Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 PM

58 posts, read 112,311 times

Advertisements

So I have been reading the blogs, forums and many sites.... I can't seem to find anything that is relatively the same. Everyone has a different view.... Which is fine when it comes to politics... But come on!!!! The weather is what it is!! right?

So what's the real deal?

I'm contemplating moving my family from Southern California to Seattle. But, before you say I'm crazy... Let me say this... We live at the beach in Orange county... But we have literally been to the beach 4 times in the past 10 years. So we are not beach people by a long shot! My partner can't be in the sun due to potential skin cancer. I'm at home with my kids indoors doing homework, living life and making dinner.... So we really don't use the outdoors as far as the sun is concerned. But with that being said... How much does the sun play a part of our psychological everyday lives? If I lived in a larger home, with family and things to do... how bad is it? Am I going to chase my kids around with a hatchet because I'm gonna go mad?

Can someone explain the weather to me? The millions of people that live in Seattle cannot be all going crazy? or are they?

HELP? I wanna get out of The OC!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,938 posts, read 81,996,937 times
We moved here from CA with young kids, now grown, and they spent just as much time outdoors as they did there. Most of the rain we get is a fine mist, and while it can last for weeks, you can still play soccer, go for walks and hikes, play tennis and basketball in it. People sensitive to the need for sun do have problems and will have special lights at their desk to help
make up for it, but for those that don't like it hot, and don't like dry, brown hills most of the year it's a great place to live.
I walk 1 mile from the bus tunnel in downtown Seattle to my office and do so regardless of the weather, all year, in rain and even on those few snow days. We have gone over 40 days without seeing the sun, but currently are at over 40 days of sun with no rain, at least until tonight or tomorrow. Many, if not most that post about the bad weather are just trying to keep people away because they think it's too crowded here already.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,858,859 times
Clouds and rain most of the year which really only let up for any extended periods of time during the summer months, sometimes into early fall as well. Average temperatures during winter are highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s, and average summer temps are highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s.

I am a Seattle native, born to Seattle natives, and am used to the weather, even though personally I am tired of all the rain. I would much prefer a climate closer to Central and Eastern Washington (more defined and more reliable seasons, much drier year round). That being said, I am not going mad or crazy due to the weather here nor is anybody else I know. Well, maybe one poster here called Evergrey State who just can't cut it here weather wise, but I think he finally moved away from the area.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,858,859 times
BTW, coming from Southern California you will also notice large differences in day length here. In winter days are short, when the sun doesn't rise until nearly 8am, it is dark by 5pm or earlier, and a common saying is that you go to work in the dark and go home in the dark.

During the summer the days are long. The sun rises much closer to 5am, and sets after 9pm and the sky doesn't really get dark until about 10pm.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM

58 posts, read 112,311 times
Thank you for the info... I love hearing everyone's opinions. I'm coming up at the end of October, Thanksgiving and again in January to get a feel for the weather.... I've been there so many times... but it's just such a move that I really wanna make sure I know what we are getting into...

Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 10,006,131 times
Okay, the REAL DEAL:

May to the end of September: warm to hot days with nights that are still a little chilly. That's the one thing I still have to get used to. In the East Coast, summer days are hot as hell but then when the sun goes down it's the 70s...here, the days are in the 70s and the nights are still 50ish.

October to March: mostly overcast days with a little rain. It can get a little cold but it only goes below freezing for a day or two, staying around 50-40ish most days and then going to 40-38 at night. It rains heavy for like ten minutes then goes to light rain/mist or just overcast and threatening to rain but never getting the nerve to do it.

Things to consider are: it gets dark early in the winters and the sun sets late in the summer because we are so far north. That, and while it is comfortable most year round and doesn't rain in the monsoons people would have you believe, it is not uncommon to go two weeks without the sun appearing. I actually like cloudy, misty days so it doesn't phase me any. Oh, and it only snows once or twice a year and we'll get three inches and everyone will flip out (see the PEMCO: First snow flakes freak out Lady)

Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,793,379 times
Well...it doesn't get reliably sunny until after July 5th. And November to December it can actually rain a good bit. We do specialize in mist but we get serious rain to the point of flooding sometimes. And the clouds can be low and dark for days, even weeks at a time which has annoyed many to the point they post here venting all their frustration. We don't discourage that because we rely on that dark damp weather to keep the population reasonable.

From November through February, the days are typically in the 40s to low 50's so it's jacket weather. You rarely need a heavy coat, just something waterproof. Your body will adjust to the cooler temps quickly and you'll see plenty of cargo shorts in the winter which has been known to confuse the tourists.

We might get a snow or two a year and while it's shortlived, the town shuts down because it's not often enough to invest in many snowplows. About every ten years we get a real snowstorm. Cars abandoned on the freeways, buses sliding down hills almost on the freeway below, good times.

But for those of us who like the rain and don't mind the clouds, it's great because the car windows don't need to be scraped too often and the grass and trees are at their deepest, darkest green in December. So for those who can't take the overcast skies, mist, short winter days and slugs, CA is a straight shot down I-5 and we wish them well (that was for you Evergray).

Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,541,748 times
As others have said, it doesn't rain as much as you'd think per the stereotype, but it is cloudy quite a bit. Having lived in L.A. for a time - and as someone who visits there often as I have family and friends there - I think the biggest difference between L.A. and Seattle in terms of the weather is how the people behave when the sun doesn't come out. In L.A., when it is slightly chilly or rainy, people don't go outside. Here, people go out in all kinds of weather, because if we waited for the sun, we'd only be outside in the late spring-summer. So, if/when you move here, you will need to force yourselves to go outside even if it isn't sunny. If you're chilly, just put on a sweatshirt; and if there is a "chance of showers," as there often is, just bring a jacket with a hood with you. Or, you can do what many of us do and just buy a ski jacket, because one nice trade off of moving here is that the closest ski area is only an hour from downtown Seattle - 45 minutes from the Eastside.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,143,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeseattle View Post
So I have been reading the blogs, forums and many sites.... I can't seem to find anything that is relatively the same. Everyone has a different view.... Which is fine when it comes to politics... But come on!!!! The weather is what it is!! right?

So what's the real deal?

I'm contemplating moving my family from Southern California to Seattle. But, before you say I'm crazy... Let me say this... We live at the beach in Orange county... But we have literally been to the beach 4 times in the past 10 years. So we are not beach people by a long shot! My partner can't be in the sun due to potential skin cancer. I'm at home with my kids indoors doing homework, living life and making dinner.... So we really don't use the outdoors as far as the sun is concerned. But with that being said... How much does the sun play a part of our psychological everyday lives? If I lived in a larger home, with family and things to do... how bad is it? Am I going to chase my kids around with a hatchet because I'm gonna go mad?

Can someone explain the weather to me? The millions of people that live in Seattle cannot be all going crazy? or are they?

HELP? I wanna get out of The OC!!!!!
What's so hard to understand about RAIN, RAIN, RAIN AND MORE RAIN. And, yes, we are all crazy around here, otherwise we would be somewhere else. So, if you want to go stark raving mad, come ahead and come here. And while your at it, bring your hatchet, you'll need it to fight the white man. We still like to collect scallops and nail them to our front door posts. The one with the most scallops wins k :

Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM

195 posts, read 378,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
As others have said, it doesn't rain as much as you'd think per the stereotype, but it is cloudy quite a bit. Having lived in L.A. for a time - and as someone who visits there often as I have family and friends there - I think the biggest difference between L.A. and Seattle in terms of the weather is how the people behave when the sun doesn't come out. In L.A., when it is slightly chilly or rainy, people don't go outside.
Indeed. I know people who simply stop going to school/college on the days it rains!
Couple that with the terrible air quality on most hot days in LA and (for me) there's not much to like.

16 Years there now feels like 15 too long ... making the move to Seattle has so far been the best thing we ever did (although this will be our first full winter here!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area