Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:48 AM

9 posts, read 71,305 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have accepted a job offer with Amazon (Ruby/SLU) and I was wondering if they offered a gym for the employees. I looked online, but all I could find was Rain Fitness, but even then it didn't give a whole lot of information. I suppose I could always ask my to-be-manager about it, but given that I still have a couple of weeks to really finalize the paper work, I wanted to know if any one of you could shed some light on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 AM

507 posts, read 1,668,462 times
as far as I know there is not gym for employees but you discounts for a few places including rain fitness. At least one of the newer buildings also has a gym in it but not Ruby, it's one of the buildings on the other side of Denny. I personally go to 24h Fitness at Denny and Stewart.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,269 times
How does one get a job at Amazon? I'm an accredited Program Manager with an MBA and have applied for 43 jobs there in the past month.

Granted, some of those jobs have been posted since May. Maybe they're just overwhelmed. But I'm wondering how it's done?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
as far as I know there is not gym for employees but you discounts for a few places including rain fitness. At least one of the newer buildings also has a gym in it but not Ruby, it's one of the buildings on the other side of Denny. I personally go to 24h Fitness at Denny and Stewart.
Thanks for the reply! What kind of discounts do you get to these gyms? And/or how much do you pay for 24h Fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
How does one get a job at Amazon? I'm an accredited Program Manager with an MBA and have applied for 43 jobs there in the past month.
Granted, some of those jobs have been posted since May. Maybe they're just overwhelmed. But I'm wondering how it's done?
I actually got contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. I had updated my profile and I was contacted right away. I don't know how it works, but perhaps they get notified when people's profiles contain some keywords? At any rate, after that I went through a couple of phone interviews then an on-site. I think the best way to apply to a job is through someone who works there.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM

35 posts, read 197,154 times
My husband and I looked at Rain but it's very small and doesn't have much of a free-weights area. If you're primarily interested in cardio it should be alright though in my opinion very overpriced for what you get. I'd already decided against it when the guy tried to sign us up so I wasn't paying attention to the Amazon discount - it wasn't very significant; I think a discount off some admin fee or something.

24 Hour Fitness is also in the area and monstrously cheap if you buy a membership at Costco ($350 for 2 years). It was very busy when we toured it, not the cleanest gym I've ever seen, and again the weight-lifting area wasn't ideal but it was quite large and much better equipped than Rain. Another plus is that it had a pool.

We go to Club Zum, which is at 7th and Stewart. The corporate discount there is something like a few hundred a year (we pay around $1800 for a couple's membership). Zum has the best weights area of all the gyms we saw, and it's never really busy so we don't have to wait for anything. It's a lot more expensive than 24 Hour Fitness (and I think roughly on par with Rain, but don't quote me on that!) but it was worth it for us.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks, Mousetron! That's a bummer, because my current company has a gym, although not great, that's accessible to all employees. I will definitely need a good free-weight area than cardio as I'm into strength training, so I'll be sure to check out both 24hr and Club Zum. Thank you!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
I work in one of the newer buildings that has a small gym. It isn't great but there are a few treadmills and stuff like that (similar to the kind of workout room at a hotel).

I also have 24 hour fitness but it does get a little too crowded.

I had membership at Equinox in LA and that gym was awesome. I haven't seen anything like it here (yet) where you have a pool, very clean locker rooms and showers with spa amenities, and a price point that's high enough to weed out the riff raff...resulting in no lines for any machines ever.

RVD.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
I used to go to the Pro Club on Eastlake. That's a super-clean gym with lots of machines and never a line when I was there. It's also quite close to Amazon. Unfortunately I'm not a good source for how much they were a month or what their monthly contract was like since my employer was picking up the tab. In particular the locker rooms were very clean and completely stocked with stuff like shampoo, hairspray, blow dryers, shower gel, etc... Only time I ever willingly showered at a gym.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverize View Post
Thanks for the reply! What kind of discounts do you get to these gyms? And/or how much do you pay for 24h Fitness?
I am not sure how much the discounts are but they are usually not massive, like 10% off monthly fees and no sign-up fee.

24h is very large and has many classes, it's also really cheap, I pay 28 per month or so but as the others say, it gets busy at peak times, although never busy enough to make you wait. I used to go there right from the office at 6:30 or 7 when it appears to be at its busiest but you always find a treadmill/bike etc to warm up and downstairs where there are lots of machines of all kinds you never have to queue either.

The only area where the business is really a problem is the locker room. You always find a locker but there is very little space to sit down and get changed, definitely not always enough personal space

The pool and sauna area is nice but I have some trouble with the hygiene there...there are rules posted on the wall but most people just ignore them. People go into the sauna straight from exercising without a shower, or in the pool. The worst are the people who go straight from the sauna (all sweaty) into the whirlpool...it's not rocket science to understand that that's a little disgusting....

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Thank you, all, for your inputs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area