Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM

343 posts, read 1,085,123 times

Advertisements

Seattle's last remaining 4th of July show in jeopardy | Top Stories | Seattle News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | KING5.com (http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_070909WAB_July-4th-show-jeopardy-JM.248a1236.html?ocp=1#slcgm_comments_anchor - broken link)

Quote:
Seattle’s last remaining fireworks show is in peril for next year, as the lone sponsor for the annual "Family 4th" fireworks show at Gas Works Park has pulled its support.

Chase Bank assumed responsibility for the sponsorship when it took over Washington Mutual earlier this year, but will not continue.

The move leaves event producer, One Reel, looking for a new sponsor, or perhaps a group of smaller sponsors.

"I can only hope someone out there will take to heart what the 4th of July is all about – celebrating our nation and our freedoms – and come through for Seattle to keep this tradition alive," said One Reel president Norman Langill. The cost for a single naming sponsorship is about $500,000.
This is not good. Not good at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
Sorry to read that. But not surprised, given that Chase is not a Seattle-headquartered company. I'm sure that a lot of charity and arts organizations will suffer as a result of the demise of WaMu also.

Hopefully they can get another sponsor(s) in the coming months.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM

28 posts, read 71,431 times
Chase is a national bank, they do not need to support local communities to gain customers. People choose them because they are convenient. There is nothing wrong for Chase to drop that problem. BOA does not spend much on local events(7/4 firework, or seafair parades), but they are still in business.

If to support local communities does help banks to gain business, I am expecting that Banner bank or some others seattle based companies will cover that cost.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Agreed, this isn't the end of the world. Things are changing, like it or not. While it is disappointing that the corporate jobs are being lost with this situation, it is more important that Chase invest in our community with its main business. Our economy is in a tremendous evolution right now, and compared to many areas of the country, Seattle is escaping relatively scott-free. The fireworks show will work itself out.

At the same time, I will add that Olympia should be doing everything possible right now to keep existing business here. And that includes Boeing. Making up tens of thousand manufacturing jobs will be extremely difficult. I would hope that citizens understand the importance of this, and make themselves known to our State representatives.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 PM

The Nordstrom Family Fourth?

The Starbucks Family Fourth?

The Pemco Family Fourth?

I could go on, but my point in all this is that there are plenty of local companies to step in and fill this "philanthropy" sector.

The two prime examples are Zoo Tunes, which, after Chase dropped sponsorship of, BECU and Carter Subaru stepped in to sponsor.

https://stcpromos.com/zootunes/images/hd_left.gif (broken link)

And the Seafair Torchlight Parade (which is two weeks from Saturday), where Alaska Airlines picked up the sponsorship after Southwest Airlines ended their 15 year partnership.

http://www.seafair.com/images/logos/events/torchparade_200.gif (broken link)

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-17-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
Actually Chase and BofA do spend a lot of money as good corporate citizens - but in New York and North Carolina. It's not just about gaining local customers. The money that HQs spread around is one reason why cities go after them so strongly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTofu View Post
Chase is a national bank, they do not need to support local communities to gain customers. People choose them because they are convenient. There is nothing wrong for Chase to drop that problem. BOA does not spend much on local events(7/4 firework, or seafair parades), but they are still in business.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 PM

I just remembered that even after Macy's took over the Bon Marche, they have kept sponsorship to this day of the Holiday Parade Downtown the day after Thanksgiving. So, (and I never thought I'd utter this after the Bon Marche went away), good job Macy's.

http://www.banquetevent.com/event/misc/bande/uploaded_images/westlake-center-tree-macys-star-781314.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-17-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area