Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeseattle View Post
<-- BEGINNING OF RANT -->

It's funny that you mention "little huddles". I just about choked! We currently live across the street from a very religious family with lots of kids... if ya catch my drift! The wife is super nice to us. But the husband wants NOTHING to do with us. Won't say hello, won't wave and is blatantly rude when he is engaged by one of us. To be honest I love pushing his buttons. I think it makes him nervous. Once a week they have either family come over or others from church. They bring bibles or something that looks like a bible and have gatherings. That is the worst day of the week for us as it seems that everyone knows we are the "gays across the street". The majority of them won't even make eye contact or say hello. Not that I'm soliciting a friendly response.. But it would be nice when you parked directly in front of my house that you'd say hello if i happen to be standing there. I hate being ignored!

<-- END OF RANT -->
Hmm... I take it you're just ready to leave? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
The presumption by someone that their "religious" beliefs and way of life makes them better than someone else has always nauseated me.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I went to an improvisational comedy performance held at a church a few years ago near Maple Valley. Prior to the show, we sat at big tables for coffee and refreshments. People came over to socialize, and more than once, people asked me where my " home church" was. I know they were just trying to be friendly and make conversation, so I held back the voice in my head that wanted to answer " I'm a Communist Athiest Homosexual.", or " None of your business." But still, I'm in sales. I know when the fangs are out and they're looking for fresh blood. They wanted to save me, God Bless 'em. But I just wanted to be left alone, and told them I didn't live anywhere close by.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM

96 posts, read 234,707 times
Well, fundamental religion is so widespread anymore that it is difficult to escape. We've lived all over. Nashville, Tennessee, the Franklin area, especially, is probably one of the most openly diverse places we've lived. Friends from the Midwest (conservative friends) said, don't go to the West Coast, they are so liberal! So, we went (haha!), of course there were many more factors involved in this decision, I'm not a flippant idiot. And I am finding that still it is very conservative. In all actuality, much more so than I realized. I've lived in South King County and am now in Snohomish. I am in management and we have had so many customers come in just assuming we go to church and are Christian (hey, non-Christians are nice people who have morals, too) and will go on and on about "awful gays" and "baby killers" and it just makes me ill. Of course with the upcoming election it has gotten much more frequent. And then there was the customer who went on the mission trip to convert Hindu people overseas. She talked about the steps they take to lure them in by gaining their trust first. She said they are clueless about what is happening and then next thing you know, they've converted. Wow! I am just floored by all of this. In Nashville, I rarely heard this type of talk. I love it here, though. So, I stay.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM

58 posts, read 111,764 times
seriously don't get me started on religion... I live in the Bible Belt of SoCal. I'm in the lions den and I happen to be the food. although i'm cute... But I cannot imagine I taste to good! lol Really my philosophy is live and let live. I might not understand what you do or even like what you do... But I accept what you do and i don't judge you for it..... okay well I do judge but only internally! But, I'm only human... let's just say i don't point fingers and laugh and i keep my thoughts to myself!

and you know those "awful gays"? ummm We make everything pretty! How could you hate that? lol

I did have a few Mormons come to my door a few years back. They wanted to talk about whatever it is Mormons talk about. I at that time said I was gay and they said "oh... well we'd still like to talk.. maybe we can help you!" So I agreed to let them talk with the condition that they give me equal time to talk about being gay and my life. They said that they didn't have the time for that but if I wanted to hear what they wanted to say they would stay.. I said "no thank you"!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:20 PM

96 posts, read 234,707 times
Oh my gawd, that's horrid. Cannot believe the sad things people are taught and believe growing up. They are truly the ones who are suffering.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM

74 posts, read 198,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Where do you live, seriously, we should all sit out in your front yard with rainbow shirts and just wave at them all day. Take over baked goodies. Oh and every time the husband comes out, you should wink at them (assuming you are a male) if you are female, you should hug his wife...a LOT. Oh and make sure there are lots of children running around and babies, too. We could put a sign out in the yard that says, "Welcome to gay adoption day!" LOL!! We could have SO much fun with this. Hahahaa!!!
hahaha - this cracked me up!! but i have to say, we can laugh & joke, but it doesn't make it any easier to the the person on the receiving end. just know that there are plenty of us out there who are supportive of our gay & lesbian neighbors... as a christian, what kind of lifestyle would i be leading if i spent my time fingerpointing at everyone else? life is short & we're here to love each other and learn from one another... too short for the rest of the uncomfortable BS.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 27,504 times
I registered for the sole purpose of responding here lol.

I'm a Seattle native who lived in Maple Valley from the early 90's to mid 2000's. I'm stuck in Memphis for now but we hope to move back to the region in a couple of years.

I'm straight, married, and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

The twist being that I'm inactive in the church and I have a gay son whom I'm proud of and adore.

First thing: Maple Valley is lovely. My ex-wife and I moved there from our little apartment in Tukwila when we bought a house in the early 90's. Maple Valley was extremely affordable at the time for new housing and had nice schools. The only downside for me is that I love Seattle and it's a ways to get to it.

Funny how once you settle down about 30 mins from Seattle, you very rarely go to town anymore. I worked in Kent so went to Seattle just every couple of months or less from MV.

I've been back every year since I moved to TN and it's been interesting seeing MV develop, it's looking really good but it is getting a little denser with homes all the time. Lots more traffic down at Four Corners these days, too, with the added shopping there and the added population.

It's still beautiful out there, and now with a few added conveniences so you don't have to run to Covington or Kent to go to Freddie's.

I haven't been back in there to Ravensdale though...is it growing some or is it still really sparse and rural?

Second thing: I not a model Mormon (I'm a convert), but as with any religious group you'll find some who are less tolerant than others. Personally I'm very tolerant and was gay-friendly before I even joined the church or my son was born. But I've found that many can be pretty tolerant. I've been to other churches that are openly hostile to gays in sermons....sheesh. Way to preach love and understanding.

I can say there I haven't encountered any anti-gay doctrine in the Church, but I also don't agree with the biblical stance on the subject (to which the Church adheres but doesn't 'pound' on). I have my own reasons for not going to Church....I'd be lying if I didn't say it didn't involve the position on gays as I have great friends that are (and were, RIP), and now, my son.

Anyway, lots to go on about there, apologies. Bottom line is not all Mormons are judgmental, and some may surprise you. And some will be exactly what you expect. But this is true of all the major denominations.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeseattle View Post
seriously don't get me started on religion... I live in the Bible Belt of SoCal. I'm in the lions den and I happen to be the food. although i'm cute... But I cannot imagine I taste to good! lol Really my philosophy is live and let live. I might not understand what you do or even like what you do... But I accept what you do and i don't judge you for it..... okay well I do judge but only internally! But, I'm only human... let's just say i don't point fingers and laugh and i keep my thoughts to myself!

and you know those "awful gays"? ummm We make everything pretty! How could you hate that? lol

I did have a few Mormons come to my door a few years back. They wanted to talk about whatever it is Mormons talk about. I at that time said I was gay and they said "oh... well we'd still like to talk.. maybe we can help you!" So I agreed to let them talk with the condition that they give me equal time to talk about being gay and my life. They said that they didn't have the time for that but if I wanted to hear what they wanted to say they would stay.. I said "no thank you"!
Bible belt of SoCal? You gotta be joking. I'm in Temecula. It's a conservative (for CA) town with plenty of people that go to church. That said, there is NO comparison between places like this and the real bible belt. Yes, you have the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons that come around, but other than that nobody ever pushes their religion.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Try Issaquah. Very close to Bellevue and Seattle but still more of a family feel and also close enough to Seattle to be diverse. Not so sure Maple Valley would do well for you. We lived in the area for a while and it is full of very religious folk. Nice folk and they won't tell you to your face how they feel but oh in those little huddles and in their groups they can be very hurtful with their words. It's too bad, too. It is gorgeous there. I actually think Puget Sound is very conservative. When people say it is more liberal, I don't see it that often. Oh another great place is Redmond.
Funny. I think progressives and atheists do the same thing about people who don't share their beliefs. In fact, I know they do. Let me put forth an alternative explanation. It's human nature to put down those who share beliefs you cannot fathom. A reasonable person tries to keep that in check but a lot of people do not. It's not because they are religious, progressive, atheist, conservative, etc. It's because they are human. My circle of friends includes atheists, uber religious, tea partiers, far left progressives, gays and straights. I hear my share of dissing on people of different opinions. In no way, shape, or form can I say my atheist friends don't judge or say bad things about people of faith. Unless being called an idiot is a good thing lol. I also think there is a misconception that all people hostile to gay people are religious. If I kept track of every anti gay slur I've heard in my life, by far the most would come from people who have never seen the inside of a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area