Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM

18 posts, read 42,881 times

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas now and I'm ready for something new. I am seriously considering Seattle. I know it is a higher cost of living, but I'm prepared for that. I know it is overcast and rains a lot, and I believe I'm prepared for that. I do love rain, and I miss it.

What I am tired of in Las Vegas are the extremes of temperature combined with the wind. It is so freakin' windy here. Too cold for me in the winter and too hot for me in the summer. I don't mind cold especially if without the wind. I'm not fond of freezing though.

What is the wind situation like in Seattle? I would especially love to hear from those who've live in Las Vegas or other desert locales.

Another silly question...I read that the rain is really mostly a mist or drizzle most of the time. How do people, women, deal with that for their hair? LOL In the dry air of the desert Southwest, it's mostly always a good hair day. Will I have to resign myself to limp hair or always having it in a ponytail? Of course, I'll take that over this wind anyday!

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,537,862 times
It can be windy (as it can anywhere) but it's not really a big enough issue to plan for regularly.

You do see women in some pretty cute hats here in the winter!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
I've lived in LV for almost 5 years. I actually do miss it, but yea, I won't be moving back there again.

The Wind Situation:
Yes, LV is very windy, no question about that. During the hot time, it's like having a blow-dryer in your face. During winter, it makes it colder than one would expect, temperature-wise.

Seattle isn't as windy. Its more "breezy" than windy. One thing I always notice: when it's warm/summer, it's not as breezy. I don't like it when we are having a heat wave-- nary a breeze and the air is ridiculously stagnant. When it's winter and you got the humidity-- oy vey... the cold can be cutting. In that sense it's worse than LV. We do occasionally get winter storms... and that's where the winds will push everything around (trees, power lines, et. c).

The Hair situation:
Hard to speak, given everyone's different. My hair was no better in LV than in Seattle. My sister's hair generally is flat here, but when she visits LV, it gets staticky and frayed. However, your hair will thank you because Seattle doesn't have the cloudy hard water that LV has. Your hair will probably be in a pony-tail anyways-- we don't really "dress up" like that, LOL.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 PM

18 posts, read 42,881 times
Thanks to you both. It's funny. I've had many people tell me when they visit San Francisco that they can never get warm. However, when I visited San Francisco, it always felt more comfortable to me than Las Vegas. On one trip, in a February, the temperature was actually slightly lower than Las Vegas was at the time but it felt more comfortable to me than it did in Las Vegas, maybe because it wasn't so windy.

How would you say it feels, temperature-wise, compared to San Francisco, if you've been there or spent any time there?

Texastrigirl - where in Texas are you from? I'm from Texas. Lived in Dallas last. I love hats! I haven't worn them in a long time.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Seattle is definitely colder than SF. How could it not be? Not to mention, the dampness makes it feel colder as well. SF, even with all of its microclimates, is never as damp as Seattle.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fififauxfun View Post
I live in Las Vegas now and I'm ready for something new. I am seriously considering Seattle. I know it is a higher cost of living, but I'm prepared for that. I know it is overcast and rains a lot, and I believe I'm prepared for that. I do love rain, and I miss it.

What I am tired of in Las Vegas are the extremes of temperature combined with the wind. It is so freakin' windy here. Too cold for me in the winter and too hot for me in the summer. I don't mind cold especially if without the wind. I'm not fond of freezing though.

What is the wind situation like in Seattle? I would especially love to hear from those who've live in Las Vegas or other desert locales.

Another silly question...I read that the rain is really mostly a mist or drizzle most of the time. How do people, women, deal with that for their hair? LOL In the dry air of the desert Southwest, it's mostly always a good hair day. Will I have to resign myself to limp hair or always having it in a ponytail? Of course, I'll take that over this wind anyday!

Thanks everyone.
Yes, the wind can be very bad for you hair, specially if it's not glued down. That's when it's really a bad hair day.
As for rain: When it rains it pours, no pucky misty stuff. It's been pouring all day and is pouring right now as I type this. We might see some sun at the end of July or August, -then winter begins and the freezing wind and rainstorms begin. Hang on to you wigs.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,374 times
Seattle is one of the least windy major cities in the US. I moved from Houston, and it was pretty windy there too!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I walked my usual mile from work to the bus during the worst of the rain this afternoon with only a light windbreaker with hood, and was not very wet. We rarely get the kind of hard rain we used to get in the SF Bay Area, and other than 1-2 tree-breaking windstorms a year in late fall we normally have only nice light breezes. I was in Vegas in April and found it hard to stand up in that wind, though it was still 80 in the evening. Even our worst storms the damage comes from a few bad gusts, not steady winds like that.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,785,649 times
We have bridges that float on the water. Hard to do that with frequent high winds. Coming from the plains, I can say this place never seems windy to me and it's not a factor I think of when I get ready in the morning. What people here consider wind, I barely consider to be a stiff breeze. A couple times a year we'll get something I consider to be wind and some trees will fall over and there'll be branches in the street and that's about it.

Now if you like big hair, you may be in for alot of work. It's usually too damp for anything too un-natural.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
My wife gave up trying to have consistent "nice hair" days long ago after moving here. The damp just doesn't cooperate. She can do it by going to a salon if there's some event we're going to that requires good hair days, but typically she just brushes it and lets it go now.

Could also be marriage. I think she's beautiful either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: