Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 10,787 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old moving to Seattle soon and I'm looking at apartments to rent. My income is 90k and I'm looking at places in SLU that are on the higher end of $1500-$2000/m. This seems like a lot to spend on a 1 bedroom apartment.

The square footage for these is between 650 and 850. Can I afford this much in Seattle or should I be looking at cheaper places? Any opinions on the SLU area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
that's a lot considering the fact you can buy a nice house in the north suburbs 1500-2000 sq ft for 1300/1800 a month with with property taxes and insurance included if you have good credit history.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 AM

84 posts, read 170,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoundAndDown View Post
I'm a 22 year old moving to Seattle soon and I'm looking at apartments to rent. My income is 90k and I'm looking at places in SLU that are on the higher end of $1500-$2000/m. This seems like a lot to spend on a 1 bedroom apartment.

The square footage for these is between 650 and 850. Can I afford this much in Seattle or should I be looking at cheaper places? Any opinions on the SLU area?
If you're making 90,000 a year buy a house. You'll get back a few months worth of rent you'd pay on an apartment just from the tax refund.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 AM

102 posts, read 274,961 times
Well, we've said a thousand times since moving here that if it were just the two us of (without the two little people and one great big beast) that we'd live in SLU (or nearby) in some funky loft or apartment and since we pay way more than that for our family home in the 'burbs, it sounds good to me!

Are you looking in SLU because you're moving for Amazon? Because being within walking distance would be priceless to me. But, Amazon pays for transit, so moving further out wouldn't necessarily have an financial impact (something people often underestimate - those extraneous costs adding up). And there are so many excellent places to live nearby there.

(Hehehehe...can you here the jealousy at the thought of no commute, walkability, being int he middle of everything? We love our neighborhood and with kids and pets, it's a must for us and absolutely ideal but that doesn't mean we don't play "what if" on a regular basis!)

Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 10,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatania199 View Post
Well, we've said a thousand times since moving here that if it were just the two us of (without the two little people and one great big beast) that we'd live in SLU (or nearby) in some funky loft or apartment and since we pay way more than that for our family home in the 'burbs, it sounds good to me!

Are you looking in SLU because you're moving for Amazon? Because being within walking distance would be priceless to me. But, Amazon pays for transit, so moving further out wouldn't necessarily have an financial impact (something people often underestimate - those extraneous costs adding up). And there are so many excellent places to live nearby there.

(Hehehehe...can you here the jealousy at the thought of no commute, walkability, being int he middle of everything? We love our neighborhood and with kids and pets, it's a must for us and absolutely ideal but that doesn't mean we don't play "what if" on a regular basis!)
Yes, for Amazon. I agree with you; everything about being there is very tempting and I've read and heard talk about the whole area developing rapidly and becoming a great neighborhood. That being said, I'm very unsure about what's actually developing in the area and the rent.

I have a terrible feeling that when I get to Seattle, my coworkers will tell me they're paying $1000 living in some great neighborhood I haven't considered. I'm now thinking $1500 might be a good compromise.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
If you don't have huge car payments or huge college loans, then you should be able to afford the rent. The general rule is to limit your housing expenses to no more than 25-30% of your income.
Pluses: Nice new buildings tend to have good amenities, and being able to walk to work is a huge plus.
Minuses: The building's going to be full of Amazon people. Not that Amazon people aren't wonderful, but do you want to see them/hang out with them day and night, 24/7?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM

326 posts, read 949,644 times
Is it possible to find short term housing or a month to month situation so you can settle in and look around in person for what you want?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
SLU, Cap Hill, Belltown, Queen Anne - the rental market is really feeling the effects of Amazon's hand-over-fist hiring. Rents are rising rapidly and anything with decent amenities is going to co$t. No - your co-workers are not living in a great neighborhood in a killer apt for $1000. And if they are - it's costing them in terms of commuting time. There are certainly nice neighborhoods further out with more reasonable rent, but is that you want? If so then broaden your search. However if you want proximity, walkability and amenities - well... join the club.

Also - if you are relocating here to work for one of several major tech companies, they often do offer a month of temp housing as part of the relo package. It really is a good idea to take them up on it even if it seems like a pain to get semi-settled and then have to move again.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,186 times
$1500+ for rent is absolutely ridiculous! There are some really nice neighborhoods about 1-3 miles where you should be able to find nice apts for around $800-900. I'd check Wallingford/Fremont area: A commute from that area would still be really easy.

Yes, SLU is becoming the 'new'/trendy/upscale place to live, so it makes sense the rents would be inflate. But $1500+ for a 1-bdr apt is ridiculous!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Yes, SLU is becoming the 'new'/trendy/upscale place to live, so it makes sense the rents would be inflate. But $1500+ for a 1-bdr apt is ridiculous!
People pay it cause they dont know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area