Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaie View Post
However, I am starting to notice a similarity between this article

Border wall with California now!

and some of the changes that have been wrought here (Ballard) by hordes of incoming settlers from the land of the Guvernator.
Listen, that article is an hilarious rant
As I have had, apparently, a 'too dry' sense of humor in the past, which set off a few Californians who had, apparently, 'zero' sense of humor, I'll refrain from ranting again, myself -- lest I be 'cut off' and 'edited out' again. No offense intended.

But, let me just enjoy this occasion to admit that it really isn't Californians who are the problem ... all wrong with that species [Californicus Ridiculoses] is really just a predictable extension of what happens when any primates find the "promised land". All primates (yes, including me) are Nasty creatures who foul their own spaces and then blame the nearest troupe of other primates and proceed to go war against same in order to score new spaces. Living in a perfect environment for personal comfort and food production is a devastatingly sinister, insipid, insidious, and pernicious state. Beware! Resist! Thank God for harsh and difficult environments!

oooops! ... I'm in danger of revving up for ranting again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Listen, that article is an hilarious rant
As I have had, apparently, a 'too dry' sense of humor in the past, which set off a few Californians who had, apparently, 'zero' sense of humor, I'll refrain from ranting again, myself -- lest I be 'cut off' and 'edited out' again. No offense intended.

But, let me just enjoy this occasion to admit that it really isn't Californians who are the problem ... all wrong with that species [Californicus Ridiculoses] is really just a predictable extension of what happens when any primates find the "promised land". All primates (yes, including me) are Nasty creatures who foul their own spaces and then blame the nearest troupe of other primates and proceed to go war against same in order to score new spaces. Living in a perfect environment for personal comfort and food production is a devastatingly sinister, insipid, insidious, and pernicious state. Beware! Resist! Thank God for harsh and difficult environments!

oooops! ... I'm in danger of revving up for ranting again
Actually that was kind of funny lol

Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM

256 posts, read 479,524 times
I'm aggravated by anyone who moves here.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I'm not aggravated by Californians as much as I am in general ignorant people who lump entire populations together and paint it all as one, when it was totally a very mixed lot. (Yes I realize the irony of my statement)

And let's not start on Ballard. If you weren't all depressed and wishing for the good ol' days of the 1970s when prostitution, drugs, crime, and homelessness were rampant, you'd realize that Ballard is in actuality a nice place to live and play.

Just chill out and enjoy what this area does have to offer. Things change, and people change, for better or worse. Deal with it. Don't like it? Well ... in such a large city if you can't find SOME people who you like to hang out with, I feel sorry for your lack of sociability.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
The article the OP posted was pretty funny, and I realize (I hope), that this was meant to be a lighthearted thread, but that article perpetuates a misconception that I've seen quite often in regards to outsiders coming in and ruining places. Californians don't come places and desecrate the land to build big houses, natives build big houses (or jack up the prices of pre-built houses) out of greed to lure buyers from other places where real estate is more expensive. People get all pissy at the people buying houses, but they need to look at the developers building them.

Sorry, that just irks me.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM

328 posts, read 839,171 times
Nope. What I find aggravating is that any one would take the time to generalize about Californians or any other group.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM

328 posts, read 839,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
The article the OP posted was pretty funny, and I realize (I hope), that this was meant to be a lighthearted thread, but that article perpetuates a misconception that I've seen quite often in regards to outsiders coming in and ruining places. Californians don't come places and desecrate the land to build big houses, natives build big houses (or jack up the prices of pre-built houses) out of greed to lure buyers from other places where real estate is more expensive. People get all pissy at the people buying houses, but they need to look at the developers building them.

Sorry, that just irks me.
Exactly! I'm with you.

Every place has an issue with "outsiders" coming in and "ruining" what they have. All the while, not realizing that at one time they or their parents or grandparents were once the outsiders and viewed the same way.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,197 times
I'm aggravated by the people who are aggravated about Californians.

Seriously, there has to be some form of litmus test to decide who is able to move here? Come on.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM

159 posts, read 626,153 times
It's been my observation that all outsiders here are called "Californians." I was both appalled and amused the time a coworker told me that she was sick of people moving to Seattle (she knew I had moved there the year before, and she was serious). Ah, Seattleites. The people of my hometown would sure love to have this "problem."

Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Californians seem to just have a harder time assimilating than others do. If they'd just submit to the mizzle, buy some keens and cover their tanned bodies with fleece and gortex, we'd have no problem. But no, they go and walk around town in a bikini and plant palm trees all over the place. Weirdos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area