Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times

Advertisements

As for politics, when I visited Seattle I saw more Ron Paul signs than ever before, and I even saw my first Romney bumper sticker. Not saying that makes the city some conservative haven; I know that it's true blue! But I was surprised, especially in the UW area, to see so much seemingly Libertarian support. I mean, the RP signs were out in force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
My wife has 3 Chanel classic flaps. If you know fashion, you know how much they cost.
And if you think spending $5K for the debatable quality of a Chanel bag, you are the type that thinks money buys class. This is exactly the reason the OP's post raised an eyebrow. Some places, such as Dallas, think wearing a designer brand implies a level of sophistication. They are often the type that live in a trailer while driving a $50K truck. And San Antonio?

It's a mistake to judge the wealth or sophistication of the locals in the Seattle metro because the ones that have it don't feel the need to prove it.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 AM

102 posts, read 274,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And if you think spending $5K for the debatable quality of a Chanel bag, you are the type that thinks money buys class. This is exactly the reason the OP's post raised an eyebrow. Some places, such as Dallas, think wearing a designer brand implies a level of sophistication. They are often the type that live in a trailer while driving a $50K truck. And San Antonio?

It's a mistake to judge the wealth or sophistication of the locals in the Seattle metro because the ones that have it don't feel the need to prove it.
This, exactly.

Only those who so desperately need to prove their wealth worry about the availability of designer goods openly and concern themselves with what others are wearing.

It has nothing to do with naivety or lack of appreciation for quality - some just don't feel any need to ensure you know what they're wearing, driving or carrying. It's understanding that those who truly have it seldom feel the need to broadcast it. Only those insecure about it need to make sure their badges of honor are readily available.

I live in Bellevue. I couldn't be oblivious to the wealth in this area if I tried. But I'm also smart enough to recognize that many of the wealthiest don't feel the need to broadcast it and the only people who judge based on the label on your bag are ensuring you notice the label on theirs.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Hey, I am with you. I think paying $5k for a $50 piece of leather is ridiculous. But alas try telling that to a woman.

And unfortunately, in many cases, money does buy class. Bellevue versus Tacoma.....um well lets see. Not a hard one to answer.

And what makes you think that people are trying to prove anything by buying something expensive? Hell, a lot of tree hugging earth thumpers pay hundreds of dollars more a month for so called "green" and "organic" foods.

Yeah, let me guess...you were one of the 99% on their Ipads and smartphones protesting against the so called 1% or as I like to call them, those that actually work.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatania199 View Post
This, exactly.

Only those who so desperately need to prove their wealth worry about the availability of designer goods openly and concern themselves with what others are wearing.

It has nothing to do with naivety or lack of appreciation for quality - some just don't feel any need to ensure you know what they're wearing, driving or carrying. It's understanding that those who truly have it seldom feel the need to broadcast it. Only those insecure about it need to make sure their badges of honor are readily available.

I live in Bellevue. I couldn't be oblivious to the wealth in this area if I tried. But I'm also smart enough to recognize that many of the wealthiest don't feel the need to broadcast it and the only people who judge based on the label on your bag are ensuring you notice the label on theirs.
yeah, well those that don't have money often seem to point out the luxury items that someone else carries. ....jealousy?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

102 posts, read 274,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
yeah, well those that don't have money often seem to point out the luxury items that someone else carries. ....jealousy?
I wouldn't know.

But the point is that availability of designer goods shouldn't be a factor in where one chooses to live. We didn't choose Bellevue after ensuring the Bravern had my favorite handbag designer. And we didn't rule out Renton because some one was carrying a knock off. That is not a measure of a desirable area to call home.

And on the flip side, assuming anything about a person based on the labels they wear (or don't) only makes the person doing the assuming look like an ass. It's a ridiculous and small-minded way to evaluate a person's worth and speaks only to the character of the one doing the judging, not the worth of the one being judged.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times
Someone told you that crime in Seattle was bad..compared to what? Small town midwest? Seattle's crime is not top 10, and probably not even top 20 or 30. Seattle has issues with homelessness and crime in the southern portion of the city...but you would be way better off than say, St. Louis or Kansas City MO, Memphis TN, Detroit, Philly, LA, Dallas/SA/Houston, etc.

Really? Crime is not a bad thing for Seattle...it has issues but nothing like most major cities, at least as violent crime goes.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Believe it or not, Seattle crime is not much different than San Antonio crime. Sort the list below by any of the categories by clicking in the header of any column. Seattle would be a "low crime" city, especially for violent crimes (most important to most people). San Antonio is also low, but not as low as Seattle.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2012, 03:58 PM

172 posts, read 442,065 times
Crime in Seattle? Who ever told you theres alot of crime in Seattle probably hasn't been around very much. Crime is nothing in Seattle compared to cities on the East Coast that are similuar in size and even smaller cities. I heard that the crime in New Orleans is higher than Seattle but Seattle has a higher population by 400,000 more.

Seattle is pretty liberial but there are conservative people as well.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch2 View Post
Crime in Seattle? Who ever told you theres alot of crime in Seattle probably hasn't been around very much. Crime is nothing in Seattle compared to cities on the East Coast that are similuar in size and even smaller cities. I heard that the crime in New Orleans is higher than Seattle but Seattle has a higher population by 400,000 more.

Seattle is pretty liberial but there are conservative people as well.
Seattle has more people than NO proper. When NO reports crimes, they are talking about the entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area