Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,689 times

Advertisements

Seems like there are a lot of bad neighborhoods in Seattle.. What about MLK JR way near Yesler? that an okay area? i know it's in the CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 PM

35 posts, read 54,343 times
Seattle is one of the Safest large cities in america, it has the fewest Urban Decay and project devolpments of any major city, gun crime and violence is rare in seattle and year by year seattle is on the bottom run for crime. the only major crime is car theft.

there is not one neighborhood in seattle that looks or is ghetto and the same goes with portland i dare someone try prove me wrong

Old 01-31-2008, 12:32 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M504 View Post
Seattle is one of the Safest large cities in america, it has the fewest Urban Decay and project devolpments of any major city, gun crime and violence is rare in seattle and year by year seattle is on the bottom run for crime. the only major crime is car theft.

there is not one neighborhood in seattle that looks or is ghetto and the same goes with portland i dare someone try prove me wrong
It's safer in Seattle than alot of areas, no doubt. But gun violence is not rare. I've heard of several cases of gun violence that do not make the news. Seattle is not all peaches and cream crime, with us only having to worry about car theft. I think it is the major crime around here, but alot more goes on.

Man, I'm not going to go into details, but again, there is alot of stuff that happens that is not really newsworthy. I think it's stupid and alot of it I don't understand because this is not South Central LA or anything like that. But the shootings, violence, is going on, even if you don't see it or hear about it.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 PM

327 posts, read 962,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
You didn't mention Kent...
Yes....and Kent. Any further south and we're in the weeds. As far as Seattle goes, I think I would only WANT to live in:

Montlake
Madison Park
Queen Anne
Wallingford
Ballard
Magnolia

Everyplace else is kinda of hit and miss.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 36,550 times
well dangerous neighborhoods? umm id say from george town through boulivard park and parts of seatac are nice but the northern moast parts of the city ae ghetto and the southern parts of the city is ghetto basicaly anywhere near pacific highway will be ghetto oh and there is an almost unkown neighborhood call tophat its pretty abandoned here is a video of seattle ghettos

YouTube - seattle ghettos

id have to say that there are alot of crime in these nieghborhoods oh and all dowm mlk like rainier and all that is ghetto i jsut dont get it when people say seattle doesnt have ghettos just look at the video!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
I actually recognize some areas and I have to scoff at that. One street doesn't define an entire place.

Highway 99 tend to be what some would label "crime-infested" but it's still safe enough for a girl to go walking down the street without getting hassled. Highway 99, however, is just not pretty at all.

One part covered Des Moines Memorial drive---> obviously filmed a some while ago, of course there are going to be some boarded up houses, the airport just brought those houses with the intent of tearing them down. There used to be a Red Apple store, no longer there-- area doesn't really support it since you can just go to 1st Ave where they have Trader Joe's, Albertson's, Fred Meyers, et. c.

Seattle doesn't have ghettos. Go to the East coast. You'll see what real ghettos are. My husband talks about walking around severely drunk in DC one night and when he got back to his college campus and told everyone that he was just walking around town-- people just freaked because he put himself in a dangerous situation (and ultimately lucked out).

Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,255 times
I'm from the east coast, and Portland doesn't have any ghettos. I can't say Seattle doesn't because I don't know it as well, but people out here see an empty lot with a closed down gas station on one side and a check cash place on the other and they get all in a tizzy, screaming GHETTO! I've been out here so long that if I see graffiti anywhere (I really hate graffiti), a little voice inside me whispers, "ghetto." A term like "ghetto" is so relative anyway. It's like "ugly." Sure, there will be some areas we can all agree are ghettos, but 80% of the time (yes, I just made that percentage up) it is merely someone turning their nose up at some weeds and cracked concrete - or whatever it is that they find distasteful that doesn't exist on THEIR block.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Im upset to say this but I felt safer in most areas of New York City where I am from from 11pm-2am than Seattle. Usually in Seattle, I never feel like being outside that late, while in NYC I wouldnt be as discouraged being outside that late. Maybe I feel like that because Im just more familiar with NYC and I felt more comfortable there because I lived there longer, and more crowds and density around me give me a sense of security sometimes. I still feel relatively safe here in Seattle almost all the time, and Seattle seems to be rather safe in general compared to many places in America, except for car theft. I have been outside here later than 10pm and usually it feels safe, but I have seen some sketchy things here that bothered me, surprised me, and was completely random.

For me, its hard to believe that the northern areas of Seattle around Aurora Avenue is so dangerous. I dont live that far away from there, and I usually feel very safe in this area.That area does look dumpy though, but gets nicer west of Aurora Avenue. I have been to a Target store in White Center at 9pm before and it felt completely safe. I also was in areas of West Seattle nearby Delridge at 9-10pm and it felt safe there too. I stayed at a hotel on Aurora Avenue and somewhere around 100th-110th the first two nights I was in Seattle, and it never felt dangerous there, even at 9-11pm or later.

The area around Lake City and Northgate mall though seems like such a dump later at night. I actually wanted to go to North Seattle Community College for my first year of college, but now rather go to Seattle Central Community College in Capital Hill and go there. I heard there is crime in Capital Hill, which surprised me, but the neighborhood Seattle Central is in more vibrant and interesting than where North Seattle CC is, and I assume Capital Hill is usually very safe during school/work hours. North Seattle Community College is much closer to where I live, but I dont mind a longer commute to go to a neighborhood that I love more, and a community college that offers more opportunities than North Seattle CC. I would say Seattle has ghettos by far than most other American major cities, but there are dull, dumpy, run down areas.

These areas seem like some of the most dangerous areas to me in the Seattle area from what I know about the area so far:

- Everett(I had a friend there and she always complained how horrible Everett was. It was so bad for her that she went to high school an hour away from Everett in the east side rather than going to high school in Everett).
-Tukwila
-Central District(Im not sure why there seems to be so much crime there because it already seems like a nice neighborhood in so many ways and has lots of potential)
- The transition zone between Capital Hill and Madrona/Leschi. Also not sure why this area seems to have more crime than other spots.

Some of the safest areas of the Seattle area

-Areas of Queene Anne/Magnolia
-Northern areas of West Seattle
-Mercer Island
-Bellevue
-Bainbride Island/Vashion Island .

I personally would never live in Mercer Island, Bellevue, or Bainbridge Island and Vashion Island though, even though I do think they are nice places. I just prefer being in a more high density urban neighborhood that is safe than a suburban area that is safe.

Many areas in Seattle seem to be hit and miss in how safe it is some examples: University District, Capital Hill, Belltown, Ballard, Wallingford, in Seattle, Kent, Renton, Bremerton, Downtown Seattle.

Last edited by ; 06-05-2010 at 03:08 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I feel totally safe in Seattle no matter where I go. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago. There's real ghettos there. Kids (10, 11, 12) with guns taking pot shots at cops, other gang members, and just spraying bullets around because they don't know how to aim. Drugs, prostitution, and gun violence is rampant there.

Of course there are upper middle class and upper class neighborhoods (and I admit to growing up in one of them), but it didn't take a long drive to find one.

Today I was walking around the "unsafe" area of Leschi that NUB was talking about and I was laughing when I read that he felt unsafe there. NYC ain't that pretty in Queens, is it? I felt MUCH more unsafe in Queens and certain areas of the Bronx than ANYWHERE in Seattle.

Last edited by eskercurve; 06-05-2010 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 06:15 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times
Without knowing much, the name Skid Row just sounds hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area