Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 AM

11 posts, read 18,675 times

Advertisements

I’ll be visiting Seattle and Washington State for the first time next week.

What should I see? Locals, what would you say are the quintessential Seatlle sights/places that you shouldn't leave the city without seeing or experiencing? Any hotel recommendations?

Also, what are some of Washington States natural wonders that you would consider must-sees this time of year? I am into hiking and camping and will have gear.

Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 02:52 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,060,473 times
1. Space Needle
2. Alki Beach
3. Green Lake
4. Golden Gardens
5. Seward Park
6. Columbia Tower
7. Queen Anne (Kerry Park)
8. CenturyLink Field
9. Bellevue
10. Kirkland (Lake Washington)

Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
There is far more to see outside of Seattle if you have the time, especially for a nature/hiking person.

Hurricane Ridge (Olympic Mountains beyond Port Angeles)
Marymere Falls at Lake Crescent
Snoqualmie Falls, Snoqualmie (near North Bend)
Columbia River Gorge
North Cascades Highway to Winthrop

Google them

Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM

615 posts, read 1,071,010 times
In Seattle the Waterfront, Space needle, Seattle Aquarium, the Seattle Center and possibly a Ferry ride across the sound.

Statewide would be Mt Rainier, Olympic National Park, a beach with sea life (tide pools).

Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 AM

653 posts, read 1,797,248 times
Arboretum
Art Museum
Flight Museum

Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM

507 posts, read 1,663,794 times
You can do so much amazing hiking here that you'll never want to go back home. Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics is a good starting point for some hikes with amazing views, so are both Sunrise and Paradise in Mt Rainier National Park. Cascade Pass in the North Cascades National Park is one of the most impressive day hikes I have done so far. The beaches on the Olympic Coast are fantastic with nice trails and backcountry camping. (Cape Alava for example). If you want something really close to Seattle I recommend the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area. I just went backpacking there, there's a trailhead exactly 50 miles from Seattle that gives you access to Snow Lake which is a very popular hike and often busy (for a reason) but you can then go further to Gem Lake and the Wildcat Lakes and there you are virtually on your own withing amazing scenery.

I'd recommend you get a couple of hiking/backpacking books for the area. Personally I like the Mountaineers series very much. They've got a backpacking Washington book and then several day hike books for individual areas - Olympics, North Cascades, Snoqualmie Region, Mt Rainier etc...

Here are pictures of most of the hikes that I've been doing in the past two years, should give you an idea what the different areas look like: Collection: Walks and Hikes

You can check trip reports for most hikes on wta.org. You are coming in early October so most trails will be snow-free but it can get quite cold at higher altitudes, especially at night, so come prepared if you plan to stay out there over night. Enjoy your trip!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,555,654 times
If you're into nice views, the Smith Tower and Columbia Center both have observation decks. The Smith Tower is the oldest skyscrapper in Seattle, and the Columbia Center is the biggest building. They're both way cheaper than Space Needle (which has the best view of downtown, but not really that high). I also hear Pike is nice, but I personally haven't had a chance to go.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM

118 posts, read 294,083 times
Take a ferry to the San Juans. Hike and kayak there.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,183,573 times
If you are willing to drive a couple hours up north, hands down one of the best places to visit in Ross/Diablo lake in the North Cascades.

The water is an incredible color even up close and in person, really a sight to be seen and there's a dam up there to check out as well, really a cool place and well worth the trip.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM

5,250 posts, read 4,642,284 times
If you were for some reason only able to see just one of Washington's natural wonders it would have to be the Columbia Gorge area. This is a place that has drawn people from all over the globe, leaving Vancouver heading east on hwy 14 you will experience a scenic transformation that is truly jaw dropping. Go up to the Bridge Of The God's and cross over the river to Oregon and proceed to east to the small towns, mountainous beauty that seems to rise from the water, greens of every hue, coupled with the bluest skies makes this place the memorable jewell of the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area