Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,347 times

Advertisements

Our family is excited about moving to Seattle (probably Mukilteo area near Harbour Pointe area for our kids' school as well as my job in Lynnwood) in the near future. I am wondering how difficult it would be for my wife to commute to Seattle Central Community College (located just south of Capitol Hill) from Mukilteo. What sort of options would she have (bus, train, etc.)? Since she is a novice driver, I would rather have her take public transportation.

She would like to complete a surg. tech program at the community college and then look for a job at a hospital (most likely in Seattle area simply b/c hospitals seem to be clustered there). Given this scenario, does it make sense for us to move to Mukilteo or would it be better for our family to find a place in Seattle, which would be near to my wife's school and future work...

For long term, it would be best for my wife to find work north of Seattle (Edmonds, Shoreline, Everett, etc.); however, it seems that there are more hospitals -- and therefore more jobs -- in Seattle than in the suburbs.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
You can take one of the commuter bus lines around here, walk to Mukilteo Speedway and either go to the Lynnwood transit center where you can transfer, OR you can take the 417 bus.

This is a helpful website:

Community Transit: Route 417 Schedule

Here's a trip planner

Community Transit : Trip Planner

Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM

260 posts, read 757,386 times
It might actually be more convenient to take public transportation because I-5 is perpetually congested it seems.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,115 times
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question about Mukilteo to Redmond via public transportation. Looking online, the commute seems to be 15 minutes by car but 2.5 hours via bus! Is this true??

Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question about Mukilteo to Redmond via public transportation. Looking online, the commute seems to be 15 minutes by car but 2.5 hours via bus! Is this true??
That depends on where in Redmond and where in Mukilteo. I can't imagine a situation where it would only take 15 minutes driving, but 2.5 hours by bus is probably correct. Public transit in Seattle (and in most cities, really) is not designed for suburb to suburb commutes, so you'll almost always have to go downtown first to transfer to another route.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
That depends on where in Redmond and where in Mukilteo. I can't imagine a situation where it would only take 15 minutes driving, but 2.5 hours by bus is probably correct. Public transit in Seattle (and in most cities, really) is not designed for suburb to suburb commutes, so you'll almost always have to go downtown first to transfer to another route.
Crazy, huh? Light rail would be a dream.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Crazy, huh? Light rail would be a dream.
Heavy rail, grade-separated rapid transit. It's the only solution that makes any sense for reducing travel times. But this almost never connects suburbs - it's just not economical. If everyone took public transit to work, places like Redmond and Mukilteo would be rural outposts in the woods.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Heavy rail, grade-separated rapid transit. It's the only solution that makes any sense for reducing travel times. But this almost never connects suburbs - it's just not economical. If everyone took public transit to work, places like Redmond and Mukilteo would be rural outposts in the woods.
I wonder if that's really true. You look at places like London and the tube allows commute access all around the region. I wonder if it would create tremendous regional growth if rapid transit were available. I love the Mukilteo/Edmonds area, it "feels" different around there - more connected to Puget Sound.

Last edited by Seacove; 01-03-2014 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I wonder if that's really true. You look at places like London and the tube allows commute access all around the region for commuting. I wonder if it would create tremendous regional growth if rapid transit were available. I love the Mukilteo/Edmonds area, it "feels" different around there - more connected to Puget Sound.
The UK has a very different transit funding structure than what we have in the US. Hell will freeze over before the US has a transit system that robust. The fuel taxes in the UK (totaling roughly USD $5 per US gallon on top of the cost of the fuel itself) are used to fund mass transit, which provides a level of funding completely unimaginable in the US.

But the real reason the Tube is effective is that it connects densely populated areas. If you take a look at Google Street View, you can see that dense housing extends far from central London (example). Transit only works when you're connecting areas like these, not areas with sprawling estates like most of metro Seattle. Even Seattle proper has very low density compared to greater London.

That's enough nerding out about transit - I don't want to hijack the thread. The point is that for suburb to suburb commutes, driving is almost always going to be the fastest and most convenient by far. The incentives for developing suburban transit corridors and encouraging people to use them just don't work in suburban America.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 AM

731 posts, read 935,284 times
Do you have kids? Would you be closer by if they needed you quickly? The only way I could do this commute is to learn some really funky back road routes. Will she be traveling during peak traffic? Not only will she have to get through the city, but it's also a crosstown commute. I would think that would be 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each way, depending on day and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area