Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM

304 posts, read 871,673 times

Advertisements

I may be be moving to Seattle next fall. I am looking for a studio preferably for under $900 either in or somewhat close to the downtown area.

From my research it appears some cities have higher availability and more affordable studios than others. For example, I think Chicago has many great affordable studios while Boston does not.

I would like to live near an area with solid nightlife but that is not a must. I do need it to be somewhere near public transportation and somewhat close to UW law campus. I admittedly do not know too much about Seattle and how it is set up.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,348 times
It's somehow difficult to recommend an area without knowing anything about you, your lifestyle and your personal preferences, but Capitol Hill, which borders on Downtown, has very good nightlife, everything else you need and is easily walkable. It's also a much nicer area to live in than DT imho. You should be able to find a studio there for $900 in an older building, you can easily check on Craigslist.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Capitol Hill++

It's dense, walkable, has great nightlife, transit is convenient, and it's full of funky shops, restaurants, art, coffee houses, etc. It's convenient to both DT and UW. It also has a decent number of studios and it shouldn't be too hard to find one for around $900. If you want it a little quieter, stay a bit north of Pike/Pine and a couple blocks E/W of Broadway. It'll still be plenty convenient, but easier to sleep.

I live DT and previously lived in Cap Hill. While DT is nice 'n all - it's a bit lacking in what I call day-to-day amenities and it also doesn't feel like much of a 'neighborhood'. It's a business district where some people also live. Cap Hill is a very vibrant and distinctive neighborhood with several thriving business areas.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
It's somehow difficult to recommend an area without knowing anything about you, your lifestyle and your personal preferences, but Capitol Hill, which borders on Downtown, has very good nightlife, everything else you need and is easily walkable. It's also a much nicer area to live in than DT imho. You should be able to find a studio there for $900 in an older building, you can easily check on Craigslist.

Thats a good point I should have described myself. I am a 23 (will be 24 when I move) year old single male. I will be starting law school in the fall of 2013.

I wont have a car with me up there, only a bike. I do like to go out at night but I will be in law school so I will probably be going out a lot less. I would like to live in an area with a lot of other grad students and young professionals, though this is not mandatory for me. The most important thing is that I can live in a relatively safe area near public transportation.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Thats a good point I should have described myself. I am a 23 (will be 24 when I move) year old single male. I will be starting law school in the fall of 2013.

I wont have a car with me up there, only a bike. I do like to go out at night but I will be in law school so I will probably be going out a lot less. I would like to live in an area with a lot of other grad students and young professionals, though this is not mandatory for me. The most important thing is that I can live in a relatively safe area near public transportation.
Then CH fits you right I think. there'll be a lot of people in your age group, it's all a bit progressive with lots of hipster types around. Very well connected with public transport (for Seattle standards). You definitely don't need a car here but for the few occasions you do need one there are a lot of Zipcars available in the neighborhood. The only downside of living on the hill is that when you cycle somewhere else you always have to go back up the hill when you go home

Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,595 times
You should have fairly decent options, but will find better value if you go just a bit outside downtown. I haven't shopped for apts in awhile, but $900 will probably get you a decent, but tiny studio. Cap Hill is generally good as long as you're east of Broadway; the area between downtown and Broadway is noisy and a bit sketchy.

Since I assume you'll be going to the UW, why not get a place near the school? The U-dist itself can be a bit pricey, and some areas are sketchy, but there are some nice quiet neighborhoods nearby: Montlake is nice (but options are probably limited), as is Wallingford and Fremont. I especially like Wallingford: It has good amenities, but doesn't feel as busy or crowded as Cap Hill (also, there aren't as many sketchy elements). While bus service isn't quite as convenient/frequent in Wallingford and Fremont, it's still very good.

While downtown has added more amenities over the last few years, as others have said, it does not really feel like a neighborhood. I agree, it's dominanted almost entirely by office buildings and a few upscale chain restaurants. Even though some people do live there, it's not very personable.

Good luck where ever you wind up.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
You should have fairly decent options, but will find better value if you go just a bit outside downtown. I haven't shopped for apts in awhile, but $900 will probably get you a decent, but tiny studio. Cap Hill is generally good as long as you're east of Broadway; the area between downtown and Broadway is noisy and a bit sketchy.

Since I assume you'll be going to the UW, why not get a place near the school? The U-dist itself can be a bit pricey, and some areas are sketchy, but there are some nice quiet neighborhoods nearby: Montlake is nice (but options are probably limited), as is Wallingford and Fremont. I especially like Wallingford: It has good amenities, but doesn't feel as busy or crowded as Cap Hill (also, there aren't as many sketchy elements). While bus service isn't quite as convenient/frequent in Wallingford and Fremont, it's still very good.

While downtown has added more amenities over the last few years, as others have said, it does not really feel like a neighborhood. I agree, it's dominanted almost entirely by office buildings and a few upscale chain restaurants. Even though some people do live there, it's not very personable.

Good luck where ever you wind up.

Thanks I'll definitely take a look in those areas!!. As I said I am no expert on the layout of Seattle. Living close to school is definitely preferred, and I really need good access to public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area