Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,790,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Not at all. Los Angeles is over-crowded,
Not really.

Quote:
congested,
In some areas. In others, you have the same sort of medium-density, low-lying apartment complexes that you'll see all around Seattle.

Quote:
polluted,
Yeah, the air quality here isn't that good, but it's hardly unlivable.

Quote:
and sprawled out to the edge of the earth.
Like basically any other major city.

Quote:
Seattle has fresh clean air,
... and grey skies 3/4 of the year,

Quote:
not crowded,
It's somewhat crowded in the urban parts, as you'll find in many other places. Outside of the urban core, it's quite suburban.

Quote:
only congested on weekdays during peak drive times,
And I can drive from Beverly Hills to DTLA or the beach in about 20 minutes during off-peak hours. LA traffic is bad but if you live here long enough to figure out routes other than the freeway home, you can get to your destination in half the time, sometimes less.

Quote:
and much more condensed and well-planned than Los Angeles could ever hope to be.
LA's worst fault in terms of urban planning is public transit, which is a big snafu, but they're doing what they can to improve it within the confines of a crummy economy and decades of development that has attracted millions of people and the physical structures to accommodate them and their jobs. You can draw a correlation with Seattle's redevelopment of the area around the Alaskan Way viaduct and also the underground bus tunnels.

Quote:
There are some good aspects about Los Angeles but comparing it to Seattle is senseless.
Diversity, food, culture, arts, music, are all areas that LA is extremely tough to beat, and was one of the big reasons that my attempt to live in Seattle again after having spent six years in LA was a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenick View Post
I apologize in advance posting this because it is off-topic, but you guys would be the best bet to go to. I am from Calgary and taking my mom to Seattle for a few days tomorrow and I need some recommendations for a hotel to stay at. I would prefer to stay somewhere central, but am finding that downtown hotels are for the most part, ridiculously expensive. Anybody have suggestions? Once again sorry for the off-topic post
The Baroness Hotel is on First Hill, basically on the edge of downtown, and is reasonably priced though it's not the swankiest nicest place in town. You can walk to the convention center and Westfield in about five minutes, and from there it's another ten or so to Pike Place.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,641,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Not really.

In some areas. In others, you have the same sort of medium-density, low-lying apartment complexes that you'll see all around Seattle.

Yeah, the air quality here isn't that good, but it's hardly unlivable.

Like basically any other major city.

... and grey skies 3/4 of the year,

It's somewhat crowded in the urban parts, as you'll find in many other places. Outside of the urban core, it's quite suburban.

And I can drive from Beverly Hills to DTLA or the beach in about 20 minutes during off-peak hours. LA traffic is bad but if you live here long enough to figure out routes other than the freeway home, you can get to your destination in half the time, sometimes less.

LA's worst fault in terms of urban planning is public transit, which is a big snafu, but they're doing what they can to improve it within the confines of a crummy economy and decades of development that has attracted millions of people and the physical structures to accommodate them and their jobs. You can draw a correlation with Seattle's redevelopment of the area around the Alaskan Way viaduct and also the underground bus tunnels.

Diversity, food, culture, arts, music, are all areas that LA is extremely tough to beat, and was one of the big reasons that my attempt to live in Seattle again after having spent six years in LA was a failure.
Heh, for someone suggesting that others see their city through rose-colored glasses, you might look in the mirror. I have nothing against LA, it's a fun city, but you've already said you don't like evergreens or the Northwest climate and prefer the desert. If that's the case, you're hardly objective. What's more, your references to those who like hiking as pretentious, that's...huh?

You don't like the place you grew up - that's normal; average even. My spouse and I grew up in Denver, returned briefly thinking it would be fun and ached for Seattle within months. We made one more work-related stop in Boston, returned to Seattle and didn't look back. I don't think there's anything wrong with Denver or Boston, but Seattle was the city we chose ourselves. Your parents chose Seattle but you chose LA. It's not surprising that your attempt to return failed, just odd that you still obsess about Seattle.

Last edited by Seacove; 08-26-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Heh, for someone suggesting that others see their city through rose-colored glasses, you might look in the mirror. I have nothing against LA, it's a fun city, but you've already said you don't like evergreens or the Northwest climate and prefer the desert. If that's the case, you're hardly objective.
I said that I can absolutely understand why people who believe that wetter, greener climates would find Seattle superior, though. And I quote (myself): "All this said, I can certainly, objectively see where if you are a fan of greenery and forests, as many people the world over are, Seattle would be right up your alley, along with Portland and Denver." I'd even be willing to be against myself and say that there are probably more people on the average who would find the lush forests and snow-capped mountains of the PNW to be more aesthetically attractive than the high deserts around LA; though I cannot understand this subjectively, I can objectively understand where people would view a forest full of hundreds of thousands, millions of tall trees on the slopes and valleys of snow-capped mountains to be a more glaring example of nature's splendor than, say, a low-lying valley ringed by rough, red rock mountains and occupied by sparse trees, succulent plants and shrubbery. I can totally respect that. I just don't feel that same pull personally.

I'm actually being extremely objective and can certainly admit that LA isn't without its faults (I like SF more overall anyway, and have been thinking about Hong Kong or Tokyo in the near future for a SERIOUS change of pace), but honestly, the torrid proclamations about LA's unlivable infrastructure, lack of culture, unbearable pollution, etc. are as tired as stereotypes about Seattle being a mecca for alt-rockin', grungy stoners and are completely lame, especially when you see many of the same complaints lobbed on these very forums about Seattle: horrible traffic during rush hour, dirty swaths of downtown, limited light rail, etc etc etc. Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to

Quote:
What's more, your references to those who like hiking as pretentious, that's...huh?
No such comment was made If you want a literal breakdown, I said "the hiking/mountaineering pretensions that are woven into the city's social fabric and style are completely lost on me." A pretention doesn't necessarily denote "pretentious," and is used more to describe "aspirations." For instance, I read a review of a Lincoln Town Car made in a British journal which described it as "a very large sedan with battleship pretentions," while praising its ride quality.

In this case, someone wearing a Goretex REI expedition-style parka intended for sub-zero temperatures and a pair of North Face hiking boots to go to the store has "hiking pretentions" in the same way that someone who's wearing a BDU jacket and a pair of Hi-Tec combat boots would have "paramilitary pretentions."

Quote:
You don't like the place you grew up - that's normal; average even. My spouse and I grew up in Denver, returned briefly thinking it would be fun and ached for Seattle within months. We made one more work-related stop in Boston, returned to Seattle and didn't look back. I don't think there's anything wrong with Denver or Boston, but Seattle was the city we chose ourselves. Your parents chose Seattle but you chose LA. It's not surprising that your attempt to return failed.
My mom was from Seattle and my dad was from the South. We moved away during his deployments and then again when he went to grad programs at Yale and Harvard - they stayed in MA. They actually never really discussed why they stayed away until I moved to Seattle and experienced the same thing. So... no, we all ditched Seattle. My parents both loved the atmosphere and geography of the PNW, but hated the social scene - I couldn't get behind either...

Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Oh, and to address your mildly-snotty edit:

Quote:
It's not surprising that your attempt to return failed, just odd that you still obsess about Seattle.
Obsess? Hardly... I just know it quite well and periodically, decide to engage in a discussion about it.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Potato potahto indeed. So none of your family likes Seattle, why do you come here to diss it? I don't go to the Denver boards and tell them the city is brown and I don't like it; that's just odd to me. Like Evergray coming here to post an insult because he just can't let it go even though he's supposedly returned to the Bay Area. Did Seattle harm you in some way that you seek retribution for?

My edit was a sincere. You don't come here to discuss Seattle so much as to toss a barb, then elaborate on why you feel the barb was justified.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Potato potahto indeed. So none of your family likes Seattle,
... actually, one of my sisters loves it, and I still have a few dozen family members in Seattle or the greater Seattle metro.

Quote:
why do you come here to diss it?
Lazy Sunday, going through some of the boards here to see what threads in what forums I may have some input on I started my post with "in my opinion," and proceeded to list reasons that I thought its beauty was overrated (the whole premise of the thread was asking this question) from the standpoint of someone who isn't as drawn to Seattle's topography by nature. Then, I listed a few areas I liked in Seattle, something that it has above one of my favorite cities, and also stated that I thought it was "more romantic" than another city I'm somewhat familiar with. In all truth, I find Seattle more romantic than NYC and Boston, both of which are cities that I love (I also said a couple unflattering things about Boston in the same post).

Quote:
I don't go to the Denver boards and tell them the city is brown and I don't like it; that's just odd to me.
Wonderful! We are obviously different people.

Quote:
Like Evergray coming here to post an insult because he just can't let it go even though he's supposedly returned to the Bay Area.
Again, I'm not really insulting Seattle; you're coming across as very touchy... right before you took up the cause of shaking your finger at me, I recommended a hotel to someone. I've come on here and suggested restaurants, hotels, neighborhoods, schools, hospitals, engaged in discussions about what Seattle used to be like and its old vanished standby's with other natives, etc etc etc. But, I digress; I don't feel that I have any reason to defend myself here. I'll give you be benefit of the doubt and assume you've just not seen any of those posts, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Did Seattle harm you in some way that you seek retribution for?
Nope. No harm, no foul; no retribution to seek.

Quote:
My edit was a sincere.
I'm sure it was.

Quote:
You don't come here to discuss Seattle so much as to toss a barb, then elaborate on why you feel the barb was justified.
No, not really. But then, I'm not the one who insinuated that someone had a personality defect because of a disagreement...

Old 08-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Yikes. You win - if that's what you're trying to do...

Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yikes. You win - if that's what you're trying to do...
No, that wasn't my goal. I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking for discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,596,342 times
415_s2k, it won't let me rep you again but, I agree with the premise of your posts. I am guilty of the same thing though, in jumping to the defense of my South land.....sometimes, unreasonably so....LOL.

eta: I worked with a man who lived on the coast of Florida, who took a high level management job with one of the shipbuilding concerns. He stayed for 10 years, never selling his Fl home and returned as soon as he could. He had a beautiful home on the water in a very nice area. He spoke well of Washington, Seattle in general but, he said it wasn't his home......

different strokes, different folks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area