Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,454 times

Advertisements

I know there have been plenty of similar threads and most likely your all tired lf reading the same bs over and over but I need opinions advice from residents and people who have an idea.
I currently work for NYPD Traffic and have been looking into taking the exam for Seattl PD to become an officer. Is it worth it? I am only 22years of age and want better in life. Want to know hows the cost of living and can a person make it based on an officers salary in Seattle or am I better off joing PD here in New York
City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM

507 posts, read 1,669,210 times
Cost Of Living Comparison

use this link for cost-of-living comparison. It's definitely cheaper here but it's also a different lifestyle here than in NYC.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
just to let you know....NYPD officers seem to be well respected......

they hate cops here and jump at every opportunity to crucify them....although at times the SPD officers seem to bring it upon themselves.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
oh, and what do you mean by better life?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Judging by the salary tables alone, and comparing cost of living you should have a significantly higher quality of life here. According to the SPD website you might be able to laterally transfer in if you're already certified. You should like it here, people get tickets for jaywalking.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM

102 posts, read 96,551 times
More like people get arrested and the **** beat out of them of jaywalking.

Ridiculous Seattle Police Misconduct - YouTube

this is what spd is known for
Dashcam video of Seattle police shooting - YouTube

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM

33 posts, read 58,068 times
IN a word- no.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMaR017 View Post
I know there have been plenty of similar threads and most likely your all tired lf reading the same bs over and over but I need opinions advice from residents and people who have an idea.
I currently work for NYPD Traffic and have been looking into taking the exam for Seattl PD to become an officer. Is it worth it? I am only 22years of age and want better in life. Want to know hows the cost of living and can a person make it based on an officers salary in Seattle or am I better off joing PD here in New York
City.
Probably it costs less to live in Seattle then in NY city. However, our next door neighbor sold their home here and bought a house in Long Island. They said they came out ahead with cash to spare. So, I don't know......
I was doing a trade show in the convention center in NYC once. Some gal asked me where I was from and I told her Seattle. She says, 'Oh, that's over in Oregon somewhere isn't it???'. I kept thinking to myself, 'Keep thinking that way, gal'. So, I'm saying to you, 'yeah, make sure you find us somewhere in Oregon before you come, there's no such place as Washington, it's Washington DC'.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree that the cost of living is less here, and it's a far more quiet and laid back environment, however I also agree that the police here are under constant scrutiny due to questionable practices. Some of it is having their hands tied by the mayor, and probably their leadership, but NYPD officers are far more respected world wide. Maybe you can come and help change that?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times
There are a lot of former NYPD officers here. SPD was directly hiring them a couple years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area