Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM

278 posts, read 636,291 times

Advertisements

Last time I was in Seattle I was struck by how ugly everyone was downtown around the 3rd and Pike area. I grew up in Seattle but I've been in other cities for the last few years and demographic of the area of Seattle was surprisingly ugly and horribly dressed. I didn't remember it that way at all though. It was only after being elsewhere and coming by that I realized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Last time I was in Seattle I was struck by how ugly everyone was downtown around the 3rd and Pike area. I grew up in Seattle but I've been in other cities for the last few years and demographic of the area of Seattle was surprisingly ugly and horribly dressed. I didn't remember it that way at all though. It was only after being elsewhere and coming by that I realized.
3rd & Pike, really? I wouldn't say that's a fair comparison.

People here are no uglier than anywhere else. What is different is how much effort people put into looking pretty. Women wear less makeup than elsewhere, our style of dress is more casual, we're not really into plastic surgery. The Eastside does look more polished than Seattle, though.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
Bedazzled guido jeans are still en vogue in the Eastside, so that says something.

In Seattle-proper, traditionally attractive people get good treatment in some places and scowly, bad treatment in others. I imagine it all cancels out no matter what you look like.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I was in a coffee shop drinking coffee and surfing, and this really hot HOT babe walked in! She really distracted me till she left. So I guess if there are ugly people (I was there!), there are some who definitely are not. Maybe not as many of those as in downtown Toronto, but I found enough to ogle.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
I've worked with countless beautiful women in my career in Seattle. Very few people strike me as "ugly." Most people - without makeup - are really very average looking. Not even Hollywood celebrities (trust me, I know). But put some eye makeup and lipstick on a woman, and she can look completely different. So when you're in a city like Seattle where some women don't wear ANY makeup, you'll see a lot of plain Janes in comparison with cities where fashion and appearances are what really matter.

It always seems to be men griping about the attractiveness of people in this city. I find it amusing, because do they think that women love the uncombed long hair, skinny jeans, Microsoft/Google logo tees, scraggly beard, baseball cap covering the bald head look that they're sporting? It's enough to make you wish MEN wore makeup.

ETA: I think it's worth noting that if one is walking around in downtown Seattle, there is a HUGE possibility that a lot of the people they'll see are tourists. If you're in the financial district they may not be tourists, but if you're down around Westlake, Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory, Convention Center and several hotels, you could be looking at a lot of out-of-towners.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 AM

How about in the U district?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
Pine Street from 4th Ave to 8th Ave is the epicenter of hot.

Everett is the opposite.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Gee, maybe I should check THIS out on my next visit.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
there are a lot more ugly and overweight people around than i thought. i'm no hunk myself but i see more fat people than i thought i would before i came up here.

in other words, you'll be fine.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,151 times
I moved from so. CA a few years ago, and to be honest, I at first I found a lot of people here to be a bit weird looking. But meh, maybe I'm just wasn't used to the faces.
Now everyone looks the same to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area