Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,993 times

Advertisements

Will be relocating to the area to work at a job in Renton. Trying to decide where to live but don't quite understand what is done for before school and after school care. I currently live on the east coast where parents that work a normal 9 to 5 can drop kids off at school as early as 6:30am and pick them up by 6:00pm for a small fee. I saw a couple of after school programs in Washington that end at 4:20, which wouldn't give me enough time to finish my work day or travel to pick them up.

So what do you working parents do? Need advice fast because I have a lot of major decisions to make.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Here the public schools don't do that. There are some Boys & Girls Clubs that provide that service. The one in Federal Way does it. Most people just pay several hundred a month for before and after day care at a pre-school that goes to age 12, with transportation to the schools. After age 12 they just let them go home alone unless there is an older sibling, or arrange their work schedules so one parent is there before and one after school.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
The YMCA works with many schools, some have onsite before and after and some have transportation to other facilities. You will need to address before and after school care on an individual basis depending on the district and the school and it won't necessarily be cheap; it will just depend on the location and providers. Onsite can be competitive with waiting lists requiring transportation to other locations. Hemlock is right, it typically ends after 6th grade.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Thank you both for your responses. It looks like this transition may be a little more difficult than I realized.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
There's also the Communiy Day School Association in Seattle that runs after school programs at about eight schools, including Hawthorn, Leschi, Madrona, and Montlake.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,851 times
I live in Renton and my son's school does before and after school care. There are a few in the Renton school district that provide this through the YMCA at the school site. It usually goes 7am to 6pm. It does go through 5th grade. They do transport from another school that is nearby that does not offer the service. There are also other places, like Kindercare that does before and after school care at their site and they transport to and from the school. And just so that you know, Renton schools have a late start Friday. That means that all the schools in the school district start 90 minutes later than the usual 8:30. The YMCA program at the schools and places like Kindercare allow the same time for drop off as always.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area