Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

I still can't understand why Boeing left Seattle and went to Chicago. That city is a mess compared to Seattle and the crime is out of control. I read of random attacks and mass shooting there that make Seattle look like a country village.

The latest:
Weekend violence kills 6; about 40 hurt - chicagotribune.com

Cops: Man beaten by group in Gold Coast neighborhood - chicagotribune.com

These stories are not isolated incidents. Chicago has more murders in one month than Seattle had all last year.
Also, Illinois is raising taxes on businesses and corporations to make it one of the highest taxed states in the country.
At least some people at Boeing have got to be regretting the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 21,085 times
Really? I guess you arent keeping up with the local news here. As someone who has spent considerable time on both areas, per capita Chi is safer than Seattle. DOJ isnt investigating Chi police dept.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM

143 posts, read 334,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I still can't understand why Boeing left Seattle and went to Chicago. That city is a mess compared to Seattle and the crime is out of control. I read of random attacks and mass shooting there that make Seattle look like a country village.

The latest:
Weekend violence kills 6; about 40 hurt - chicagotribune.com

Cops: Man beaten by group in Gold Coast neighborhood - chicagotribune.com

These stories are not isolated incidents. Chicago has more murders in one month than Seattle had all last year.
Also, Illinois is raising taxes on businesses and corporations to make it one of the highest taxed states in the country.
At least some people at Boeing have got to be regretting the move.
Hey Kanhawk, no offense, but have you been to this area of Chicago where the head quarters is housed? It's literally about a mile away from the heart of Chicago, and therefore the best and most expensive area. Crime is an issue for the city for sure, no one will argue that. However, in the area the headquarters is in, I'm sure (and also I can personally attest to it) that the average person is not worried about their safety when they go into work there. Also, it's got great public transport access so that leaves the employees to live wherever they want in the city to come into work so they can choose one of the safer neighborhoods on the north side, near south side (like south loop), or west side near work.

The rest of your claims I'd agree with. Not sure why Boeing left for Chicago b/c Chicago is certainly a high tax city, but who knows what kind of deal they have going on? If you dig up anything else I'd love to be informed too. But yea, Chicago is kinda awesome though... Just sayin

Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1585 View Post
The rest of your claims I'd agree with. Not sure why Boeing left for Chicago b/c Chicago is certainly a high tax city, but who knows what kind of deal they have going on? If you dig up anything else I'd love to be informed too. But yea, Chicago is kinda awesome though... Just sayin
IIRC, the CEO is from Barrington Hills (some posh town north of Chicago) and basically got some sweet tax breaks from Chicago/IL. At the time, the WA gov't wasn't really willing to give too much/more of a tax break since Boeing receives so much already.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Boeing's HQ move to Chicago was completely political. They already were getting huge tax breaks here in Washington (and still do, since they only moved a few hundred corporate employees to Chicago and left their manufacturing here and elsewhere). They did it to gain favor with politicians from one more influential state (Illinois), and distance itself from states that maybe had been taking Boeing for granted. Besides, the company's executive management team has very little attachment to Seattle, as its a hodgepodge of former executives from McD-Douglas and other major U.S. manufacturers.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Boeing's HQ move to Chicago was completely political. They already were getting huge tax breaks here in Washington (and still do, since they only moved a few hundred corporate employees to Chicago and left their manufacturing here and elsewhere). They did it to gain favor with politicians from one more influential state (Illinois), and distance itself from states that maybe had been taking Boeing for granted. Besides, the company's executive management team has very little attachment to Seattle, as its a hodgepodge of former executives from McD-Douglas and other major U.S. manufacturers.
Maybe I should find a way to buy the company or become CEO then have headquarters moved BACK to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area