Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 PM

24 posts, read 41,528 times

Advertisements

My x wife moved her and the children out to Washington State last year, and I have given up fighting and have decided to move out there.
I just signed on an apartment close to my kids, but I'm starting to get scared. Renting the place is costing a lot--$900 with trash pet rent and insurance, and have about $6500 savings.
I know I'm going to have to hit the ground running, but I couldn't wait any longer and have been missing them sorely.
I'm worried about finding a job, though I'm willing to take a pay cut or work a more menial job.
Right now I'm an accounting tech for University of CO and have twelve years experience in the financial field.
Do you guys think I'll be okay? I'm thinking I need to find a job at the end of July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 AM

260 posts, read 768,742 times
I think you are a great father to make that sacrifice for your kids. Happy Father's Day.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
I think you are a great father to make that sacrifice for your kids. Happy Father's Day.
Agreed, and I sincerely hope you find a job in quickly.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Default Re

Thank you both. I feel very confident during the day and scared at night. But there is no turning back now. I'm an accomplished guitar player and singer as well and am thinking I want to play some songs at the Cafe Racer where the tragedy occurred. Maybe some healing can come from my energy there.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 29,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
That's awesome man, I could not agree more with the quoted post! You should be able to find a job without a problem and my opinion makes any difference to you I think that you are doing the right thing. I think that no matter where you move being by your kids will make it worth it to you.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Thank you

That means a lot, becuse I'm scared right now. I just wrote a long post called Colorado is burning, and described myself part of the smoke that's leaving. I survived the 4 mi canyon fire and can see this happening over and over. We just broke the largest CO wildfire record again, and the last record was in 2010!
Now I'm experiencing what I suspected would happen. In Boulder, when you first come (for me 2000) you are deluged by new friends. And then you spend the rest of the time kind of moping, with a few of youre very lucky. This can be true for the most attractive people here. So now that I am leaving in 2 weeks, people are so interested in knowing me. It really is a strange place.
Weatherwise, I think this will be a great change. Today and yesterday we are right on the cusp of one hundred degrees. It can be very uncomfortable.
Luckily I was smart enough to take a November Seattle trip. I really got a feel for the rain, and it isn't that bad. I did notice some people have gills though--

Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 13,543 times
Former long time Boulderite here. In New Orleans for medical school currently. Have thought about Washington state for years (LOVE Orcas Island).

Out of curiosity - what's your lodge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonInBoulder View Post
That means a lot, becuse I'm scared right now. I just wrote a long post called Colorado is burning, and described myself part of the smoke that's leaving. I survived the 4 mi canyon fire and can see this happening over and over. We just broke the largest CO wildfire record again, and the last record was in 2010!
Now I'm experiencing what I suspected would happen. In Boulder, when you first come (for me 2000) you are deluged by new friends. And then you spend the rest of the time kind of moping, with a few of youre very lucky. This can be true for the most attractive people here. So now that I am leaving in 2 weeks, people are so interested in knowing me. It really is a strange place.
Weatherwise, I think this will be a great change. Today and yesterday we are right on the cusp of one hundred degrees. It can be very uncomfortable.
Luckily I was smart enough to take a November Seattle trip. I really got a feel for the rain, and it isn't that bad. I did notice some people have gills though--

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Default I'm here and I'm kind of sick of it....

For my arrival in the area, it felt cold compared to Denver this past summer. I liked the drive and Idaho was my favorite place of all to go through. Lake Couer D'Alene was great. And it was chilly there, which felt good after thinking I was going to die from the heat in Wyoming and Montana. Caspar WY is a really beautiful town....who knew! I seem to have brought the fires because the eastern part of washington started burning shortly after I arrived. There are even fires near Seattle. There seems to be a weather phenom happening because it has not rained at all since I got here. This will be 3 mos for me. It is now deep into Oct.

I had a rough time finding a job and am working as a loan processor for decent money. It took over a month to find it. The trouble is that it is temp, and maybe to hire. It is supposed to end in Feb '13. I had one interview at UW, but before I was notified that I didn't have the job, I decided I didn't want to work there. The parking situation and the union atmosphere put a bad taste in my mouth. The people were nice. I think they are mostly nice around here. And though the traffic is bad, the drivers are really mellow and it can actually be pleasant; although going to an interview in Bellevue I thought I was going to be late and that was distressing.

Seeing my kids less and less now after I arrived. Just on Sundays in the last month. We did take a weekend trip to Winthrope, which was hot and muggy. Lake Diablo was amazing. Next time I will camp there. I didn't know that it would be so warm at night. In the town, you could sleep outside on a blanket.

I really miss the place I just came from now. Suddenly I feel stricken by Niwot's curse. When the assignment ends I might go back. Someone posted that you can drive south to LA and then go northeast from there to reach Denver; you know, to avoid the winter driving in Idaho, MT and WY. I might do that. This is a really great place and I have a reason to be here, but for some reason it feels less free, more congested. I was able to hold onto the money I needed to get to Seattle, so it seems like a free option.

Commenting on the Seattle freeze, it does seem like a viable element to living here. To me it's not about the people, although it does come manifested that way at times. There are some mean people here, just like everywhere. But you really can feel alone here, like the northern atmosphere does something to you. Some of the weird things I found out about are the Suicide bridge--99 from Shoreline, and that Bundy and the GR killer both operated here. A local woman told me that when the men here go nuts, they really go nuts. Seems like everywhere though.

Silly, but I was thinking that maybe there would be some cataclysm in 2012, Dec to be specific, and it was bothering me to be so far from my kids at such a time. When it is over, I'm thinking my perspective will be different. I've learned a lot at this job I'm doing, and I'm seriously thinking I might find similar work in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: