Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 15,663 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm likely putting myself in a position to be verbally attacked but I could really use some advice. I have lived in Omaha, NE my entire life (38 yrs.) and cannot take it anymore. The winters are awful, it's excessively conservative, not nearly as diverse as I'd like, and really just overall a boring place to live. I am a single mother and 7th grade English teacher and have two teenage daughters (who feel pretty much the same about the area as do I.) My younger daughter, who tends to be on the artsy/quirky side, is essentially miserable here and has found it very difficult to fit in and find friends who accept her (mostly due to parents who seem to think that having piercings makes her a poor influence--never mind that she's exceptionally bright, creative, and compassionate.) I need to get out of here--asap--but am in a quandary as to where I should look. We've visited Seattle and never felt more at home among the people. In other words, we LOVED it there. However, I understand the field for teachers is pretty dire and the likelihood of me finding employment as such is slim. As a single mom, I'm not in the financial position to take on too much risk (which likely makes it seem crazy that I would be looking to move to one of the most expensive areas in the U.S.) I just really need to find a place in which my girls and I can find some happiness, plenty of things to do, and the diversity we are so craving. I'm looking at Seattle, Portland, a few cities in California, and just recently starting considering Charlottesville, VA as well. Any and all advice is welcome...even that which might seem harsh...I can handle it. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I think you would be happy in either Seattle or Portland, but the cost of living in Portland is significantly less. Like most places the schools are suffering from budget cuts, though, and layoffs are more common than new hires at schools. I have no details about Portland, but Seattle is closing several. The better Seattle area districts are doing better but the teachers cannot afford to live close to work, since the best schools drive up property values and rents.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
My husband's from the Big O and loves it in Seattle. But the cost of living in Omaha can't be beat and Seattle can't be done well on a teacher's salary. Portland would be cheaper. You could also check out its suburb: Vancouver, WA. Consider Olympia too.

And if all else fails, there's always Kansas City...

Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM

56 posts, read 143,079 times
I think you'd like it out here or in Portland. As an artsy type myself, living in the Midwest was hell and I didn't fit in socially at all, and a lot of people thought I was anti-social, schizophrenic, communist, and unable to speak English (my family is Asian, living in a place with very little diversity, and it's just that I am a shy, introverted person, which apparently means I must be mentally ill /eyeroll/)

It's already been mentioned that the cost of living out here is MUCH higher, and you may have trouble finding work. 38 years is a long time to live in a place you hate, so I hope you can find a teaching position elsewhere soon.

Portland and Vancouver, WA are nice, and more affordable. You might want to also branch out and look into other cities in Western WA.
Good luck!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 AM

156 posts, read 303,417 times
Definitely look at Olympia, WA! Check out school districts (for teaching) in all the outlying areas...you may have a 15 minute commute but traffic isn't bad here.

Look into Tenino, Rochester, Chelahis, Centralia, and North Thurston, Olympia, and Tumwater School Districts for teaching jobs.

My son has been in the Olympia School District since 2nd grade...graduating from Olympia High School next year. I really love the Oly schools. Cost of living in Oly can seem a little high depending on where you're coming from but there is plenty affordable housing.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,532 times
Check Bellingham! Nice size city, very open, easy access to Seattle and Vancouver, affordable outside of town, and gorgeous.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
JillyMac,

++++++

I agree with others that you should considering expanding your options. Depending on your options, there are some nice-mid size cities in the PS area. I'd suggest you avoid Eastern WA: It's probably very similar to Omaha (though Spokane might be OK).

Good luck. Unfortunately an English degree might not do all that much for you, but good luck.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
how about a job in a corporate setting? I know a couple of teachers who became financial planners and are very happy. They live in NYC, though. I don't know if there is a market for that in Seattle. But there probably are lots of other potential positions for you in business management or similar? Of course, you may be one of those people who love their profession and would never want to consider doing anything else.

I personally changed careers before, and did it once after moving to a new place. And I'd do it again if I had to.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 07-03-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 15,663 times
Thank you for all the advice! I do very much love teaching and would love to continue in that profession, however quality of life in general is more important to me than anything else. My daughters and I all feel very socially disconnected here in Omaha, and I'm thinking it's at least worth a try giving another city a shot. I've never lived anywhere else, am recently divorced (restarting life so to say) and am ready to expand my horizons a bit. Therefore, even though teaching is my heart, I'm completely willing to work anywhere I can get a job that will pay the bills (at least until I can find something in my field again). I'm a vegan and nutrition/fitness junkie currently working on my NASM certification, so anything in the fitness industry would be a good fit. I'm also looking at positions as an educational consultant for textbook companies and the like. Ideally, I'd like to be able to sell my car and make do with public transit, so being located somewhere with convenient access would be ideal. Hope this helps give a little more insight on my situation. Keep the tips coming...anything and everything helps!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillymac View Post
Hi all! I'm likely putting myself in a position to be verbally attacked but I could really use some advice. I have lived in Omaha, NE my entire life (38 yrs.) and cannot take it anymore. The winters are awful, it's excessively conservative, not nearly as diverse as I'd like, and really just overall a boring place to live. I am a single mother and 7th grade English teacher and have two teenage daughters (who feel pretty much the same about the area as do I.) My younger daughter, who tends to be on the artsy/quirky side, is essentially miserable here and has found it very difficult to fit in and find friends who accept her (mostly due to parents who seem to think that having piercings makes her a poor influence--never mind that she's exceptionally bright, creative, and compassionate.) I need to get out of here--asap--but am in a quandary as to where I should look. We've visited Seattle and never felt more at home among the people. In other words, we LOVED it there. However, I understand the field for teachers is pretty dire and the likelihood of me finding employment as such is slim. As a single mom, I'm not in the financial position to take on too much risk (which likely makes it seem crazy that I would be looking to move to one of the most expensive areas in the U.S.) I just really need to find a place in which my girls and I can find some happiness, plenty of things to do, and the diversity we are so craving. I'm looking at Seattle, Portland, a few cities in California, and just recently starting considering Charlottesville, VA as well. Any and all advice is welcome...even that which might seem harsh...I can handle it. Thanks all!
I have lived in many of the places you listed, so I can say from experience that, in my opinion, your list is off to a great start. You're right about the job market in Seattle. I think Charlottesville might possibly not fit exactly what you're looking for (just my opinion, so take it for what it is), but VA closer to DC might. Have you considered the DC area or the DC suburbs?

P.S. Just read your post directly above this one. After reading your second post, I surely recommend DC.

P.S.S. For what it's worth, since this post is in the Seattle forum, you may want to have it moved to the City-vs-City forum. You may get more of the types of responses you're looking for there. I just happened to see this thread since I try to visit the forums of cities I've lived in to see if I can offer any helpful advice (to pay it forward to those that helped me when I needed it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area