Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post

Not to say that there aren't some covert racists, limousine liberals, and hipsters who like anyone who isn't black *cough* Capitol Hill *cough*. But outside the millennial regressive left scenes, I felt like it was pretty open in the racial aspect. Definitely much more racially liberal than where I'm from, Washington DC...and the East Coast in general.
I don't like Capitol Hill myself, but how do you think there is covert racism towards blacks on Capitol Hill? I never got that impression, having lived there for a year and frequenting the many clubs and bars on the weekends. I feel like what you're saying applies more to the white liberals in North Seattle neighborhoods like Greenlake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 07:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg187 View Post
So, I've been dancing in and out of this thread for the last few days reluctant to respond. To be frank, I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. See, I'm a "professional" black dude in his early 30's, from Chicago but currently live in Seattle. A lucrative job offer brought me here. My hometown's bad union deals compounded with the well documented social ills made the decision easy. Financially, its worked out great. But you simply don't move to Seattle (or any place for that matter) looking for love. Personal success should be first and everything else should fall in line.

With that being said, there are some social quirks. See my 'Insights in Seattle' thread for more detail. If you have a preference for white women, it should easily work out for you. Plenty of biracial people (Black dad/White mom), (White dad/Asian mom) so there's proof of that. I'm personally an equal opportunity dater. If I find you attractive and we make each other laugh, that's usually all it takes. Naturally, I've always been more attracted to black American women. There's not a lot of them here but the ones I do find are on average very attractive. Props Seattle! Lots of Ethiopians (beautiful women btw) but we're too culturally dissimilar for me to try.

But to reiterate, dating should not be your primary concern. You won't have a problem if your finances are intact and the usual ingredients (personality and swagger).

Black white dating only works in Seattle if the white woman is very low class. You almost never see Hugh class white women with black men in Seattle. But that's not unique to Seattle. The only place I've seen where you're likely to see higher class white women with black men is DC. Otherwise white women at a certain class level aren't going to be interested in black men

Old 10-16-2016, 09:38 AM

230 posts, read 258,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
My experience as a black man in Seattle was somewhat different. Granted, I was just visiting for a three day weekend, nonetheless, it was overall enjoyable and welcoming when it came to black men wanting to date outside their race.

I actually met a white girl while in Seattle at a cafe and we had chemistry almost immediately. We're still in contact and talk somewhat often. I also met an Asian girl from Vancouver who I'm planning to visit within a month. As for other interracial couples featuring black men, the majority of black men who I saw were with non-black women and vice-versa. Granted one of the things that may have made it easier for me was the vibe that I give off is one of being "whitewashed". And TBH, blacks who are considered "whitewashed" might fit in better in places like the Pacific NW than most other blacks.

Not to say that there aren't some covert racists, limousine liberals, and hipsters who like anyone who isn't black *cough* Capitol Hill *cough*. But outside the millennial regressive left scenes, I felt like it was pretty open in the racial aspect. Definitely much more racially liberal than where I'm from, Washington DC...and the East Coast in general.

But given my demeanor and "swag"...or lack thereof, YMMV. But overall, I would assume than Vancouver beats Seattle in the IR department for black men due to the obvious reasons, lol.
you speak of vancouver Washington or Vancouver BC?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:05 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
you speak of vancouver Washington or Vancouver BC?
Likely BC as it's a bigger more world class city than the Wa one. Also, it has the highest population of Americans outside of America.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Likely BC as it's a bigger more world class city than the Wa one. Also, it has the highest population of Americans outside of America.
you don't say...I'm not venturing to Washington. Done with that option. BTW if white washed is what is needed, I could get that done. But men and women being together should be the easiest thing in life... Its amazing how men buff up have to make the most money JUST to have a conversation. All this S**t is about is sex and relationships. The process is blown way out of proportion. Ah well I'm a regular dude, that is about his business. If it takes so much to get them imagine what it takes to keep them. I'm GOOD

Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
you don't say...I'm not venturing to Washington. Done with that option. BTW if white washed is what is needed, I could get that done. But men and women being together should be the easiest thing in life... Its amazing how men buff up have to make the most money JUST to have a conversation. All this S**t is about is sex and relationships. The process is blown way out of proportion. Ah well I'm a regular dude, that is about his business. If it takes so much to get them imagine what it takes to keep them. I'm GOOD

I don't like the term white washed. What does that even mean. I'm a black guy who speaks pretty proper and I'm not up on most of the slang. But that has to do with my reading habits as a kid more so than me being white waahed.

I do think there are some black people who do try to act a certain way just to be accepted in certain circles. And it's pretty obvious when they're not really that way. My girlfriends best friend recently got married to a white guy. Born in the hood of South Philly and acts out all the time like she's the whitest Valley girl on the planet. Kind of annoying but I keep thinking my mouth shut.

There is a balance between white washed and ghetto.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Anyway it looks like you made the decision not to come to Seattle. It really isn't my intention to chase anyone away from the city. There are plenty of good things about the city. But I do think that many people who aren't black men especially professional black men really don't know some of the issues a black guy is likely to encounter.

Personally speaking it will take you awhile to establish a city you like. Most people rarely male a single move and are happy right away. And some places appeal is more aparent once you leave them. For me I had to go to Seattle, DC, NY, and Normal before I found Philly. Philly works well for me as I get to visit my mother in Atlanta easier the rest of my family in the Midwest easier as well. It also allows me to travel regularly to NYC and DC for a weekend or a day.

Just keep an open mind. Everyone has different experiences in Seattle. There are some black pe9pl3 who love it there. But from my personal experiences it just wasn't the right city for me.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I don't like the term white washed. What does that even mean. I'm a black guy who speaks pretty proper and I'm not up on most of the slang. But that has to do with my reading habits as a kid more so than me being white waahed.

I do think there are some black people who do try to act a certain way just to be accepted in certain circles. And it's pretty obvious when they're not really that way. My girlfriends best friend recently got married to a white guy. Born in the hood of South Philly and acts out all the time like she's the whitest Valley girl on the planet. Kind of annoying but I keep thinking my mouth shut.

There is a balance between white washed and ghetto.
SO TRUE... SO TRUE. I got that from another response. I rarely use that word if ever.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:23 AM

Anyway, I'll just leave you with this final word, and I'll leave you alone. Don't let the "dating" be the reason why you move to a certain city. The dating will take care of itself. When people ask "what is the best city for dating for a single black male" I'll say "none" and "all of them". The thing is, it doesn't matter where you move to, because while dating is important, it's not the only part of your life. The first priority should always be to get established well first, and trust me the dating prospects will come to you. When I lived in Seattle, it was a wake up call for me, and how much my overall game needed to improve. See in Atlanta, I could get women based soley on the fact that I'm a black male with a decent career. But in Seattle that advantage pretty much disappeared because women in Seattle aren't seeking out black men like they are in Atlanta. But it also made me realize how much better my career could be than where it was. Seattle put me next to some very strong people in my field, and that made me really want to step up my game. It also gave the the confidence to take a pay cut (yeah you read it right) and move to California.

In California I almost never focused on dating. It wa all about getting my career in order, getting my skill level where it needed to be, and trying to establish myself professionally. And I did very good in California, but I decided to leave for Philly because I missed living in cities, and I missed a more "down to earth" city. When I met my girl I wasn't even really trying to date anyone. I was plain and simple, at the tip top of my game at that time. I was taking on difficult problems at my job, and I was pulling in money. I was so focused that I barely even thought about my girl when I met her.

So in short, it doesn't matter where you move. The women will come for you. If you find it hard to date, it's probably an issue with you not them. I spent years blaming women for my women problems, but my mindset was all wrong. Seattle is secondary to your mindset. As much as I didn't like Seattle, I would move back there no issues. Because I know I have the right mindset to make thing work out for me no matter where I go. So as a black man, it's best to remember that. IF you're a doer, you can be a doer in any city you go to. Don't let the women there distract you too much.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Anyway, I'll just leave you with this final word, and I'll leave you alone. Don't let the "dating" be the reason why you move to a certain city. The dating will take care of itself. When people ask "what is the best city for dating for a single black male" I'll say "none" and "all of them". The thing is, it doesn't matter where you move to, because while dating is important, it's not the only part of your life. The first priority should always be to get established well first, and trust me the dating prospects will come to you. When I lived in Seattle, it was a wake up call for me, and how much my overall game needed to improve. See in Atlanta, I could get women based soley on the fact that I'm a black male with a decent career. But in Seattle that advantage pretty much disappeared because women in Seattle aren't seeking out black men like they are in Atlanta. But it also made me realize how much better my career could be than where it was. Seattle put me next to some very strong people in my field, and that made me really want to step up my game. It also gave the the confidence to take a pay cut (yeah you read it right) and move to California.

In California I almost never focused on dating. It wa all about getting my career in order, getting my skill level where it needed to be, and trying to establish myself professionally. And I did very good in California, but I decided to leave for Philly because I missed living in cities, and I missed a more "down to earth" city. When I met my girl I wasn't even really trying to date anyone. I was plain and simple, at the tip top of my game at that time. I was taking on difficult problems at my job, and I was pulling in money. I was so focused that I barely even thought about my girl when I met her.

So in short, it doesn't matter where you move. The women will come for you. If you find it hard to date, it's probably an issue with you not them. I spent years blaming women for my women problems, but my mindset was all wrong. Seattle is secondary to your mindset. As much as I didn't like Seattle, I would move back there no issues. Because I know I have the right mindset to make thing work out for me no matter where I go. So as a black man, it's best to remember that. IF you're a doer, you can be a doer in any city you go to. Don't let the women there distract you too much.
TRUTH....Brother my career and money come first. I understand exactly what you mean. I always think rationally and I do have that mindset. You have enlightened me no doubt but yea, I know my position in this country and how to go about getting the "W". No matter how much you shake it, cream always rises to the top.

Trust me when I tell you I'm right there with you and I'm pushing, the women portion is a topic and yes they can sway you if your not focused, that doesn't apply to me, especially after going through what I went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area