Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM

299 posts, read 665,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I'm a 32yr old male from NYC. I bug my fiance about moving to Seattle all the time and when she asks me what's my obsession with moving there I cant give her a logical reason. Truth is, I dont know why. Anyway, I think I will be making a move in the near future as I will be able to get a job transfer within my company and I have a few questions.
Same here. I was obsessed with Seattle for a long time- heard such great things about the emerald city, the greenery, the music scene, the potential for success, and wanted a piece of the pie. For years I was stuck living where I was from but finally got the opportunity to move to Seattle area last year and haven't regretted it. Bear in mind that Seattle is not New York- we can't do a half million things all at a quarter to 3. Seattle is much smaller and slower-paced, but you can still get that condensed big-city feeling and lots of diversity and culture around downtown. COL is lower than New York but there is still opportunity to make a pretty penny, so you'll certainly get more bang for your buck here.

Quote:
I want to be close to the city but not live in it. I currently reside in Queens, NY and am only about 15 minutes from Manhattan. Is there a similar area around the Seattle area? Preferably middle/working class. I enjoy the quiet residential feel when coming home but know that I'm close to everything when the time comes.
I believe most neighborhoods close to downtown are pretty working class or middle-class. You might also give Bellevue a try- interesting mix of suburb and urban center, and right across the lake from the core of Seattle. Bellevue was recently ranked as 1 of the best places in America to live. It's a beautiful city.

Quote:
Also, are there any beaches nearby? I currently live about 30 minutes from all Long Island beaches and visit them quite frequently throughout the summer and would like to be able to do the same once I make the move.
Beaches here aren't like the ones in Long Island, Jersey Shore, Florida, or California - they're rockier and the water temperature is probably colder than you're used to. Washington is better known for its plush green forests, mountain vistas, lakes, hiking, fishing, et al. It's a nature-lover's dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,454,180 times
Seattle holds a lot of peoples fantasies right now. It has large quantities of unspoiled wilderness, great scenery, and lots of media attention. However, you should visit a few times before moving out. Be sure to go at least once during the winter. I like the rain, but it drives some people absolutely bonkers to be raining or overcast for so long.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 AM

217 posts, read 410,665 times
We just did it and I say go for it. My boyfriend is from Westchester county NY and spent the last 12 years in the city- I was only there for 4. It's very unlike NYC in that Seattle proper is extremely residential. COL definitely lower, overall vibe definitely slower and calmer. I really recommend coming out here first tho- in the middle of winter would be a good idea. It's hard to grasp the difference in the weather unless you've been in if. Overall, much warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Now the beaches- may require some major adjustment to get used to it I grew up in an SC beach town. We bought property on the ocean in Western WA, and there's no chance I'm getting in that water. It is wild- the rip tides look like they're just crazy. But the beach itself is unbelievably beautiful. It's very different, luckily not in a bad way

Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM

335 posts, read 334,011 times
A few points:

--It doesn't rain nearly as much as they say, but it does rain enough to keep everything lush and green.

--There is no personal income tax.

--It is much easier to get to Asia from Seattle than from anywhere else in the U.S. (look at a globe, not a flat map, if you don't believe me).

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM

173 posts, read 224,298 times
I came to Seattle for a three-day visit years ago and, on the third day, decided to move here. I have never looked back and wouldn't live anywhere else. I have become so attached to this place that I get homesick if gone for even a short period of time. Tremendous amount of things to do, whatever your interest (except maybe surfing or tropical bird watching ). From certain vantage points, the skyline looks huge and there is a definite hustle and bustle to downtown--at least during weekday business hours. I moved to Ballard because I wanted to be close to downtown work (actually South Lake Union) and also near to Puget Sound, yet actually live in a quiet area and, on my street, you can hear a pin drop at night. An added bonus, I soon discovered, was to be able to walk most of the way home after work on a scenic path along inland waterways. You may have realized that our beaches have little in common with those of the mid-Atlantic ocean beaches. But there are some honest-to-goodness sandy beaches, such as Alki and Golden Gardens near me, where, on a hot summer day, one can amost imagine.....I love that there is so much nature and parkland in the city (wildness even) with real wilderness a relatively short distance away. I could go on and on. This fall has indeed been gloomy and the days are very short about now, but all I have to do to look forward to the sunny, warm and long days to come is to contemplate what my springtime garden will look like, and then curl up inside with a good book wait the winter out.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,127,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I'm a 32yr old male from NYC. I bug my fiance about moving to Seattle all the time and when she asks me what's my obsession with moving there I cant give her a logical reason. Truth is, I dont know why. Anyway, I think I will be making a move in the near future as I will be able to get a job transfer within my company and I have a few questions.

I want to be close to the city but not live in it. I currently reside in Queens, NY and am only about 15 minutes from Manhattan. Is there a similar area around the Seattle area? Preferably middle/working class. I enjoy the quiet residential feel when coming home but know that I'm close to everything when the time comes.

Also, are there any beaches nearby? I currently live about 30 minutes from all Long Island beaches and visit them quite frequently throughout the summer and would like to be able to do the same once I make the move.

Thanks in advance!
If you can't think of any reasons to move to Seattle, then why move? Seems your girlfriend has more brains then you do. My advise is to hang on to her and follow her advise. After all, the whole United States centers around NYC. The rest of us are just neanderthals and hillbillies living in the boodocs. You wouldn't enjoy our company.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 AM

19 posts, read 70,446 times
Visit man! I've been obsessed with the city since my family moved to boise idaho 15 years ago and finally visited a year or so ago and loved it. Rained and was overcast whole time I was there (it was march/april to be fair) people seemed friendly (don't get the freeze thing) lots of stuff to do. Loved the library (its huge!) and lots of great food options and stores. still got the outdoors all around you and just yeah amazing stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area