Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM

93 posts, read 364,893 times

Advertisements

i had mentioned in a previous thread that i'm moving to seattle soon.

i'm also a single, white male so at some point, i would hope to start dating out there as well. although not having to be stuck to my preference, i would admit to have a strong preference/desire for finding a serious relationship with someone of east-indian descent.

my understanding is that there is a strong east-indian population in the seattle area and i'm wondering how to go about making introductions and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,291 times
There IS a strong East Indian presence in this area. Unfortunately for you, the East Indian population here is primarily male (due to the draw of IT jobs), and a lot of the men are 1st generation immigrants, so there is more of a cultural divide. There are 2nd generation folks here and there, but not as many (in my experience) as 1st generation folks (who are less likely to date outside of their race).

There are huge communities out on the Eastside. Go to any Indian restaurant and just start chatting folks up! Folks are pretty friendly.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 AM

93 posts, read 364,893 times
interestingly enough, i would prefer first generation east indian, although i do agree with your assessment that first generation would be less inclined to date outside their race. however, if i was to find that diamond in the rough (so to speak) i think i'd actually blend better w/first generation.

thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:15 PM

23 posts, read 85,150 times
Default Just be a bit careful though

I have moved to this area recently. My spouse is from India and I am Black. The stares that we have got from Indians make us feel very uncomfortable. Our experience with people from East India here, men or women, have been sadly negative. We encounter many Indians at work and where we live, and my wife or I would say hi and try to strike a casual conversation. While we have made some friends that way and most people are polite, Indians here are very rude and aloof. A friend told me that a lot of East Indians have a fetish about fair skin and skin-lotions that would make the skin fairer for girls are wildly popular in India. Perhaps they don't like black people. Anyway, good luck in your search ;-)

Old 06-29-2008, 12:07 AM

854 posts, read 4,140,256 times
Uhh... dare we ask WHY you're looking specifically for an Indian woman to marry?? Curious as to how you'd "blend" with them given you say you're white yourself??

Old 06-29-2008, 09:31 AM

99 posts, read 386,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2005 View Post
I have moved to this area recently. My spouse is from India and I am Black. The stares that we have got from Indians make us feel very uncomfortable. Our experience with people from East India here, men or women, have been sadly negative. We encounter many Indians at work and where we live, and my wife or I would say hi and try to strike a casual conversation. While we have made some friends that way and most people are polite, Indians here are very rude and aloof. A friend told me that a lot of East Indians have a fetish about fair skin and skin-lotions that would make the skin fairer for girls are wildly popular in India. Perhaps they don't like black people. Anyway, good luck in your search ;-)
Washiontonians in general are rude and aloof.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM

59 posts, read 224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2005 View Post
A friend told me that a lot of East Indians have a fetish about fair skin and skin-lotions that would make the skin fairer for girls are wildly popular in India.
Watch Indian TV for an hour and you'll see several commercials for these products. This one isn't in English, but I bet you can still get the main point of it.

YouTube - Fair & Lovely Ad - India

Old 06-30-2008, 01:19 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,256 times
Oh man, that's so sad.

I was in China and the girls at the factory there kept saying how beautiful I was (I'm pretty fair, jury is out on lovely, given my lack of stilettos). It's ironic because here they'd be the gorgeous ones.

Cruel, and sad. Very, very sad.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 PM

111 posts, read 412,297 times
I quite disagree with this nonsense; I'm Indian and I have enough african-american friends, middle eastern friends of all skin-tones.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM

111 posts, read 412,297 times
It's a matter of perception; it's not just India, it's Pakistan, China, Japan; everybody wants to look attractive; it so happens that lighter complexion is a pathway (so they claim).

I'm Indian, totally fine with my complexion which though is lighter than most indians, but it's probably a malfunction somewhere; in any case, why is somebody's personal desire to look a certain way sad?

All the people who want to be tanned? Is that sad too?

And to add to that, why is someone's personal desire to be friends based on country/religion/color/race wrong? Why can't I cherry pick who I want to be friends with, just as I can choose who I'd like to go out on a date, share a bed at night, or spend my life with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: