U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,113 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I am currently living in Oklahoma City. I am 22 years old. I have two children. My oldest is 4 and the youngest is 3. I have a passion to do something big with my life and I won't let my passions die. I know it will be hard work but I am looking to move to the Seattle area. I was wondering how much you all think I would need to save to move so far? I am currently making 2,000 monthly before taxes. I have two years of dental assistant and front office experience. Would I be able to make it on my own? Any advice helps....thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,192,649 times
I would not advise you to move here. At least not unless you find a higher paying job and have more experience or education in your field. Do you have a bachelor's degree? That is generally required to find a good job here (this is one of the most educated metro areas in the country).

Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM

118 posts, read 271,059 times
Do you have a spouse to help you with the children? Or receive child support? Thumbs up to you for providing for your children on that salary but Seattle would be really, really hard on that amount of money.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 AM

No bachelor degree. and my spouse (their dad) is not willing to move with me. He wants to stay in Oklahoma. oklahoma is just not the place I see myself forever. So maybe with a degree it would be easier to move there.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM

7,747 posts, read 14,575,570 times
Not just any degree, you'll need to see what industry is here that you might be interested in working for. Honestly, I'll be the dissenting voice and say go for it. But be sure to have the proper expectations. It'll be hard but the rewards could be great.

I have a neighbor who moved here with their two kids about a month ago, they got an apartment in an affordable area (which unfortunately doesn't come with excellent school district) and have no furniture. DH and I are giving them couches, beds and a couple other things to get started. So believe me, there are people of low income and/or desperate situations moving here as well. Once you get started, get educated here and start being upwardly mobile.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Thank you! I was thinking the same. Its not like I have everything I need here. Any where I go I am going to have to work my way up. Which I'm up for the challenge. I have been doing research on the Seattle area and I just have a really good feeling about it. I realize I wont be able to move in downtown Seattle or any thing.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 11,451,726 times
I say go for it. But not yet. I would recommend $5k at a bare minimum and $10k would be better, especially with kids. I'd also recommend having a good reliable car. Don't let your life be a series of "what ifs". Come on up, but be prepared.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 PM

21 posts, read 65,748 times
Sorry, but this just does not seem workable or reasonable at this time in your life. If I am reading this right you intend to leave your kids' dad very far away and move to an expensive city with no support system and limited income producing job skills. Assuming 2000 per month take home pay, after rent and day care there will be very little left to pay for utilities, transportation and food.

Seattle is a wonderful city, but one does have to be realistic. Otherwise you and your precious children might wind up living in your car. Passion is a wonderful thing and I encourage you to improve your education and make a real plan to turn your dreams into reality rather than just hoping things will turn out OK. It's one thing to try (and possibly fail) when you are young and single, but doing the same thing as the mother to young children is another entirely.

It is absolutely do-able to come to Seattle, but you have to have a good plan and that will take time to put together. Also, unless there are compelling reasons, I wonder about the wisdom of taking young kids away from one of their parents.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,192,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELODY-S View Post
Sorry, but this just does not seem workable or reasonable at this time in your life. If I am reading this right you intend to leave your kids' dad very far away and move to an expensive city with no support system and limited income producing job skills. Assuming 2000 per month take home pay, after rent and day care there will be very little left to pay for utilities, transportation and food.

Seattle is a wonderful city, but one does have to be realistic. Otherwise you and your precious children might wind up living in your car. Passion is a wonderful thing and I encourage you to improve your education and make a real plan to turn your dreams into reality rather than just hoping things will turn out OK. It's one thing to try (and possibly fail) when you are young and single, but doing the same thing as the mother to young children is another entirely.

It is absolutely do-able to come to Seattle, but you have to have a good plan and that will take time to put together. Also, unless there are compelling reasons, I wonder about the wisdom of taking young kids away from one of their parents.
I agree. If the OP were to make the same salary here that she does at home, it would be thousands less than I made at my first job out of college 12 years ago...which was not enough to even allow me to move into my own apartment. I had to move home with my parents for a while. After I got a raise to $30k+ I was able to get a cute little apartment with a roommate in the northeast suburbs. I didn't have kids at the time and was barely getting by, so I can't imagine trying to make it work in the OP's circumstances. Sure, she might be able to do it if she lives in a low income and/or unsafe area, but it's hard for me to believe that that would be better than her current situation. I don't think we should be encouraging people to move here if there is a good chance they don't have the resources to support themselves when they get here.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Thank u guys for the posts. I agree too. I do think it would be hard on me and my kids. I will one day move there but it wont be anytime soon. I do appriciate your advice though. As for their dad. If you knew him you would know why I am trying to move that far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area