U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM

40 posts, read 123,501 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid-30s and have been with my boyfriend for almost 15 years now and wondering which areas would be best to fit in? I have read that Edmonds is pretty laid back (though pricey) but not "yuppish" at all and it didn't seem like it just driving through (people waved at us even with an IL plate/rental car)! Kenmore was cheaper but also seemed okay, and the only part of Shoreline we drove through was Richmond Beach (seemed the hilliest of all three) and a small part of Lynnwood not far of of 99 but the neighborhoods seemed okay just at a glance. Any thoughts on these areas? We're thinking of relocating from Hampton Roads, VA (not sure where to work at yet but my boyfriend could possibly get a transfer with his company to downtown Seattle). I get tired of being asked a million times in Virginia, "When are you getting married/why aren't you married after all of this time/no kids?!" Thanks so much!

Last edited by Taiwanhellokitty; 09-05-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,608,419 times
I kind of like Kenmore. It's "dated" has a 1950's-1960's aura about it, and still has some industry. Next door neighbor Bothell has a cool old downtown. Not as pretty as Edmond's downtown, but still has it's charm, and Paul Allen is pouring many millions of dollars into developing the area adjacent to downtown Bothell.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM

214 posts, read 607,817 times
I will just add that I lived in Bothell for quite some time and plan on moving back. My parents live in Kenmore up Juanita drive and that is a beautiful area as well although its not the most convenient area for getting to freeways imo.

Edmonds is great as well, very pretty but in my 30's I feel really young for there......I think in my 40's I would feel really young there since Edmonds is where a lot of my friends grandparents live. I could be wrong maybe there is an influx of younger people moving there but expensive property prices I think would limit that.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM

561 posts, read 1,105,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwanhellokitty View Post
I get tired of being asked a million times in Virginia, "When are you getting married/why aren't you married after all of this time/no kids?!" Thanks so much!
That's less likely to be an issue here, for sure.

Edmonds and Shoreline seem fairly similar to me in the sense that they're both somewhat distinctive suburb-type areas. They've both managed to preserve at least a few trees, and aren't as marred by generic malls and subdivisions the way so many other burbs are.

From what I know of Kenmore, it's a mixed bag. Some areas are generic - shopping malls, chain stores, and subdivisions - while others residential areas are tree-lined and quite pleasant.

Something to consider: If your beau will be commuting during normal commute hours, his commute to downtown Seattle will be absolutely horrendous! During rush-hour, either by driving or using public transit, his commute will likely be about an hour in each direction. Considering fuel and parking costs public transit would be less expensive (maybe even a bit faster), but either option would be pure drudgery.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM

317 posts, read 388,528 times
Default Lynnwood - Seattle Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Something to consider: If your beau will be commuting during normal commute hours, his commute to downtown Seattle will be absolutely horrendous! During rush-hour, either by driving or using public transit, his commute will likely be about an hour in each direction. Considering fuel and parking costs public transit would be less expensive (maybe even a bit faster), but either option would be pure drudgery.
I don't know about Edmonds, Bothell or Kenmore, but the Lynnwood Transit Center - Seattle buses take nowhere near an hour. I ride the 7:26am #402 to Seattle and it's 35 minutes. Add 5 minutes for Seattle to Lynnwood on #402 or #417 at around 4:30pm. They're the double talls - comfy, quiet and a nice view from the upper deck. Also, the Sound Transit #511 runs atleast every half hour all day.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 PM

40 posts, read 123,501 times
Well, if he gets a transfer to the company that he works for now, they stress "flex-time" along with their "work/life/balance" motto, so he could probably get around the rush-hour grind... he could use public transportation or drive if he had to be in early for a meeting.

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciative!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,126,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwanhellokitty View Post
Well, if he gets a transfer to the company that he works for now, they stress "flex-time" along with their "work/life/balance" motto, so he could probably get around the rush-hour grind... he could use public transportation or drive if he had to be in early for a meeting.

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciative!
well, rush hour here isn't really an hour. Its more like 7-10 in the morning and 3-7 at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area