U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:17 AM

21 posts, read 45,003 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Seattle for a potential job at amazon. My husband is an avid cyclist and would like to commute by bike to work. I also have 3 kids - the oldest who will b entering 1st grade.

We currently live in upstate new York where we get a lot of bang for our buck housewise and so we're suffering a little from sticker shock at the real estate market out near Seattle!!! Where would be an affordable area with good elementary schools and with a decent bike commute be? I've read other posts say Enatai, medina, clyde hill and parts of issaquah... But the first 3 seem pretty expensive... Our budget is around 400k for a 3-4br and I'd like to stay in the suburbs with more room for the kiddos... Safety is my primary concern.

Also, Wwere specifically in issaquah should I look if that's a feasible option?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,136 posts, read 62,077,613 times
The only problem with Issaquah is that the best schools and most family-friendly neighborhoods are up high, making it a difficult ride uphill going home. Since he can ride on the I90 bridge, closer in older areas in Bellevue such as Lake Hills and Crossroads are as affordable as Issaquah and there are no bad schools in Bellevue. Look on a map between 140th and W Lake Sammamish, from Main St to I90 Freeway. There are still homes in the $350,000 range.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:19 PM

694 posts, read 943,567 times
If your husband is planning to ride his bike to work daily I would strongly recommend looking at areas along the Burke Gilman Trail which will allow him an offroad ride to the University Bridge and then a pretty easy ride down Eastlake towards Amazon HQ. I can't imagine biking in daily from Issaquah or Bellevue especially in the winter months when he would be most likely riding in the dark and rain on busy streets and steep hills.
Redmond near Marymoor Park, Lake Forest Park and Bothell all offer good schools and houses in your price range.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM

7,728 posts, read 14,217,690 times
Don't forget that OP's DH also has the option of using the bike racks on the buses for those steep hills or the days where he might feel too lazy.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the input!! This is definitely the most helpful resource I've come across yet. My husband is pretty dedicated a cyclist but when he flew out to seattle for his interview, he was a little taken aback by the gradient of some of the hills! I took a closer look at the houses and it seems like although the prices of the houses are higher than in upstate new York, the property tax is far less so we could probably afford more house than we thought. I haven't looked in Redmond and I'm not familiar with how the school district measures up to Bellevue and issaquah so I guess that's my next bit of research.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,995,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleana View Post
Thanks everyone for the input!! This is definitely the most helpful resource I've come across yet. My husband is pretty dedicated a cyclist but when he flew out to seattle for his interview, he was a little taken aback by the gradient of some of the hills! I took a closer look at the houses and it seems like although the prices of the houses are higher than in upstate new York, the property tax is far less so we could probably afford more house than we thought. I haven't looked in Redmond and I'm not familiar with how the school district measures up to Bellevue and issaquah so I guess that's my next bit of research.
Redmond's in the Lake Washington school district. Maybe not quite as good as Bellevue's but on par with Issaquah's, still considered very good?
The other thing to note is that the commuter buses have bike racks, so if your husband starts his bike ride but it turns out to be just a little too rainy and miserable ,he can hop aboard a bus and take his bike.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,519,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Redmond's in the Lake Washington school district. Maybe not quite as good as Bellevue's but on par with Issaquah's, still considered very good?
The other thing to note is that the commuter buses have bike racks, so if your husband starts his bike ride but it turns out to be just a little too rainy and miserable ,he can hop aboard a bus and take his bike.
The one big problem with biking/bussing - if the bike rack is full, you cannot board.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,136 posts, read 62,077,613 times
I take either the 216 or 218 from Sammamish or Issaquah Highlands, and the earlier bus never has more than 1 bike, even in the nicer weather. Another option used by some of my co-workers is to drive with their bike to Mercer Island Park & Ride, then ride the bike the rest of the way. They do it more for exercise than to save gas money. When I was in a carpool I saw quite a few people drive with their bike on the back to the Eastgate P & R and then ride it in the rest of the way.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I take either the 216 or 218 from Sammamish or Issaquah Highlands, and the earlier bus never has more than 1 bike, even in the nicer weather. Another option used by some of my co-workers is to drive with their bike to Mercer Island Park & Ride, then ride the bike the rest of the way. They do it more for exercise than to save gas money. When I was in a carpool I saw quite a few people drive with their bike on the back to the Eastgate P & R and then ride it in the rest of the way.
Thanks so I'm gonna guess that traffic is ok from IH/sammamish to mercer island then? And that the worst of the traffic is from there on in to the city? Thanks!!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,519,775 times
Maybe give some thought to living in the northern parts of Seattle (Queen Anne, Madison Park, Montlake) ... easy bike ride, good elementary schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area