Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times

Advertisements

Hi, long story short this is for a project I'm doing which I'm doing to be moving to Seattle for. This is a list of neighborhood names in Seattle:

Adams
Alki
Ballard = Downtown?
Beacon Hill
Belltown
Bitter Lake = Pioneer Square?
Broadway = Capitol Hill?
Bryant
Cascade
CBD
Central Area
Central Waterfront
Cherry Hill = Capitol Hill?
Chinatown
Columbia City
Delridge
Denny Regrade = Belltown?
Downtown
East Queen Anne
Eastlake
Fauntleroy
First Hill
Fremont
Greater Duwamish = Georgetown?
Green Lake
Greenwood
Haller Lake
Industrial District East
Interbay
International District
Junction
Lake City
Lake Union
Leschi
Lower Queen Anne
Madison Park
Madison Valley
Madrona
Maple Leaf
Montlake
North Admiral
North Capitol Hill
North Delridge
North Queen Anne
Northgate
Northwest Seattle
Old Burien
Phinney Ridge
Pike Place
Pioneer Square
Portage Bay
Queen Anne
Ravenna
Roosevelt
Roxhill
SoDo = Pioneer Square?
South Delridge
South Lake Union
Southeast Magnolia
Stevens
Sunset Hill
University District
University Way N.E.
Wallingford
Wedgwood
West Woodland
Westlake
Whittier Heights
Woodland Park

But I know locally they aren't really referred to as that, like Denny Regrade seems to be considered Belltown. Maybe SODO is Pioneer Square? If someone could translate that list into how those neighborhoods are called by locals it would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:36 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsOfDrinks View Post
Hi, long story short this is for a project I'm doing which I'm doing to be moving to Seattle for. This is a list of neighborhood names in Seattle:

Adams
Alki
Ballard = Northwest of downtown, west of Greenwood and north of Queen Anne
Beacon Hill = South east of downtown
Belltown = northern section of downtown, south of Queen Anne, west of South Lake Union
Bitter Lake =
Broadway =
Bryant
Cascade
CBD
Central Area
Central Waterfront
Chinatown
Columbia City
Delridge
Denny Regrade = Belltown?
Downtown
East Queen Anne
Eastlake
Fauntleroy
First Hill
Fremont
Greater Duwamish = Georgetown?
Green Lake = north of downtown, east of Queen Anne
Greenwood = north of downtown, north of Queen Anne and Ballard, west of Maple Leaf
Haller Lake
Industrial District East
Interbay
International District = southeast of downtown
Junction
Lake City
Lake Union
Leschi
Lower Queen Anne
Madison Park
Madison Valley
Madrona
Maple Leaf
Montlake
North Admiral
North Capitol Hill
North Delridge
North Queen Anne
Northgate
Northwest Seattle
Old Burien
Phinney Ridge
Pike Place
Pioneer Square
Portage Bay
Queen Anne
Ravenna
Roosevelt
Roxhill
SoDo = Stadium District - south of Pioneer Square
South Delridge
South Lake Union
Southeast Magnolia
Stevens
Sunset Hill
University District
University Way N.E.
Wallingford
Wedgwood
West Woodland
Westlake
Whittier Heights
Woodland Park

But I know locally they aren't really referred to as that, like Denny Regrade seems to be considered Belltown. Maybe SODO is Pioneer Square? If someone could translate that list into how those neighborhoods are called by locals it would be much appreciated

Thanks!
I took a crack at it. There's more but that is exhausting.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,573 times
I'll tackle northwest Seattle since that is where I live. All the northern neighborhoods are north of the Ships Canal. Magnolia and Queen Ann are really considered central, but they are north of downtown, and zone into Ballard High School in northern Seattle, and really, Magnolia feels like it's part of the northern area to me, just my opinion. Interbay divides the two. Drive down 15th towards downtown, you can see one hill to the west (Magnolia) and one to the east (Queen Ann)

Ballard and Sunset Hill (Sunset is upscale western portion closest to Puget Sound) are to the northwest. Everyone will disagree exactly on what street is which dividing line, but generally anything west of 15th and below either say 90th or 85th (depending) is Ballard. North around the curve is Crown Hill. East of 15th to about 8th, and lower towards Market street, it's still in Ballard (eastern portion of Ballard) north of that and over to the east towards zoo is Phinney and it all blends together so one street might consider themselves Ballard, or Phinney or Fremont........some call themselves Freelard (kind of a blend). Hugging Puget Sound, north of Ballard, is Northbeach/Blue Ridge area.

Are you trying to decide what neighborhood to move to?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times
Thanks

I am trying to decide what area to move to but that's different for what I this for. I guess I haven't really been to the surrounding areas, I was down by where Whiskey Bar, Purple and some big complex that had this really cool bar in the lower level that had really good vegetarian nachos. I guess that's downtown?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Cherry Hill is around 17th and Cherry/Jefferson, too far south to be considered Capitol Hill, more like part of the Central Area.
Broadway is on Capitol Hill, but Capitol Hill is much larger than just Broadway. The south end of Broadway is on First Hill.
Chinatown and the International District are interchangable terms.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
Denny Regrade is an older name... only Natives (well, older ones) and long-time Seattleites would remember it.

Sodo is NOT Pioneer SQ. Sodo is "South of Dome" from the days of Kingdome (which is just south of Pioneer SQ)... but Kingdome is no longer around, so I guess it's supposed to be "South of Downtown".

I notice the repeat mentions of Queen Anne... Generally, its Upper Queen Anne ("family" area) and Lower Queen Anne (trendy area).

Well, I can try to crack it... I'll probably miss out a lot though.

Quote:

Adams (very area-specific... so don't be surprised if not a lot of people know of it)
Alki (West Seattle Area)
Ballard = Downtown? (Not Downtown, not even part of downtown)
Beacon Hill
Belltown
Bitter Lake = Pioneer Square? (Uuuuhhhhhmmmm, no, Bitter Lake is nowhere near PS)
Broadway = Capitol Hill? (Broadway is a street, basically the Main street of CH. Cool place to be)
Bryant
Cascade (So completely overshadowed by much cooler neighbors; I do wonder how well known the neighborhood name is)
CBD
Central Area
Central Waterfront (Is this even a neighborhood?)
Chinatown (I despise this name. As far as I'm concerned, it's just International District)
Columbia City
Delridge (West Seattle area)
Denny Regrade = Belltown? (** mentioned above)
Downtown
East Queen Anne (** mentioned above)
Eastlake
Fauntleroy (West Seattle area)
First Hill
Fremont
Greater Duwamish = Georgetown? (No, GT is its own neighborhood. Greater Duwamish area includes GT, Beacon Hill, Industrial)
Green Lake
Greenwood
Haller Lake
Industrial District East
Interbay
International District
Junction
Lake City
Lake Union
Leschi
Lower Queen Anne
Madison Park
Madison Valley
Madrona
Maple Leaf
Montlake
North Admiral (West Seattle Area)
North Capitol Hill
North Delridge
North Queen Anne
Northgate
Northwest Seattle
Old Burien (Burien isn't part of Seattle Proper, therefor isn't a neighborhood. Its a suburb)
Phinney Ridge
Pike Place
Pioneer Square
Portage Bay
Queen Anne
Ravenna
Roosevelt
Roxhill
SoDo = Pioneer Square? (** mentioned above)
South Delridge
South Lake Union
Southeast Magnolia
Stevens (very area-specific)
Sunset Hill
University District
University Way N.E.
Wallingford
Wedgwood
West Woodland
Westlake
Whittier Heights
Woodland Park

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,845,107 times
I don't live in Seattle proper but I've worked there for a number of years. My own personal observation is that when a "local" describes where he or she lives (or works), it's usually at the level shown on this city map:

Seattle Office of Economic Development - Support for Business Districts - Map of Neighborhoods

Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM

579 posts, read 1,210,573 times
Quote:
Denny Regrade is an older name... only Natives (well, older ones) and long-time Seattleites would remember it.

Sodo is NOT Pioneer SQ. Sodo is "South of Dome" from the days of Kingdome (which is just south of Pioneer SQ)... but Kingdome is no longer around, so I guess it's supposed to be "South of Downtown".

I notice the repeat mentions of Queen Anne... Generally, its Upper Queen Anne ("family" area) and Lower Queen Anne (trendy area).

Well, I can try to crack it... I'll probably miss out a lot though.
Plus, when describing Lower Queen Anne, I've heard some refer to it as Uptown, which is a misnomer to me, I'd expect Uptown to be UP, by Upper Queen Ann, not Lower Queen Ann. Kinda like jumbo shrimp I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area