Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Indeed. I know people who simply stop going to school/college on the days it rains!
Couple that with the terrible air quality on most hot days in LA and (for me) there's not much to like.

16 Years there now feels like 15 too long ... making the move to Seattle has so far been the best thing we ever did (although this will be our first full winter here!)
For various reasons including my hobby of Bonsai, some sensitive to cold, this time of year I always check on a few long range weather forecasts. One in particular has been right on for several years. For this winter, they are saying a few degrees warmer than normal, fairly normal snow amounts mainly in mid-December and mid-late January. April and May a bit colder than normal.

Last winter we had many more days with snowfall but less accumulation than normal. Whatever we get, have a fun winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
Many of us can provide you with accurate descriptions of our weather, but you'll get dozens of interpretations based on how people feel about it. Even if you visit a dozen time over, you'll never really know how your family will adjust until you give it a try. Some people move here and fall in love with the moderate temperatures and cool summers, others run away as fast as they can, once they see how dark and damp it can get here. Still others, initially find it a refreshing change from where they came from, only to find that after a few years, the constant gray sky begins to wear on them, and they go searching for a sunnier city to live in.

Seattle is one of the most beautiful, vibrant cities in the country and there is much to fall in love with here. I think it's well worth a try, but do keep in mind that it's damp, cool and cloudy most of the year, despite what others may have told you. Your kids will play soccer on cold, rainy days and you will be standing out there shivering under an umbrella. The good news is, they will still have a blast, and no one gets even a sniffle - and when the sun does come out, it's pure heaven here!

Best of Luck.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
i moved to Redmond in July, i never see any rain. It did rain because when i wake up, i saw wet ground couple of time. that's aobut it. People told me that i will see alot of rain in SEP, but i haven't see any yet.

Maybe East side is different?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 AM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
The East Side is no different than Seattle. You have moved here during the best part of the year - our glorious summer! Hopefully, we'll still have a few more weeks of sunshine but the rain and clouds will be here soon!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM

195 posts, read 377,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For various reasons including my hobby of Bonsai, some sensitive to cold, this time of year I always check on a few long range weather forecasts. One in particular has been right on for several years. For this winter, they are saying a few degrees warmer than normal, fairly normal snow amounts mainly in mid-December and mid-late January. April and May a bit colder than normal.

Last winter we had many more days with snowfall but less accumulation than normal. Whatever we get, have a fun winter.
I was here for part of winter, but my now-wife got the brunt of the snow which was a little unpleasant.

We were in Bellevue at the time, and it was "interesting" that the snow ploughs (when they finally arrived, days & days after the snow) would come down the major streets, and stop at some "invisible" line, turn around and go right back away from us, leaving us covered in snow.

I am guessing it might have been the Bellevue/Redmone border, rather than the drivers just getting bored and going home.

I grew up in England, so the colder/rainier weather doesn't bother me especially, except walking to work through downtown is not going to be optimal.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
i moved to Redmond in July, i never see any rain. It did rain because when i wake up, i saw wet ground couple of time. that's aobut it. People told me that i will see alot of rain in SEP, but i haven't see any yet.

Maybe East side is different?
The weather is mostly dry from late June to late September or early October depending on the year. And September is one of the nicest months.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
I grew up in England, so the colder/rainier weather doesn't bother me especially, except walking to work through downtown is not going to be optimal.
I'm the same as you, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might others. It's in my blood...

Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM

148 posts, read 228,520 times
I am coming from the Syracuse, NY area of Upstate NY.

Our annual sunshine % is virtually identical to yours. In fact, all of Upstate NY is equal to the PNW sun averages.

We are just snowier and colder. You are wetter and milder.

Will I have an issue with the climate there?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:28 PM

260 posts, read 768,492 times
Coming from sunny California, the darkness affects me more than anything. I miss sitting in outdoor cafes and watching people go by. There are pluses though as you can't see any of the dust on your furniture for the entire winter which saves a tremendous amount of time in cleaning. Ditto with the cobwebs. The real horror is when you get a sunny day and realize that you have not seen the chin hairs growing all winter long. ahhhhh

Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 PM

269 posts, read 297,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
I am coming from the Syracuse, NY area of Upstate NY.

Our annual sunshine % is virtually identical to yours. In fact, all of Upstate NY is equal to the PNW sun averages.

We are just snowier and colder. You are wetter and milder.

Will I have an issue with the climate there?

The cold sting of the rain will be something for which you'd not prepared.

But in due time you will adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area