Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 PM

58 posts, read 111,538 times

Advertisements

Ira500... Oh you are good! You know how to spend some money! haha those are definitely higher end neighborhoods. We'd essentially be the low men on the totem pole. It looks like there are one or two homes in each of those neighborhoods we could afford. The homes are older which we don't mind. But location... location... location!!!! love it! Thank you for showing me those hoods. I will definitely scout those areas out.

I see that Redmond, Woodinville are a bit far out there. Based on traffic alone.... how long would it take to get to Bellevue or Seattle from those areas? I have mapquested them... but sometimes the traffic ideas they give you are much different from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,287,468 times
Remond borders Bellevue, so easy schmeesy along Bel-Red Rd. To downtown Bellevue from some residential parts of Redmond, maybe 10-15 minutes? Woodinville's a little further....and to address the point of Sammamish being Stepford? Yes and no. There are lots of newer construction large homes in developments, and the latest trend is huge houses on tiny lots, which is so not me, but other people like that. And there is no "downtown Sammamish", it is mostly a series of strip malls. So how isn't it like Stepford? A couple of reasons. One is that there are still rural parts of Sammamish and nice homes on Lake Sammamish, Tand great parks like Pine Lake and Beaver Lake. The other is the demographics. Stepford I think you need to be blonde. Sammamish has a lot of Asian folks, especially Indians, in addition to blondes. Gays, Jews, and Blacks? Maybe not so much.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,876,271 times
My two cents worth ... I believe you'd be far happier in Seattle ... the Eastside seems very similar to OC to me ... lots of cookie cutter homes requiring freeway drives to get to the city. Look at the neighborhoods in Seattle that Ira is suggesting. You can make the schools work ... I did it for five kids.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM

24 posts, read 41,470 times
There are tons of conservatives here. I live and work in Edmonds. Think of all the great heated debates you will have. A guy at work was just telling me how he thinks Obama apologized to the Libyans and that we should nuke them. Im the next office was a redneck hunter who attests that all of our recent wars were about oil.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM

I'm a very open minded person and realize no matter where I live there will be the good, bad, crazy and everything in between. I'm open to it all as long as the good considerably outweighs the bad. I don't mind conservatives. Financially speaking I should be. But my social and civil rights always come first in my book. You don't know what conservative crazy is until you have lived in San Clemente, CA. Home of The Western White House! Get me out of here!!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM

I was thinking more about Mercer Island. Is Mercer Island a bubble in itself? it seems like it's not part of Seattle nor part of Bellevue or the East Side. opinions please???

Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,251,615 times
Come to the wonderful neighborhoods in Seattle proper! The neighborhoods are vibrant, colorful, charming and completely open-hearted and gay friendly. Although not all the schools are perfect (any place with a little "flavor" is the same) many are exceptional. There are also loads of affordable cooperative and progressive private schools.

I think you would LOVE Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, Phinney Ridge!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 AM

768 posts, read 716,221 times
I moved from OC to the Seattle area last June. I agree with 'homesinseattle.' Ballard, Phinney Ridge & I would add Greenwood are well worth checking out. They are very similar to Belmont Shore & Belmont Heights in Long Beach, California. Greenwood in particular seems to be going thru a re-vitalization, with young families updating (not McMansionizing) the California Bungelow style houses. It seems it's a quick 15-20 minutes to anywhere from these areas. My cousin has been living in Bellevue since the early '90's & says it's very Republican. I am living in Shoreline, which is a city just north of Seattle in King County. I'm renting until I decide where I want to buy. It's sort of non-descript, quiet, pretty. I can't help you with the schools other than to say I have heard Ballard schools are good. Hope that helps a little?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 AM

I strongly second the Greenwood idea. I live quite close to there, the area between 80th and 85th on Greenwood Ave is bursting alive right now with little pubs opening, brewhouses, restaurants, bookstores, galleries. I think the homes in that area are one of the best values in town, particularly north of 85th and east of greenwood.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 AM

Greenwood is fantastic, I live near there, Loads of creativity and places opening: brewhouses, pubs, bookstores, seems like an epicenter for excellent middle eastern food in Seattle, top notch library, galleries. I also think the prices of the homes North of 85th and east of Greenwood Ave are some most attractive for what you get in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area