting recent unbiased articles of recent shootings which the person I QUOTED mentioned that shootings are rare in Seattle.

I'm actually agreeing with you, at least mostly. People do need to exercise caution in cities. That's the nature of the beast. Gangs exist. Shootings happen. There is crime, and doing what one can to prevent becoming a victim of crime is a practical thing to do.
But...shootings are rare in Seattle, the lowest rate for any US city of it's size.
And compared to places like DC, Boston, Philly, Atlanta, Memphis, Baltimore, etc. Seattle is a pretty mellow place violent crime wise. And also in terms of there being really high crime, run down areas that are just scary to walk around in, even during daylight hours, which is how I define ghetto? I just can't think of any in Seattle. Doesn't mean you should walk around Pioneer Square or Belltown or Rainier Beach or White Center counting your twenty dollar bills on the sidewalk, or leave your house unlocked, or your lawnmower out in plain sight. It's important to not be stupid, even in one of America's safest cities.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Any budget with Ron Sims fingerprints on it is by far the most ghetto area in the entire state. Even more ghetto than Mattawa. I hear the clown is going to run for Seattle mayor. He will be defeated unless Seattle wants to imitate Detroit.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM

72 posts, read 178,750 times
Parts of south W Seatte are slummy and Tacoma has a few spots that are just scuzzy but I don't think I would call it a ghetto, certainly not like an Oakland or Richmond.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post
of course bad things can happen anywhere, i'm just saying they're less likely to happen in seattle.
where i lived in CA all the kids at the local schools had to wear either black, white or gray so that nobody was wearing gang colors.
there are places where occasionally bad things happen, and then there are places where bad things are a lot more likely to happen.
The same GANGSTA *rap happens in Seattle, maybe not in your neck of the woods.......but, it is there.

Even the Wanna-be's can be big trouble, hurt someone to show off......then laugh about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area