Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM

8 posts, read 25,098 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are considering relocating to Friday Harbor and are hoping someone pretty familiar with the area could help with a few questions we have.

We're considering the north end of the island and are wondering if the noise from Roche Harbor airport is significant just north of the airport around Petrich Rd and Gull Cove Ln. We're on Bainbridge now and it's too noisy for us, especially because we get the jets from Seatac flying over.

Also, is there any significant weather differences between north of island and south? Sunnier, foggier, etc?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 AM

One other thing.. we'd love to hear any general feedback too.. any issues with the area you don't like or know of that might not be immediately oblivious. Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
I have only visited Friday Harbor, and have never been to Roche Harbor (even though I really wanted to but I wasn't the one driving). I have been to other parts of San Juan Island and recall it being very quiet and peaceful, especially at night, and you could actually see the stars in the night sky. Orcas Island too.

San Juan Island (as well as parts of Orcas and Lopez Islands) sit in the rainshadow of the Olympic Mountains, but that doesn't necessarily make them less cloudy than the rest of the area, just that they get less annual rainfall on average. The San Juan Islands also have milder summers (more like Sequim and Port Angeles) than what Seattle gets, with similar (although drier) winters.

Hopefully someone who lives there, has lived there, or has otherwise spent more time there will chime in.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
I've been to the San Juan Islands a few times and absolutely love it there. If I didn't have to work and could afford it, they would be near the top of places I'd like to live. I'd they're quite a bit like Vashon before it became somewhat gentrified.

Yeah, hopefully someone who lives there will be able to provide you with a more informed/experienced perspective. I'd also suggest you maybe spend a few days exploring the area to familiarize yourself.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
I've been to the San Juan Islands a few times and absolutely love it there. If I didn't have to work and could afford it, they would be near the top of places I'd like to live. I'd they're quite a bit like Vashon before it became somewhat gentrified.

Yeah, hopefully someone who lives there will be able to provide you with a more informed/experienced perspective. I'd also suggest you maybe spend a few days exploring the area to familiarize yourself.
Same here. The San Juan Islands are one of the very few places on this side of the state that I actually would love living in.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated! Not sure if any Friday Harbor locals visit these forums or not, but any additional information is certainly helpful. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area