Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,299,786 times

Advertisements

Good for Seattle to follow SF and LA. For those that "reuse" those bags are still eventually thrown away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM

37 posts, read 83,420 times
ONly 13% recycle plastic bags, MOST of them end up in landfields, most ppl are not reusing them, just b/c few ppl here say they use it, it does not mean most do. I grew up in Europe and those bags were charge always, it was not until I moved to US that I saw ppl getting those for free. Bad idea, make you think it is OK to waste. And BTW lost of ppl do not remember to bring canvas bags, let alone plastic bags to recycle in store. People are busy. ONly super green people do that.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,827,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2012 View Post
ONly 13% recycle plastic bags, MOST of them end up in landfields, most ppl are not reusing them, just b/c few ppl here say they use it, it does not mean most do. I grew up in Europe and those bags were charge always, it was not until I moved to US that I saw ppl getting those for free. Bad idea, make you think it is OK to waste. And BTW lost of ppl do not remember to bring canvas bags, let alone plastic bags to recycle in store. People are busy. ONly super green people do that.
I just looked up that "13%" reference... because I had a hard time believing only 13% of the Seattle population are recycling plastic bags.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/us...for-paper.html

What this links actually says is that 13% of the 292 million plastic bags distributed in the city are recycled. Which is still what... almost 40 million bags? (Someone can check my math, admittedly I suck at it.) In Seattle alone, almost 40 million bags are being recycled... Sounds good to me, given that we don't really have that many environmentally-friendly options as what to do with these bags-- it tells me that Seattleites are trying. It doesn't say anything about what's happening with the rest of the bags, whether it's just being tossed out, littered, reused or whatever.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,549,935 times
In other news 254 million bags become TRASH every year in the city of Seattle.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,451,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Nobody recycles plastic bags? Really? Every time I go to Fred Meyer's, Safeway, they have a bin which people can recycle plastic bags and I see people putting the effort for that.

Granted, more people could be doing it. Perhaps it'll force some to rethink their choices. But if they choose not care about it and pay the 5 cents... oh well. That money is going somewhere and the Seattle gov't will gladly take it.

It takes effect July 1, 2012: Seattle Public Utilities -- Plastic Bag Ban
Given the huge patch of plastic in the central Pacific, I think there's a real doubt that those bins at the stores lead to real recycling. Some do, but it could be that there just isn't a big enough manufacturing demand for that kind of plastic. At any rate: Reduce, Recycle, Reuse. I think the Reduce thing is the safest. Drive down the market for manufacture of the bags and the other phases can be eliminated.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,827,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Given the huge patch of plastic in the central Pacific, I think there's a real doubt that those bins at the stores lead to real recycling. Some do, but it could be that there just isn't a big enough manufacturing demand for that kind of plastic. At any rate: Reduce, Recycle, Reuse. I think the Reduce thing is the safest. Drive down the market for manufacture of the bags and the other phases can be eliminated.
The issue wasn't really whether its "real recycling" or the fact that there's not really many environmentally friendly options with these plastic bags (which I've acknowledged in a later post and am sure others know)... We all know the issues with plastic bags and all. I wasn't addressing whether its right/wrong to ban the bags or to charge people 5 cents and all those kind of "moral" implications. As it is, it doesn't affect me because I live out of Seattle Proper-- yet I do recycle/reuse.

What I was addressing: The OP is making a claim that "no one is recycling plastic bags" and that no one is re-using these bags which is unsubstantiated.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,490,785 times
Kind of ironic the Green movement had a hand in bringing plastic bags to grocery stores first place...

My high school had a Save A Tree project where each student pledged to educate family about switching to plastic to save trees... we even met with the local Safeway store manager and asked him to consider giving customers the option of paper or plastic.

As for the European way of life... having lived and worked in Europe... I would not say it is superior... only different.

Never ran into pay toilets till I lived in Europe... using the logic of this thread... we should all have to pay to use the toilet to prevent people from going too much...

Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 AM

297 posts, read 1,033,278 times
I totally support the plastic bag ban. It's long overdue.

My wife and I haven't used plastic bags for quite some time. We have several canvas bags in the trunk of our car.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 AM

260 posts, read 766,640 times
Default Vegetable Bags

At one point, I had three large dogs and i walked them everyday, so I was wondering how green it was to buy bags (which were never big enough) just for the purpose of my walks.

However, I am on board now with banning the bags because I just use vegetable section bags. They have no holes like the used white ones, they store easily, and they are big enough.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,330,032 times
I just read an article which describes the real reason why plastic bags are being banned.

Big corporations that deal with trash have to clear out the plastic bags from the machines that crush and process it prior to going to the landfill. Apparently it gums up the machines real good after a while. http://www.portlandtribune.com/opini...70941806884800

Also see this: http://www.noozhawk.com/local_news/a..._plastic_bags/

And this: http://www.businessinsider.com/paper...ronment-2012-6

Once I read that article, it made me 100% opposed to this push. If you follow the money, Waste Management corp. and Weyerhauser are behind this push. Let's see, a corporation that deals with waste management trying to reduce its costs in less machines needing to be serviced while increasing business for paper mills and corporations. Big corporations win!

Not only that, but paper bag consumption will rise manyfold if San Francisco's model is followed. Paper bags contain a lot more chemicals and nasty things. Little do people know that today's plastic bags are biodegradable.

Biodegradable? But don't they last 1000000 years? Hogwash. A high school student proved some years ago that that was baloney by going to the landfill and showing that bacterium and other critters learned howt o break down the plastic. And today's bags are more environmentally friendly and easier to break down by using less petrochemicals.

Then again, the Greens will always love something that sounds environmentally friendly and don't bother scratching beneath the surface like a 2nd grader does normally for their writing essays. Doesn't matter to them if the cure is worse than the disease, IT'S GREEN!

Idiots. I challenge anyone here who supports a plastic bag ban to dispute any of these facts. Should be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area