Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM

156 posts, read 195,549 times

Advertisements

King County neighborhoods rather accurately reflect the meteorological climate: dull, overcast and culturally stagnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times
I don't know how a neighborhood can be overcast, or a climate culturally stagnant

Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM

446 posts, read 709,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Ballard and Wallingford dangerous? Hahahaha. Seriously? You're neurotic. I leave my door unlocked a lot of the time.
You're living in a fantasy world.

Ballard and Wallingford aren't bad, but they certainly aren't good.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
People keep saying how "safe" Seattle is, well not so much. I've been here my whole life (since 1977). Capitol Hill, Central District, Pioneer Square, International District, Belltown, U - District, Rainier Valley = all places to avoid. While I have lived on Cap Hill since 1996, it's no place for families, no place for kids,yet a whole bunch of them recently showed up and are now bitching about how dangerous it is. HELLO - always has been!!! Do your homework! Seattle is NOT Mayberry, all though people from other cities keep on thinking it is, and yet are always surprised when crime happens. Seattle IS a city, with a very big drug problem. Odd decades are heroin problems and even decades are cocaine/meth problems. In case you missed the last 40 years, it's also high in serial killings and unsolved murder.
Lastly, Seattle Proper is only 11 miles long and 3 miles wide, and compared to NY, or LA, or Chicago, it may seem safer, but add in the size of it to it's crime rates, it's not as safe as it "seems".

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,456 times
I think a good analysis of the city is as follows:
First off, I must say that I love Seattle and I was certainly pleased to find out that there are minimal "ghettos" compared to cities on the east coast. However, that doesn't mean that every area is desirable and obviously there will be pockets of riff raff, like anywhere else.

The way I look at it is (generally speaking), you have no reason to go to the far north and far south parts of the city. South Park, White Center, Aurora, and Lake City are not at all desirable in my opinion. Besides that, the areas south of downtown are less desirable than the areas that are just north. When my family and I were driving up there a couple months ago, we found Ballard, Wallingford, Eastlake, and to a lesser extent Fremont to be very desirable while we found the Intl. District, SoDo, Beacon Hill and Rainer Valley to be undesirable. That being said, I think the really pleasant neighborhoods are for the most part concentrated in pockets just north of the city. The bad areas in Seattle aren't terrible ghettos but still may be undesirable/industrial/slightly decayed with some derelicts mixed in. I think the only places where you will find real ghettoes are the burbs as well as Tacoma.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
You're living in a fantasy world.

Ballard and Wallingford aren't bad, but they certainly aren't good.
Ballard and Wallingford are two of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city... What constitutes a "good neighborhood" to you?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I think a good analysis of the city is as follows:
First off, I must say that I love Seattle and I was certainly pleased to find out that there are minimal "ghettos" compared to cities on the east coast. However, that doesn't mean that every area is desirable and obviously there will be pockets of riff raff, like anywhere else.

The way I look at it is (generally speaking), you have no reason to go to the far north and far south parts of the city. South Park, White Center, Aurora, and Lake City are not at all desirable in my opinion. Besides that, the areas south of downtown are less desirable than the areas that are just north. When my family and I were driving up there a couple months ago, we found Ballard, Wallingford, Eastlake, and to a lesser extent Fremont to be very desirable while we found the Intl. District, SoDo, Beacon Hill and Rainer Valley to be undesirable. That being said, I think the really pleasant neighborhoods are for the most part concentrated in pockets just north of the city. The bad areas in Seattle aren't terrible ghettos but still may be undesirable/industrial/slightly decayed with some derelicts mixed in. I think the only places where you will find real ghettoes are the burbs as well as Tacoma.

Tacoma isn't even that bad. I'll go on record and say Seattle doesn't have any ghettos. As someone who grew up in the projects in the 80s early in life, there is no way in hell anything in Seattle or Tacoma compares. The few people in Seattle trying to act "hard" wouldn't last 2 seconds in a real ghetto out East. If anything, they're laughable. People say Seattle and Tacoma were bad at one time, but I'm pretty sure the element left the city long long ago. You can go into anywhere in Seattle or Tacoma and won't run into any problems. When people call an area bad, I just think they're psyching themselves out.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Coming from Southen California, Seattle feels as dangerous as a shopping mall in SoCal. You can see bums and people who are obviously on drugs, but the violence level is tame in comparison.

For instance, I was in the UDistrict today. Practically child-friendly compared to Berkeley or LA.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 PM

288 posts, read 344,932 times
Seattle has one of the worst homeless problems of any developed city in the world. It's downtown is pretty bad, Tacoma and Everett can also be pretty bad in certain areas as well.

http://list25.com/25-cities-extremel...s-populations/

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Seattle has one of the worst homeless problems of any developed city in the world. It's downtown is pretty bad, Tacoma and Everett can also be pretty bad in certain areas as well.

http://list25.com/25-cities-extremel...s-populations/
Seattle has one of the most spoiled homeless populations in the country.. However, after being in Tacoma yesterday, I can attest that Tacoma has a "WORSE" homeless problem. I haven't hung around Tacoma in 2 years, but the lower downtown area is looking utterly depressing and very dilapidated. The homeless there looked much less healthy. Yes, I know that sounds funny, but most homeless I see in Seattle are fed well, clothed decently, but in Tacoma they look strung out, dirt poor and like they have a lot of s*** to deal with each day. I hung out with a homeless backpacker guy at coffeeshop in Tacoma a couple years back who showed me his knife wound he received by some psycho who stabbed him while he was sleeping under a bridge in Tacoma passing through.

And, I would take the grungy, smelly, spoiled and the few cuckoo homeless people we have in Seattle compared to the violent, cracked out and angry homeless people I encountered in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Even, Burnside Street in Portland had a much scarier homeless population than what I have seen in Seattle. People routinely got shot dead on Burnside St near the bridge and I would watch crack dealers use their own 5 or 6 year old kids as lookouts for them to make deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area