Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 AM

16 posts, read 41,486 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Seattle and I have read lots of posts on traffic and long commutes to work in downtown Seattle. What are the transportation options there if we bought a house in Bellevue, Sammamish or Issaquah? Google maps shows a 30 min drive but I am sure that cant be the case at rush hour. Are there public transit options from these areas? If so, does it save time and sanity? Is there a public transportation website that I may be able to locate info? Also, if we were to drive to Seattle to work, would parking be a huge ordeal/expensive? Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiscuit View Post
We may be moving to Seattle and I have read lots of posts on traffic and long commutes to work in downtown Seattle. What are the transportation options there if we bought a house in Bellevue, Sammamish or Issaquah? Google maps shows a 30 min drive but I am sure that cant be the case at rush hour. Are there public transit options from these areas? If so, does it save time and sanity? Is there a public transportation website that I may be able to locate info? Also, if we were to drive to Seattle to work, would parking be a huge ordeal/expensive? Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.
If you are using google maps... you do know that they have the Public transit button (next to the walking and biking button)? But generally yes, there is Public transit in the area as well as Park and Rides. Look to Soundtransit website to get an idea of your bus options: Sound Transit Home - SoundTransit

Parking in Seattle: Personally I don't think its worth it to drive to Seattle DT unless your company can provide a parking space for you. Otherwise, expect to pay at very mininum $200/mo for those garages/lots. On-street parking isn't a viable option anymore.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM

127 posts, read 401,376 times
I have been commuting from Sammamish and Issaquah to DT Seattle (5th Ave) for 2 years now - always on the bus, I have never driven to work.

For me it's great, about 1hr door to door and I can read, sleep or relax on the bus. My company gives me a Orca card too, so it costs me nothing. I believe DT parking is around $25 per day?

I now drive to the Issaquah Highlands P&R and take the 218 from there. It leaves around every 7-10 minutes during rush hour. But it can get quite full, so I sometimes do have to stand on the way in and often on the way back. The bus uses the HOV lanes which begin at Issaquah on the I-90 and then enter the transit tunnels in Seattle, so there are few issues with traffic queues.
The buses are clean and reliable and all the people on them are other commuters so there is no problem there.

When I was choosing a place to live, I always used Google Maps to time my journey from the house to my office using public transport. If it took too long or involved a bus transfer I generally ruled that place out.

The Metro site has the timetables too; Metro Transit - We'll Get You There
And I also use OneBusAway

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I live in Sammamish and commute on the 216 bus daily, despite having to walk 1 mile at the Seattle end from the bus tunnel to my waterfront office. I drive 3 miles to the South Sammamish Park & Ride, about 2 miles closer than the Highlands, and the 216 is not as crowded as the 218. I did drive at first, we get free parking as well as subsidized Orca card, but I find the bus far more relaxing since the traffic on I90 has gotten so bad with the people avoiding the toll on 520. On 520 you can still drive to work in Seattle in 20 minutes, you just have to pay for the tolls both ways. On I90 it's about the same before 6:30 but after that may be 45 minutes, and coming home add another 15-30 minutes from 3:30 on.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM

123 posts, read 245,065 times
My daughter and her husband live in the heart of Bellevue and she rides the bus to her job
on 2nd Avenue in DT Seattle every work day. Sweet commute across the lake and very quick.
She would never consider driving again. Parking costs are outrageous, and the buses are newer,
and filled with business types, so generally very safe.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Why not live in one of the great neighborhoods that surround Seattle on the Seattle side? They are charming, very connected and your commuting life would be easier.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
Metro will tweak crowded Issaquah Highlands, West Seattle bus lines | Seattle Times

Hopefully things will get better for Issaquah Highlands commuters after the recent schedule and route changes made things worse. I'm an Eastgate commuter (generally three days a week or so) and now I won't be able to use 218, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
I now drive to the Issaquah Highlands P&R and take the 218 from there. It leaves around every 7-10 minutes during rush hour. But it can get quite full, so I sometimes do have to stand on the way in and often on the way back.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Metro will tweak crowded Issaquah Highlands, West Seattle bus lines | Seattle Times

Hopefully things will get better for Issaquah Highlands commuters after the recent schedule and route changes made things worse. I'm an Eastgate commuter (generally three days a week or so) and now I won't be able to use 218, apparently.
The problem is that when they moved the 212 out of the tunnel to the streets, those people all started taking the 218 and the 216. The change next Monday will free up many seats on the 218, but now they will all change to the 216 (my bus) and I expect more of the Bellevue college students to start taking the 216
and use the S Sammamish Park & Ride instead of the Highlands P & R.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
You guys would probably like this, "A Million Cool Things to Do in Seattle": A Million Cool Things To Do In Seattle | Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area