Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM

178 posts, read 584,626 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood in the photo looks like one of the pictures used in the book Suburban Nation to demonstrate how NOT to structure a neighborhood. It is the sort of place where one must get in a car and drive to get anywhere...drive to the hair salon...drive to the gym...drive to the grocery store...drive for a 1/4 mile or so just to get out of the housing tract. Where I live I have all of these amenities within a few blocks radius and can walk to them or take public transit or drive. This said, I understand the appeal of these sorts of communities for families with young kids and I grew up in a neighborhood not terribly unlike it. For many other people however, especially young singles and older folks with difficulty driving these sorts of places are less appealing than having all life's amenities within easy distance of one's residence. It's why so many empty nesters have sold their suburban homes and moved back into a nice condo in the city once the kids are out and on their own. To each his own though...different people are looking for different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Those pictures are definitely evidence of Californication. Not my cup of tea.

People seem to think this is somehow progress, which amazes me.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,332 times
It is the unfortunate thing that happens when a place becomes a very desirable place to live. It has happened in many places across the country...including California. This popularity of an area creates a playground for developers who build to make money....not create great neighbrhoods. These homes are not designed by talented architects, they are often bulider creations with no creativity. It's just sad, sad, sad. I guess there are people that want to live in PUDs, but I really don't understand why. But then again. I live in a house built in 1895 and love it....so I'm probably not the developers target market. = )

Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM

178 posts, read 584,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
This popularity of an area creates a playground for developers who build to make money....not create great neighbrhoods.
Exactly...

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
In some ways, the entire United States is becoming like California. It's just like that song "Californication" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Certain examples of this include obsessions with body image, rising housing prices and overall cost of living, overcrowding, illegal immigrants, greed/materialism, rudeness, and oh yeah...bad driving habits (certain habits are named after California because they were invented there, such as "the California stop" or "California roll").

Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
In some ways, the entire United States is becoming like California. It's just like that song "Californication" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Certain examples of this include obsessions with body image, rising housing prices and overall cost of living, overcrowding, illegal immigrants, greed/materialism, rudeness, and oh yeah...bad driving habits (certain habits are named after California because they were invented there, such as "the California stop" or "California roll").
California has not always been the way it is now, but people say that California is at the front of the trends....so it happens first in Calif. and then the rest of the country follows. I think what is happening in Calif. is a product of our materialist culture, etc. and other factors that are not unique to Cali.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:15 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
I think those pictures are a horrible representation of our neighborhood. I offer these in rebuttal:

V. =)

Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM

223 posts, read 1,274,974 times
Looks just as bad to my eye. Cougar Mountain area of Issaquah I assume?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:19 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
Looks just as bad to my eye. Cougar Mountain area of Issaquah I assume?
No VeronikaW and I are in the Issaquah Highlands. It's like a self contained city of it's own. It just keeps growing too. It's nice at the moment but I could see it being a ghetto in 25 years.

It's got pink houses too! That's very California!

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4620/highlands2ye5.jpg (broken link)

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6694/highlands4np6.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM

some of those pics make it look a bit more charming, but it is still a bit too cookie-cutter for my taste. with the seattle freeze people talk about I wonder about people choosing to live so close to one another. = )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area