Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM

142 posts, read 341,164 times

Advertisements

I am an art teacher, or at least I was. I think it might be nice to WORK with after school programs and community centers teaching art to kids and adults and painting murals if possible. Does Seattle have lots of community arts programs? Lots of at risk kids? What is the job scene like? Some one suggested to me in the forums some months back that i should try learning web design or computer software. I may look into that as well as 3d animation. I am also considering learning foreign languages so that i could teach English as a second language or be an interpreter if those jobs are available. Whatever field I choose I know it needs to be something that will enjoy and won't be too stressful. I am also a visual artist. Would I be able to sell work if i moved to Seattle? How is support for artists? Also are there any low cost housing programs for artists or less expensive housing options? I' d like to rent a single family 2 bedroom home with garage that I could use for a studio. I could also take a 1 bed with basement ( that i could convert into a bedroom) and a garage. A 1bed room house with a large garage could work too if the landlord was find with me turning part of the garage space into a bedroom, provided there was heat and air ducts. Or i'd like to rent a loft ( with studio and living space). So with this in mind I am open to any and all suggestions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1342192563
Attached Thumbnails
Artist seeking info on seattle jobs, art scene, housing etc.-quietude.jpg   Artist seeking info on seattle jobs, art scene, housing etc.-4.jpg   Artist seeking info on seattle jobs, art scene, housing etc.-5.jpg   Artist seeking info on seattle jobs, art scene, housing etc.-lovestone_harlan_reconstructiondeconstrution_2012-collage-acrylic-onsewncanvas-18inches-x  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 AM

I added some images of my visual art to give a sense of my style. I have always felt I'd be more successful with my art if I moved to the Seattle or Portland area which ever is best.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM

561 posts, read 1,176,310 times
Honestly, there are so many aspiring artists in both Portland and Seattle (esp the former) that everyone I know in that field has a 'day' job. This is true even with many fairly renowned local artists: I'm a public transit op and I know at least one other driver who's work has been displayed at local galleries, and well reviewed. He told me his art makes anywhere from $100-400/month (depending on how much sells); a nice supplemental income, but not nearly enough to live on.

I'm no expert by any means, but from what I know of, it's really tough to make a living working in art, not matter where you live.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Honestly, there are so many aspiring artists in both Portland and Seattle (esp the former) that everyone I know in that field has a 'day' job. This is true even with many fairly renowned local artists: I'm a public transit op and I know at least one other driver who's work has been displayed at local galleries, and well reviewed. He told me his art makes anywhere from $100-400/month (depending on how much sells); a nice supplemental income, but not nearly enough to live on.

I'm no expert by any means, but from what I know of, it's really tough to make a living working in art, not matter where you live.
Your absolutely right. Some places it's much harder to be an artist than others. Here in Sc the governor is trying to cut all the arts funding and there isn't much as there is. Plus I have not found a job since I have been here. Almost 3 years. I am beginning to think perhaps I should really just leave when I can and follow my heart and try the Seattle area. I'm sure I'll probably have to find a day job,unless I suddenly start earning a few grand a month for my paintings. I'm hoping my day job would be something related to art, helping others, or something educational. I wouldn't mind working for a nonprofit , perhaps a homeless shelter or counseling center or youth center in addition to the other jobs I mentioned. I just need to find something I really like where I know I will be in demand and I can earn a decent salary, it's tough these days. I thought when I became a teacher I'd be set as far as finding jobs, but that's not the case at all and probably won't be for another seven years if ever. I don't have that kind of time to wait. I'm not getting any younger.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,445,780 times
South Carolina is the pits. Run from there. If Seattle is where you think you should go, go.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 PM

561 posts, read 1,176,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
I thought when I became a teacher I'd be set as far as finding jobs, but that's not the case at all and probably won't be for another seven years if ever. I don't have that kind of time to wait. I'm not getting any younger.
Esp in your field. In the 'art' field there are only two options: 1) Teach, 2) Become an artist. And since so many people have liberal art-type degrees, it doesn't help all that much.

Good luck though, and I'm certain Seattle will be a better fit for you than SC.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Esp in your field. In the '<a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">art</a>' field there are only two options: 1) Teach, 2) Become an artist. And since so many people have liberal art-type degrees, it doesn't help all that much.

Good luck though, and I'm certain Seattle will be a better fit for you than SC.
Well the other options are graphic designer, computer animator, web designer or web master. I'm a bit to mellow to be a graphic designer I think. Computer animator or web designer might be more up my ball park. I need to expand my skill set a bit before I could come out there.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 PM

182 posts, read 322,258 times
I think it's great to follow your passion. Everyone should. But it looks like you need to work A LOT harder at it. If you're not working a 9-5, shouldn't you be creating, pushing, and selling your pieces 9-10 hours a day right now? SC may be a tough place to sell art, but I know they have internet in SC and airports that could fly you to other cities to show your art. C'mon man. The excuse meter is running a little high right now.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 AM

52 posts, read 134,697 times
Honestly, if you could live anywhere as an artist, I would recommend SF or NYC. More competition, but also a lot more support. Affordable housing is available in either place if you're not afraid of drug deals, drive bys, etc.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,788,732 times
I like the second one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area