Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:41 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

I detest the thunder and any other venture that is tied to clay bennett - I wish them nothing but miserable, abject failure

However, with that said - they, along with most of the NBA are completely irrelevant to me ..... I watch so little NBA basketball

So while it would be awful to have the thunder win the championship it's not something that I think I would really notice - it would just be another reason to keep the TV off NBA programing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 PM

38 posts, read 106,261 times
lots of bitterness up in hurr. I personally love their young core of players, but I suppose the enmity is well-deserved.

Also, Harden's beard.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM

325 posts, read 787,532 times
Me caring about the Thunder once they stopped being the Sonics would be like caring about an ex-girlfriend and who she is going out with after we've broken up. It's over, so it doesn't matter to me whether the Thunder are NBA champions or win 10 games a year.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
As a native Oklahoman I watched the documentary and really didn't learn anything new about the situation other than he loss of the 30 million in the settlement.

I think the most succinct perspective came from the Donaldson guy (Seattle Center) who said that Bennett took a calculated risk that Seattle and the state of Washington wouldn't build a new building.

It is important to note that OKC built an NBA ready arena on it's own back without even having a team. I think Bennett knew after seeing the Hornets in OKC when they were there that NBA would work in OKC.

From my perspective I truly believe that Bennett would have been forced to stay in Seattle had the arena been built. In that way Bennett couldn't lose in this deal. Have a nice shiny building in a big time market, or have a team in his home town that was begging for a professional franchise.

With no arena on the horizon what should Bennett have done to suit Seattle Sonic fans?

In the end I don't understand why people in Seattle are so angry with Bennett when this whole thing could have been avoided with the funding a new arena.

Shultz might not have sold; Bennett would not have been interested or perhaps would have been forced to stay; A local buyer might have been interested so that Shultz might have not have had to sell to Bennett.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Shultz will forever be remembered as the man responsible for Seattle losing a major league team. Yes, there are other factors involved here, but he was, and is, rich enough to prevent it from happening. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:07 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times
after watching the video, its very sad. Even though I was born in boston and am a big celtics fan. Bennett totally screwed seattle over.

Im also a very big kevin durant fan, and now they are in the finals, durant is 23, westbrook is 23, and harden is 22. they are not even in their prime yet, and they are already in the finals. OKC has a complete team, with a hardcore defense center in perkins, shotblocker power forward in ibaka, superstar small forward in durant, a great player in harden, and a all star in westbrook, with a deep bench.

a couple years from now, kobe will be old, celtics big 3 will retire, tim duncan and Dirk will slow down. the only teams that are any good will be the heat and the bulls in the east, and for the west its all going to OKC, its completely wide open for them. harden, durant, and westbrook will hit their primes and all hell is going to break loose. Its pretty sad that durant was drafted by seattle, played for 1 season, then drafted westbrook and Ibaka and left.

Last edited by civic94; 06-09-2012 at 03:21 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As a native Oklahoman I watched the documentary and really didn't learn anything new about the situation other than he loss of the 30 million in the settlement.

I think the most succinct perspective came from the Donaldson guy (Seattle Center) who said that Bennett took a calculated risk that Seattle and the state of Washington wouldn't build a new building.

It is important to note that OKC built an NBA ready arena on it's own back without even having a team. I think Bennett knew after seeing the Hornets in OKC when they were there that NBA would work in OKC.

From my perspective I truly believe that Bennett would have been forced to stay in Seattle had the arena been built. In that way Bennett couldn't lose in this deal. Have a nice shiny building in a big time market, or have a team in his home town that was begging for a professional franchise.

With no arena on the horizon what should Bennett have done to suit Seattle Sonic fans?

In the end I don't understand why people in Seattle are so angry with Bennett when this whole thing could have been avoided with the funding a new arena.

Shultz might not have sold; Bennett would not have been interested or perhaps would have been forced to stay; A local buyer might have been interested so that Shultz might have not have had to sell to Bennett.
Because... it's just not as easy as you're making it sound. And of course it's easy to sit there and believe that its easy when you're not already dealing with other pro teams and their stadiums.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Shultz will forever be remembered as the man responsible for Seattle losing a major league team.
He pretty much made everyone forget about the Soriano's and the Pilots.
HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He pretty much made everyone forget about the Soriano's and the Pilots.
HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
Yes and Seattle gained the Mariners because of that debacle.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 PM

48 posts, read 98,837 times
I have nothing to add to this thread except for....

Thunder Up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area