Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM

17 posts, read 37,812 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Can you please give me some info on Newport Hills in Bellevue, Wa. I have found a few houses I like in the area. We have three kids under 8. I drove by and saw there is a local swim and tennis club. Are there young families in this neighborhood? I am really loving the neighborhood's proximity to the freeways and shopping. Most of the houses have large yards. The houses are in the Renton School District, but our kids attend private school. We are not looking to be in the high end area of Bellevue. We are looking to give our children a balanced life with exposure to diversity in ethnicity and incomes. Please tell me the good and the bad. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Older split level homes built in the 60s owned mostly by retirees. Big yards but when I last saw the homes they mostly needed updating, very dated finishes with things like chiclet small tile entries, pink bathrooms and such. As an investment, I would think the homes are great because the location is so good and the yards are large by today's standards.

It's close to Lake Washington and the boat launch is right by there. Factoria Mall is close by and there's a thread about that on this page. Factoria Mall is full of discount stores and apparently a Walmart is coming there. In my mind, that would be the biggest risk to home values. Maybe it's just me but I've never seen a Walmart improve a neighborhood. It totally does not go with Bellevue and I'm amazed they approved it. I haven't been over there in a long while but there used to be a market and a full service gas station which is so rare as to be extinct anymore.

Last edited by Seacove; 08-09-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I like Newport Hills.
Pluses: I like the 50's-60's style of houses common there. Some of them have been fixed up/updated, and some need some help. The houses often have tall ceilings and large windows. It's a pretty area, and safe. Big trees, and a nice feel.
Pretty convenient location, yet out of the way. Big yards. Has a library branch.
Cons: The small retail district at 119th is a shadow of it's former self. The supermarket is closed, and you'd need to go to Factoria for food shopping. Not too far, but not something you'd want to walk home from with groceries. There's an OK tavern with decent food, but the pharmacy and supermarket are gone. No places to go hang out.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM

The market's gone? Is it empty now or did something else move in there?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The market's gone? Is it empty now or did something else move in there?
It's empty. That little mall is like a ghost town.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I drove by that depressing shopping center today. It had me worried. A perfect spot for a new Trader Joes!! Most of the houses that I would want have already be remodeled, they just need some personalization, or some yard work.

Are there families with small children? For the price and promixity to the freeways and commuting it seems great. I think the Newcastle shopping area isn't very far either.

I am really excited about the lot size. Everything that is a new build is on a postage size stamp lot.

Is there an HOA? Just curious.

I appreciate the information!

Thank you.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

I bet there's not an HOA but Ira would know. That makes me sad about that market and all, it was pretty homey years ago. A Trader Joes would be perfect there. I'm sure there are families there, I would swear there was an elementary school right there and a YMCA down the hill.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
A lot of the families there have kids heading off to college, and retirees have stayed due to the prices dropping so have not yet been replaced by people with kids. Other than the lack of shopping the hill can be nasty on those few snow days. I doubt Trader Joe's would go in there as it's not really enough people to support it, and they are putting one not that far away near Target in Issaquah. Probably will close the small one by Costco.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info Hemlock. They are closing the trader joes by Costco. Just wishful thinking they would put one there. we used to live in Snoqualmie Ridge years ago, so a few bad snow days are ok with me!

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Newport Hillls does not have an HOA. There is a tennis and swim club, which people in the neighborhood are eligible to pay for and join. There's a nearby YMCA, so there must be some kids around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area