U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 AM

52 posts, read 86,876 times

Advertisements

I wrote a post asking about Seattle last year/months ago, but thought I should start a new thread instead...

I'm a single gay Black male 37-year-old who's looking to move away from Milwaukee, wanting something with a less dead-end Rust Belt economy/more cosmopolitan. Considering Seattle or Boston as my main choices, with Chicago as a backup choice (if things didn't work out in my new city). I once lived briefly in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon) about a decade ago, so familiar with the weather, etc.

I still have some questions about Seattle:

* It seems cheaper than Boston; what kind of place would I be able to find for $1200 a month? (That's the most I could afford to spend on an apartment based on research/my own savings or worst-case-scenario future job prospects.) I'd prefer not having roommates, as roommates in the past for me have been disastrous (or merely not working out well long-term).

* Unemployment seems higher than Boston's (but better than Milwaukee or Chicago). Would I have a difficult time finding employment there, however? I'd like a job that uses my nonfiction/professional writing skills (and/or clerical skills) in a field involving media (print or online), technology, or education/government. I know Seattle's strong for tech related areas, but I'm assuming it isn't as strong as Boston/etc. for education or media related jobs?

* I don't have a car, so I'd need to use public transit; would this harm my chances of success (in finding work, general survival, etc) there?

* Is Seattle as earthquake-prone (or projected to get a "big one" someday) like California?

* I moved from Portland since things there didn't work out for me ultimately; do you feel Seattle's different enough from Portland that I wouldn't feel like I'm "doing the same thing twice" in moving there?

Think that sums up my major concerns so far... thanks in advance for any answers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,698,164 times
To be honest, if things didn't work out in Portland, I don't know if you'd have more success in Seattle. The two areas are quite similar. Your job skills just don't jump out as being that different from the people already here looking for or holding those jobs.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 PM

21,421 posts, read 14,411,291 times
I would agree that if you didn't like Portland, you may not like Seattle since they are only three hours away; although Seattle is larger and more corporate. This is a very earthquake prone area as is most of the West Coast. If it's just yourself you might check out Seattle then check out Boston and decide which you like better.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM

52 posts, read 86,876 times
I did like Portland, but admit I wasn't as well prepared a decade ago versus now for relocating...

As for skills, I presume (from research) tech writers would be in some demand in Seattle, per its tech industry?

I visited both Seattle and Boston last year; Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 08-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: this is not the place to promote your site/blog/etc

Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM

43 posts, read 84,458 times
I'm moving to the Seattle area at the end of October -- from Boston (Cambridge specifically, though I did live in Fenway for a while). I love Boston, and I'm very much looking forward to Seattle.

I posted about my reasons for moving in another thread on this forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...le-boston.html

Hopefully it helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: